Exercise Lifestyle Weigh-In weight loss

I’m Thankful For My Fat Body

I’ve been doing this blogging thing for a long time, and I stay connected through social media.  I constantly see motivational quotes plastered all over photos of women who are cut and airbrushed, making generalizations and promises even though they’ve never spent a day in my shoes.

I think it’s amazing when someone loses a substantial amount of weight, and I think it’s even more amazing when they keep off the weight that they lose for more than a year or two.  It’s hard….really hard.  I am constantly proud of myself even though I’d be a lot more pleased with myself if I could get back into a weight-loss groove and stay there.  Though I’m nowhere near my numbers goal, I’ve learned a few things throughout this process.

Whoever you are, wherever you are on your journey…there will always be room for improvement.  I think it’s important to reflect on where we want to go, but it’s equally important to appreciate ourselves where we are.  (Seriously, Kenlie? Yep!)  If we never stop to appreciate everything that we do have, we’ll never be content, no matter how much we receive.

My body is *not* where it should be according to society, my doctor, Weight Watchers, etc.  I need to weigh less if I want to be considered healthy and beautiful.  I get it.  At the same time, I find it difficult to hate myself because, in my mind, I’ve come so far.  I love myself, and even though I’d like to wear a smaller size, I think it’s important to appreciate who I am and what I have right now.

I spend a lot of time being thankful for my life and the changes that have made it wonderful.  I thank GOD constantly for my family, my little home, my friends, my church, my travels, my things – all of it, but I don’t know if I’ve ever been as thankful for my body as I am today.

Nine Roses New Orleans

It’s easy to whine about why it’s so hard to lose the next hundred pounds.  I don’t want to have surgery, and even if I did, it’s not a realistic option for me.  Sometimes I don’t feel like exercising, and I rarely ever feel like restricting my food intake enough to lose weight.  Losing 250 pounds is tough, but I still don’t quite believe that it’s impossible.

Even though the weight I’ve lost feels like part of my past, I’m choosing to be thankful for my body today. My blood pressure and cholesterol are normal, my heart is strong and healthy…My legs allow me to walk up hundreds of steps, and they carry me everywhere that I need to go.  My smile is sincere and  bright, and I typically feel good about my eyes, lips, skin and finger nails.

1467268_10202739288629974_1554062741_n-1

I know a lot of people (who are much smaller than I am) who live with chronic pain and sickness, and I do not.  I’m blessed that my body is strong enough to do what I need it to do.  I remember what it was like to feel such intense pain in my feet that I struggles to walk, and I’m constantly thankful that I no longer feel that way.

I am more aware than anyone that there’s plenty of work to be done in order to be the best version of myself, but I’m also keenly aware of how lucky I am.  I’m not a size zero, but I’m happy and capable of change.  I’m strong, independent and active, and I’m thankful for who I am today – extra weight and all.

Lynne
    November 27, 2013 at 2:29 am

I’m right there with you sista! I’m 52 and in the midsts of a weight loss/health life change. 20 pounds so far. Chronic Knee pain and a sedentary lifestyle is not for me anymore! I guess I can be thankful for this body in that it gave me the motivation to value my life and future moreso than food! Onward!!

Connie
    November 27, 2013 at 9:26 am

Love what you said and couldn’t agree more! Happy Thanksgiving…

peg
    November 27, 2013 at 9:33 am

Now that’s a healthy perspective! When you are ready to take the next step you will, but in the meantime you are in a great place! Keep blogging about what’s important to you and we’ll keep reading and enjoying your blog! Happy Thanksgiving!

Sabrina @ Coffee With Sabrina
    November 27, 2013 at 9:55 am

Perfect words on this Thanksgiving Eve!

mary
    November 27, 2013 at 9:55 am

you are strong.
    a warrior.
    live it proud girl!

Dacia
    November 27, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I love this post and I love you! You are beautiful- I have always thought that and will continue to think that. You just need to continue doing what’s best for you, loving life, loving you, and continue inspiring us to do the same. It’s not about a number on a scale or fitting into a certain size jeans. It’s about finding happiness. And you have that. Mission accomplished! Love ya Kenlie!

Happy Thanksgiving!

And YAY!!!! Just 10 more days until I get to see you!!!

Bella
    November 27, 2013 at 9:14 pm

You’ve definitely got a lot to be thankful for, and this was such a sweet reminder of taking a moment and realizing how far you’ve come. Happy Thanksgiving, Kenlie!

Annabel
    November 28, 2013 at 12:56 am

I adore this. Loving your body & treating it well (regardless of size) is one of the BEST things you can do for your overall health. xoxo

dad
    November 28, 2013 at 1:57 am

I like your perspective. Knowing, still knowing, that you have an attainable objective, will serve you well and with the right reasons and motivation, you can and will get there.

Niña Patricia
    November 28, 2013 at 2:01 am

Well said. We can all improve but loving who we are TODAY is equally important

Heather Marie
    November 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm

As someone who is smaller but deals with chronic pain and arthritis, I can say that I was jealous after reading your post! Yes, you should be thankful. You do a lot of things I would love to be able to do again. That being said, my achy body gives me a lot to be thankful. I’m thankful for the friends and family that are so patient with my pain, I’m thankful that most of the time I can deal with the pain, and I’m thankful for the team of doctors that work hard to make sure I have the best care possible. I’m thankful for the physical therapists that worked with me after my surgery, and I’m thankful for all the people that still pray for my recovery. Like that quote says, there is always, always, always something to be thankful for!!!

Heather@YSP
    November 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I love this post and I love you. We do need to love ourselves..every minute, all the time. I would change a lot maybe about my body, but I need to love it right now, even if those changes never come, if I really want to be happy. Thanks for the reminder.

Nina
    November 28, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hi Kenlie, you are awesome! I love your outfit and you look beautiful! BTW, where do you get your jeans? They stopped making my favorite brand and I can’t find any that fit right anymore!!! 🙁

I think part of being fit is keeping trying to be fit – which you have done! If you continue to keep moving, putting good fuel in your body and being good to yourself, you have won! Nothing wrong with that at all and a whole lot more than most people in general do!

Rock!
    Nina

Hannah
    December 2, 2013 at 1:35 am

Amen!

Thanks for that. You are so right!

n_b
    December 3, 2013 at 10:17 am

I just want to encourage you to keep going. It’s great to be proud and celebrate what you’ve done, but the extra weight is really tough on joints. I am suffering from joint pain that came as a result of years and years of being 100+ pounds overweight. For a long time, I was “healthy” in terms of blood sugar, blood pressure, and all of that. I had no pain. I could walk up stairs!

But, the effect is cumulative and there is a lot of research coming out now to suggest that the extra weight alone can be extremely damaging to health in the long run. This news story is a good summary – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25118857

Mobility is not something we can take for granted and unfortunately by the time we realize something is wrong, it can be too late to do anything but patch over the problem.

You don’t have to publish this comment (I get that it could be negative, but I don’t mean it that way and hope that it doesn’t come across as such.)

I wish you all the best.

December 5, 2013 at 1:05 am

I don’t plan to quit…I’m just not sure that I need the blog like I used to. Actually, I am sure that I don’t need the blog how I used to.

I know that I need to be smaller than I am. I also know that most people likely don’t care to hear about all of the random, happy times that I’m experiencing now…

They’re two different things…

Juli
    December 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

Kenlie, I’ve been reading your blog for a few years now and I’ve always enjoyed it and been amazed and inspired by you (stumbled across it by accident originally). I’ve always wanted to comment but just never have as so many others have expressed my thoughts so well it seemed covered LOL!
    I’ve been doing some catch-up reading as I’ve fallen behind and when I stumbled across this post I had to finally comment. You mentioned the ‘intense pain’ in your feet that you used to experience and it’s something I’m going through now so it jumped out at me. I don’t necessary want to get into all my personal details in the public comments but I’m wondering if you’d be willing to tell me more about what you went through as I’m experiencing a lot of pain and numbness in my feet that my doctors can’t find a cause for. I’m about 70 lbs heavier than I should be to be healthy and I think that’s what’s causing my pain. I’d love to know more about what you went through so if you could email me it would be greatly appreciated – I understand if you’d prefer to keep it here as well….any info you’d be willing to share is appreciated.
    Thanks for all you share with us….it’s honest and refreshing and makes it clear that so many of us have the same issues, same feelings and same struggles!