My Public Statement

I don’t talk about GOD on my blog everyday, but I have mentioned all of the changes that have occurred in me lately.  I’ve experienced life in a completely different way, and one of the biggest differences lies in the fact that I know that GOD loves me.   I believe in Him, and I believe that He lives in me.  It’s weird for me to say things like that so openly because if you’ve followed my blog very long, then you may know that I didn’t always feel that way.

I was baptized in Lake Pontchartrain Sunday afternoon.  I was baptized when I was a kid, but I did it again because I’ve spent the last several months in a totally renewed relationship with GOD.  I was so excited to publicly acknowledge my relationship with Him and my desire to commit myself to Him, and I think it’s important to do it here because I’ve committed so much of myself to this blog over the last four and a half years.  After more than a decade of feeling as though I didn’t need Him, it feels amazing to know that He is for me.

Kenlie Nola Church

Growing up as a preacher’s kid, I saw the worst parts of the church, and as a result, I turned away from GOD.  I could not have been more condescending about church goers if I tried, and I didn’t understand why anyone would waste their time surrounded by such hypocrisy and judgement.  Those things summed up church for me, and I blamed GOD for it.

Over the last few months, I have written about my desire to cultivate my relationship with Him.  I was not looking for a church home, nor did I have any interest in getting to know GOD in my adult life.  I thought I was content in making the changes that I needed to make for myself, then something happened.  I felt His presence, and I began to pray.

I asked GOD to show Himself to me, and He did.  Through prayer I found myself feeling comfort and contentment and strength that I’ve never experienced before, and people in my life started noticing a difference.  I started noticing a difference, and I needed to acknowledge it out loud so I went into a cold lake and made that statement.  (That’s my pastor, Monte Young, next to me in the middle of the photo below.)

Monte Young Kenlie Baptism Lake Pontchartrain

My outside self hasn’t changed or moved forward with weight-loss in ages, but everything is different.  I am different.    I’m constantly amazed by the love and the grace that I’ve received while I was so undeserving.  I’m still imperfect, but I’ve been set free.

If you’re still reading this post, you don’t have to worry.  I have no plans to become a pious, judgmental Bible thumper who gets spiritual about everything.  I’m still the same flawed person who is struggling to finish what I started.  I’m not going to preach to you everyday, but I am going to pray for you.  I believe that GOD  loves everyone one of us, and I want you to experience the peace that comes in knowing Him.

The more I seek Him, the more I realize that He was always there.  I am loved.  I am forgiven.  I am redeemed, and I am blessed.  I could never put into words how thankful I am for his never-ending grace, and I sincerely hope and pray that you will allow Him to work in your life too….

Eileen
    October 23, 2013 at 4:16 am

Oh, Kenlie, I think it’s wonderful! God is so gracious toward us. Welcome to the family, sistah!

Joan
    October 23, 2013 at 5:23 am

Woohoo Kenlie,! I’m so happy for you. I will pray that you continue to grow in your knowledge of God, his wonderful love for you and the blessings he has in store for you in the future.

mary
    October 23, 2013 at 6:19 am

very happy for you kenlie!

Laura
    October 23, 2013 at 7:08 am

So glad to hear about what God is doing in your life. He truly is amazing! May he continue to open your eyes and heart to all he has for you. Thank you for sharing!

Steelers6
    October 23, 2013 at 7:59 am

This post makes me happy & proud. I think it is definitely appropriate to let everyone know where you stand, since this is a big change in your life. I’m glad you found a church that works for you. Well written, you have a way with words; which is a good quality in a blogger. ha.

I think you are non judgmental & very accepting on this blog & I hope all those with positive input will continue to feel beyond welcome here.

xo Chrissy

October 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Chrissy,

It’s interesting to think about how much you know about where I’ve come from in this way…It’s different, and I am so happy about that.

Christie
    October 23, 2013 at 8:01 am

What a blessing!!!! Loved this post. You are amazing and as always you continue to inspire me. Thanks for being you. You are the real deal. I relate to you on so many levels. Have a blessed day!!!!

Karen
    October 23, 2013 at 9:01 am

I love the shirt! I have seen changes in your attitude and level of peace. Cannot wait to see how this will help heal your health too.

Mandy
    October 23, 2013 at 10:49 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Kyra
    October 23, 2013 at 11:01 am

Beautiful!

Aunt Brenda
    October 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read. You made me cry. I Love You! It sounds like you are surrounded by a wonderful church family. I am so happy about that because it makes all the difference in the world.

October 23, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I believe that it all started with Uncle Wesley’s desire to share GOD with me. I’ll never forget the moment in which I knew that He was real, and it started with Uncle W.

Suzie
    October 23, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I hope that one day you feel lucky and happy and wonderful and proud of your life without relying on an imaginery, man made entity to make you feel good about your life. I dont mean to sound harsh but I hope that one day you feel good and proud for YOU. And as an athiest even though I dont believe in God, I’m glad that at least the beliefs you have are making you a better person, because who cares how we get there as long as we do..

October 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

When I look in the mirror, I love the person that I see. That has been a long work in progress, but I’m there. You’re right, in that it feels so good to know that I’m a good person. The part I get from GOD is peace…I feel healed too, but to each their own. Your thoughts and feelings are just as valid as mine…

Lisa
    October 23, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Congrats! That is so awesome!!

Lorraine
    October 23, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I’m very proud of you. I’m so happy for you. Knowing and accepting God in your life, is the most wonderful feeling a person can have. I’m witness of how He has changed me and how He helps me in my moments of need. It is so amazing that you are leaning on Him and embracing Him. I believe that once we change on the inside it will reflects on the outside and things become easier.

Once again, I’m really proud of you!

Melissa
    October 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Good for you Kenlie! And well said 🙂

Ali Amarena
    October 23, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Amen, you are amazing. This made me cry as well.

<3 I am proud to know you, Kenlie. You are an inspiration to all,
    and your testimony is powerful and touching.

It's not about us, it's about what we can DO for the world.

October 23, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Love you, girlfriend.

Melinda
    October 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Yay! Good for you!

Tc Meagher
    October 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

Wow Kenlie, I don’t post much, but what a great blog. He is truly amazing in what He does in our lives. He lives in me and I also continue to grow. Your blog is a Blessing and thank you for sharing.

Kaitlin
    October 25, 2013 at 1:03 am

Congratulations! 🙂 This whole post reminds me of when I was baptized a few years ago. I was also baptized as a baby and grew up with a dad who was a pastor. I got away from church and let my relationship with God get pretty distant during college and a year or so after that. But I found a church and restarted that relationship, and was baptized again – in a hot tub on the church stage. I think it is WAY COOL that you were baptized in a lake!!! Anyway, you will remember this day forever, hopefully with the very best memories! God is truly amazing.

On a final (and hopefully not discouraging… that’s not what I’m aiming for!) note, in the weeks and months ahead, be aware that you may go through especially challenging things. You’ve made a public statement of faith and satan/evil forces/etc. don’t like things like that. I know I had some big challenges and when I talked to one of my mentors at church she mentioned that a lot of people had similar experiences after being baptized. 🙂 Stick close to GOD, your family, your brothers and sisters in Christ – and you can get through ANYTHING!!!

Congrats again!!! What an incredibly joyful occasion!!!

Rashell
    November 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Love your post!!

toni martin
    November 26, 2013 at 10:19 am

kenlie!!! i thought of you this morning and went to your blog! praise the Lord!!! i remember a phone conversation we had when His Light was beginning to warm your heart. oh, sweet girl! thankful thankful thankful!!!! you are an amazing young woman!!!!!

Carlene
    March 24, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Love…….God DOES believe in you. And He will further help you in your journey. Glad I followed the link from Shape!