How Many Hours Do YOU Sleep Per Night?

I remember a time in which I didn’t have a schedule that was jam packed, but those days are long gone!  I’m enjoying so many aspects of my life right now, but it’s tiring.  I need to rest sometimes, but I already know that making myself go to bed at a certain time doesn’t work.

Clint came over last night and we cooked dinner after class.  (It was mostly him, but I helped.)  He came over tonight too, and we didn’t finish watching Scandal (our favorite show now) until around 1 am.   We arrived at my place at the same time earlier tonight, but it wasn’t until around 9 pm when our other responsibilities of the day were complete.  He had to finish up work, and I was at band practice.  (I haven’t mentioned that here yet, but maybe I will soon.) There are nights in which I don’t get home until after midnight.  Going to sleep at 11 pm just isn’t realistic for me.

When I sleep, I typically sleep soundly.  It doesn’t take me long to go to sleep when I lie down, but if I try to make myself go to bed early, I find myself stressing over the fact that I’m still awake.  That’s silly and unproductive so last week I started trying something new.  Instead of attempting to stick to a certain bedtime, I decided to wake myself up around the same time every morning.  I realize that most people do that anyway, but my schedule varies widely depending on the day.

My life is pretty flexible apart from classes that I attend in the afternoon and a few other regular responsibilities  so I’ve decided to create a daily morning habit.  Over the last week, it has worked well, and spending those extra morning hours awake has helped me accomplish a lot.  My workouts are longer and more strenuous, and I’ve completed a lot of other tasks that I hadn’t been giving proper time to.

How many hours do you sleep per night?  Do you wake up at the same time everyday?  If so, how long did it take you to form that habit?

mary
    November 8, 2013 at 5:01 am

great question!
    i was just thinking about this last week, now for years and i mean years
    i would get by with 5 hours or so of sleep
    now, this was during my late 40’s you know,,,,when we are going through
    more changes than a pre-pubescent girl.
    then suddenly last year it all began to change, i noticed i could sleep longer and naps became my friend 🙂
    so averagely now i get about 8-10
    there are still those moments where i wake in the middle of the night , or very early morning (like right now it is 5am) but i usually can fall back asleep for a bit.

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    November 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

I sleep 6.5-7.5 hours a day. Never less than 6.5 if I can help it. I am a morning bird so I’m normally up around 6 am naturally depending on the season. During the summer, I was waking up at 5:30 AM naturally.

I’ve always been like this since I was in middle school. I prefer mornings over late nights. While this is great, I cannot (for the life of me) pull an all nighter. I have to have SOME sleep (2-3 hours) even on busy study nights.

Shannon
    November 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

Not enough hahahahah! I have been wondering about this myself…I usually fall asleep with my 4 year old when I take her to bed (around 845-9 after stories) but then am back up at 1130 sometimes till 1, then sleep poorly until about 430-5 and then dead sleep till the alarm at 6. I feel like my poor sleep habits are why my weight loss has stalled out. I am excited to get my fitbit and see what the sleep monitor function reveals.

Sara @ fulpallenwrestling
    November 8, 2013 at 11:37 am

Last night was awful! And what a coincidence that I read this when I got up this morning. I slept about 2 hours less than usual and woke up feeling like a train had hit me 🙁 Going to make it through today with extra bags under my eyes.

JenB
    November 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I’ve always been an “early to bed” gal … even as a teenager, although I would push my midnight curfew at times, my friends knew that I got loopy after 10:00. Now in our old age (43) hubby and I are happy to go to sleep early, often before the kids. I’m so not up for these teenage years when my boys want to stay out late.

I have a Fitbit and it tracks my sleep (not sure how accurate, but still interesting information regardless). So I do have a record of what time I actually shut down, and when I get up. I am usually getting to sleep somewhere around 10ish, up by 6:00 so I can get a workout in before getting the kids to school. Often, while I may be in bed 6-8 hours, my Fitbit is saying it’s just 4-5 hours of sleep. I do think I need more … I want more!

sunny
    November 9, 2013 at 8:00 am

oh what a question! just that I have always been a great sleeper – falling asleep within 10 minutes and sleeping well for the most part until morning. Then a year ago I got bronchitis..and while off work for a few days and then a weekend, I would sleep a few hours then be awake for a few hours – even if it was the middle of the night.

I learned the hard way that the body likes a routine… and I had to learn a new routine that didn’t have me up from 1-3 AM each night – checking emails, watching shows on the DVR, reading facebook updates..

I started having problems with insomnia then got anxious when I would be awake and I’d worry I’d be awake all night.

It took lots of prayer (still does – by me and by friends of mine) to get back to some quality sleep at night. I get up at the same time each day (6:30 AM) even if it’s the weekend. and I try to get to bed by 10…. but I learned the body sleeps in 90 minute cycles…and I have yet to learn to just stay in bed and fall back asleep….

this week I had nights where I was just awake until 3 AM and I fell asleep out of exhaustion until my alarm went off.

nights like that make it difficult to function during the day.

timothy
    November 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

I used to sleep 5 a night and was rearin to go that lasted till this year but when I hit 45 something shifted and now I need 8 or more to feel good. I have also never been a nap taker but I fond myself napping several times a week now. BIG sigh getting older sucks physically! lol

Betty Taylor
    November 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I stay up way too late! Sometimes a get 4 hours a night. It just depends on how late I can sleep in the mornings. My dog is great about getting me up by 7 am each morning. I try to make myself get into a sleep routine. I would like it if I could make myself get to bed by midnight. I usually fall asleep whenever I allow myself to lie down. I just try to get a few more things done and then it is 2 0 3 am before I know it.

Betty Taylor
    November 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I keep forgetting and posting with my old website name.

Nikki
    November 10, 2013 at 5:40 am

I’m lucky to get 4-6 hours a night. It doesn’t help that I have awful insomnia most nights. Working and going to nursing school has taken a huge chunk of my time.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com
    November 11, 2013 at 8:48 am

good questions! It used to take me a long time just to fall asleep, but now I finally figured out a routine that will put me to sleep within 15 minutes of closing my eyes. my biggest issue is that I don’t sleep throughout the night-I wake up at least 2-3 times.

Sarah S
    November 11, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I need my sleep or I get super grouchy. I tend to go to bed between 10 and 11 most nights, some nights I don’t even feel tired, but I know as soon as I get in bed I will fall straight asleep.
    I tend to wake up naturally around 630, so I guess around 8 hours sleep a night, which I know a lot of people will love.

Plus Style
    November 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

6-8 hours a night. I know I am a beast without my sleep. I wake up most mornings at 5:30 to get the kids off to school and start to work 🙂 It works better in the summer months when it is light out, but we struggle through.