Lifestyle

Does Anyone Else Struggle with Focusing?

I’ve had an incredibly difficult time focusing on my courses this semester.  I’m usually a good student, but over the last semester, I have skipped a few classes (not many) and missed an assignment or two.  I made a D on an exam in one class, and on some days I struggle to get to show up to class on time.

I’m pretty busy, but I’m not so busy that I need more hours in the day.  I just need to prioritize better than I have been.  I haven’t been making time to work out the way that I need to in order to feel good either.  I’ve been feeling happy lately, but I have also been feeling like a lethargic, lazy procrastinator who needs to get my act together.

I take pride in my grades, but I haven’t been acting like it.  I feel good when I exercise, but I seem to have forgotten that as well.

Spending time at home is fun so I think I need to do it more often.  I suppose I need to dedicate time to my studies just as I do for other things.  My classes are not hard.  I just need to require myself to sit down and do the work.

Do you ever have trouble focusing on your tasks?  Am I the only one who needs to put my priorities back in order?

Tim
    October 24, 2013 at 4:20 am

I rely on to do lists and usually prioritise my day around what the most important thing is on that list. Its helped me become more disciplined that way and actually frees up a lot of time I never used to have when I wasn’t as organised.

mary
    October 24, 2013 at 6:55 am

i am having a difficult time lately too
    and i rely on lists alot
    and need to make them constantly

Karen
    October 24, 2013 at 10:02 am

Sugar substitutes effected my short term memory a lot. I am a lot better after giving up diet soda.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com
    October 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

i get this way too. making a to-do list is usually helpful for me. even if i don’t rely on it, its helpful just to be able to write it all down to visualize and organize it all.

good luck!

Kay
    October 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi Kenlie,
    I am the Queen of Procrastination, and have found taking a blank calendar and blocking out my time (for whatever activity I’m putting off, exercise for instance) and keeping that in a clear, obvious area. Don’t start with all your other stuff and work your studying into it…do it the other way around.

Then try to stick to it. It’s called developing a routine. Somehow writing it down in those spaces and seeing it daily helps. –Kay

Maybe give it a shot and see if it works for you?

Abigail
    October 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

I am the same way, such a procrastinator and I just get into “ruts” Being a stay at home mom my day tends to just get away from me. Like a lot of others I rely on lists. But not just daily lists, I use monthly lists etc. If I don’t have everything that needs to get done this month, in the next 6 months, I would forget when I cleaned the oven last or when I have to wash the curtains etc. I suggest you sit down with your syllabi, a large calender and a pad of paper. Don’t forget to write in time for errands and of course working out. Make sure you also set up prep time for your healthy meals, cutting up veg for the week etc. Once you’ve done this a few times, aside from your syllabi you should have it down. My goal eventually is to just be on autopilot!

Leslie
    October 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

I also struggle with focusing. This week I did not do my homework assignments. I do this a lot when I just get overwhelmed. So last week I really put a list in place of priorities, so I know each day what I need to start with. I want getting healthy to be my number one priority. So we shall see how this week goes. Really enjoy reading your posts.

Leslie