Each week, as I write FMM, I come up with questions based on whatever is swirling around in my head, and this week, I am thinking about an important vote happening in the state of Washington tomorrow. Voters will be making a decision on whether or not to label genetically engineered foods, and if I lived in the state, I’d vote YES on 522.
There are so many questions and fears surrounding GMO’s, and I don’t have all of the answers. What I do think is that we have a right – a responsibility really – to know what we’re eating. Labeling foods that contain GMO’s means that most food that we see on shelves will be labeled, but there’s power in knowing what we’re consuming so I support it.
We already expect to see labels with nutritional info things like chips, drinks and other things so why would we choose to leave out this particular piece of information? What’s the down side? If we know what the food is made of, then we have the ability to make an informed decision about what we’re eating. That’s my opinion, and now I’d like to hear yours!
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
1. Are you familiar with GMO’s? Is it an issue that matters to you? I have learned a lot about it recently, but there’s so much that I still don’t understand. I think it is important to know what we’re consuming so I support the bill in Washington.
2. List a few items that are typically on your grocery list. Fresh baby spinach, San Pellegrino, Bananas, Apples…
3. What is your favorite place to shop for produce? I buy most of my produce at Sam’s Club and Whole Foods. I used to shop at Trader Joe’s regularly too, and now that we have on here, I’ll be able to buy food there. I’m really excited about that! It opened Friday! 🙂
4. Do you eat processed foods? Yep…sometimes I do. I do it more than I should, but I try to eat a lot of whole foods as well.
5. Do you look for the “organic” label when you shop? I shop at the stores I listed above most so a lot of it is organic. It isn’t always a requirement though…
6. What did you eat for breakfast this morning? I drank a green smoothie that I prepared last night. Eating vegetables at breakfast is much easier when they’re blended with delicious fruit and ice.
7. How many meals per week do you cook at home? I don’t cook at home nearly enough, but I’m trying to change that. I just need to spend more time here to make that happen. I did some meal prep for the week so I’m looking forward to a week of eating healthy meals at home and on-the-go.
8. Do you think that foods that have been genetically engineered should be labeled? Yep! I think it’s important to know what we’re eating so we can make the call. Over 60 countries around the world require labels for foods that have been genetically engineered. Again, what’s the down side of being informed?
9. What matters most to you when you’re choosing a restaurant? Hmm, I like a nice atmosphere and delicious, real food.
10. What is your favorite meal to cook at home? I have had some positive experiences with roasts lately. I don’t eat a lot of red meat, but I’m really glad that I can make a tasty roast. Pork roast is another favorite.
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments, and have a happy Monday, friends!