Juice and Smoothies and Questions

Last week at Monte and Olga’s house, I tasted a green juice that Olga made with their fancy new juicer.  It contained spinach, kale, cucumber, celery and other healthy green things, and it tasted surprisingly great!  They sent me home with their old juicer and inspired me to try making juice myself, so I made a trip to the supermarket and came home with a variety of fruits and vegetables.

Sunday morning (the most rushed morning of my week) I drank juice that I made the night before.  It contained spinach, apples, oranges and a banana.  That’s a lot of sugar, but it seems like a better choice than the doughnuts I might have had in prior weeks.

Kenlie Green Juice

I’ve always been leery of juicing because it feels wasteful.  We also miss out on fiber when we juice, and I’m having trouble deciding whether that’s a bad thing or not.

– Do we need the fiber?

– Are we missing other nutrients when we don’t eat the entire piece of produce?

– Would a smoothie (like the ones I made for later today) be a better choice?

Kenlie Green Smoothie

I like to chew my food so I’m not planning on doing a juicing fast or anything extreme like that, but this does feel like a good way to consume more fruits and veggies.  We’ll see how it works.

Do you juice and/or drink smoothies regularly?  If so, do you worry about not eating enough protein?  Is there anything else that concerns you when juicing?

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    November 5, 2013 at 7:39 am

I know some people save the fiber for soups or baking to not “waste it”

I’m normally a smoothie person so I don’t miss out on fiber but I hear great things about juicing. Doing it at home is also soooo much more affordable because those juice bars can get pricey if you want to do it daily.

Yours look fantastic!

November 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

My friend, Brenda, walked with me yesterday and treated me to a juice. It was like $5.50 for each glass so doing it at home is definitely a better option.

I like smoothies too because I’m not wasting anything and because it feels more like a meal to me, at least now. 🙂

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com
    November 5, 2013 at 8:15 am

i love the idea of “juicing” but had many of the same questions. it seems so expensive to buy the juicer (although, great deal that you were able to inherit one!) and then to buy all the ingredients.

does the juice stay well throughout the day? i think it would be great for a snack in the middle of the afternoon, but i would have to make it in advance.

November 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

I wouldn’t have considered buying a juicer, but drinking juice seemed so exciting. When I tried it, it was delicious even though it was all greens. I’m hooked now. 🙂

Terri Fenner
    November 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’m smoothy for fiber. Was a milkshake junky so I add a lot of ice. I add protein powder, some of it is flavored. Greek yogurt additional protein and cuts the sweet flavor. If at night, chocolate attack, I toss in some unsweetened cocoa powder and use some vanilla greek yogurt. My husband is curious about juicing so keep us posted on your adventure.

November 5, 2013 at 9:43 am

I think I like the smoothies more at this point, but I like the juice too. I love the vanilla Greek yogurt and cocoa idea. 🙂

Erin
    November 5, 2013 at 9:58 am

I am not a big fan of fruit, so I don’t do any sort of juicing and it’s rare that I have a smoothie because our blender broke. My boyfriend uses our food processor to make his protein shakes after working out. I think smoothies and juicing are both great way to increase intake of fruit and vegetables, though! Might be time to look at replacing the broken blender… 😉

November 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

It’s definitely a good way to get them in, I think. I never considered the food processor, but that works similarly. Great idea.

Sophie
    November 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross about a year ago. It showed me how healthy it is to juice, it can be life changing. Like a lot of people I didn’t want to spend so much on a juicer not knowing if I’d follow through. Also didn’t like the idea of not eating/wasting the pulp/fiber. I got a Nutribullet instead(as a birthday present) and that is what I “juice” with. I take medication that restricts me from doing this as a fasting way of eating, but I can do one a day. My very favorite is baby spinach, frozen mixed berries, 1/2 banana and coconut water. Yum!

November 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Losing weight is my primary goal at this point, but I’m not interested in fasting either. I’m just trying to replace some of my less healthy options with healthier ones. 🙂

Chloe@SearchingForAHealthierLife
    November 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I enjoy the preparation and cooking of making real meals too much. Like you I love chewing and eating my food, I wouldn’t entirely rule out juicing but especially in the colder months I like enjoying my hotter drinks. I like to save my juices for the summer. Whereas smoothies can still be made wintery as they are more hearty 😀

November 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Juices are great in the warmer weather. I agree. That said, I live in New Orleans so it doesn’t get very cold here. It’s just a replacement of foods that I ate that weren’t helping me get to my goal. I still plan to chew most of my food. 🙂

Sharon
    November 5, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Oh I love me some smoothies and fresh juices, but they are a very quick way to consume a meal’s worth of calories as a “snack” and spike your blood sugar because it is absorbed by the bloodstream so quickly. Spiking blood sugar = insulin secretion=fat storage. As for the fiber in smoothies, the insoluble fiber of the fruits and vegetables you put in the blender is destroyed by the pulverizing action so you are not really getting the benefit. I love green smoothies with kale but they are not the nutritional equivalent of eating a kale salad as a lot of people assume. I still have one once in a while and treat it like a dessert (because it is) after a long hike or something. Read “It Starts with Food” by the Whole 30 people, they are tough love but they really break down why it is not a good idea to drink your calories. Good luck to you!

November 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I don’t drink all of my calories, but I am trying to drink some throughout the day. My smoothies contain more veggies than fruit, but they I’ll check into the book.
      This is better than what I’ve been doing lately, but I admit that I have a lot to learn about it all.

Missy
    February 2, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Juicing removes insoluble fiber but the soluble fiber remains. There are always plus and minus to new adventures. If juicing gets a few more micronutrients in that you otherwise wouldn’t intake then go for it!