Friend Makin' Mondays

Friend Makin’ Mondays: Share Your Favorite Holiday Recipe

It’s finals week at school, but if we’re friends on social media, you might know that I’ve made some time to bake some Christmas goodies.  I baked for a little party that I had over the weekend, and I also made other sweet treats to mail to friends along with their Christmas cards today.

Christmas Sugar Cookies

In addition to cookies, I made some candied pecans and pecan pralines because they’re tasty and easy to mail.

Kenlie New Orleans Pralines

This week I want to do something different.  Instead of asking lots of questions, I’d love to exchange tasty holiday recipes.  If you’re not savvy in the kitchen, share something (or a few things) that you’d want to eat.

friend makin mondays

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Share Your Favorite Holiday Recipe

Wilton Roll-Out Sugar Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsn. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar then add egg and mix. Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours (I prefer four or more hours.)

Roll out the dough about 1/8 in. thick on lightly floured surface, dip cutters in flour before each use. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden. Place on cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing from sheet then cool completely. Makes 24-30 cookies. Ice as desired.

Note:  I usually lay out foil all over the counter so when I’m done with the flour and stuff, all I have to do it carefully roll up the foil so I don’t have a huge mess.  I also usually double this recipe when I’m making it.  I don’t do that with many recipes, but it’s fine for this one.

Shiny Royal Icing

1/4 c warm water

1 tbsp light corn syrup

3 c powdered sugar (more, if needed)

Stir warm water, corn syrup, and almond extract together in a small bowl until corn syrup and extract have dissolved. Place confectioners’ sugar into a separate bowl and add liquid ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until royal icing is smooth.

Note:  If you want to outline the cookies (which I highly recommend even though I didn’t do it with these) just add powdered sugar until it’s thick enough to firm up nicely.  I usually just eyeball that.  Let it dry a little before flooding (filling in) the cookie.

Kenlie Christmas Cookies

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s question!  Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday! 🙂

Susi
    December 9, 2013 at 6:19 am

How much almond extract in the icing? That quantity was left out. Thanks!

December 9, 2013 at 9:23 am

I don’t use almond extract. I leave it out because I don’t care for it. I sometimes add a splash of vanilla though.

Back in the Swing of Things — Let's Talk and Walk
    December 9, 2013 at 6:26 am

[…] on Kenlie’s Friend Makin’ Monday she is asking for people to share their favorite holiday recipe. If you are looking for a delicious […]

Glenneth
    December 9, 2013 at 6:46 am

Those cookies look amazing!!!

Here is today’s blog post and in it I link to my mom’s sin pie recipe which is amazing! She makes it once a year – on Thanksgiving.

December 9, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Sin pie? Interesting!

FMM | Sunnytropic
    December 9, 2013 at 9:42 am

[…] mom and brother every year so those are an obvious first choice but the recipe is pretty similar to Kenlie’s (using buttercream instead of royal icing) though so I’m going to go with another family […]

Karen @ Sunnytropic
    December 9, 2013 at 9:43 am

Great topic; I love baking for the holidays. I make a very similar sugar cookie but use buttercream icing instead of royal!

December 9, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Buttercream icing is so good too!

Carina
    December 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Fun, I picked a cookie recipe too, but was forced to acknowledge that I do not have the recipe for my favorite holiday food, OR for my favorite Christmas cookie — my mom won’t share! But of the recipes I have, these cookies are fun:

December 9, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Oh no! My mom doesn’t always share them with everyone, but my sister and I have them.

Carina
        December 16, 2013 at 12:39 pm

That’s it, I’m going to take another shot at begging when I’m home this year.

Mary
    December 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Those cookies look amazing. I’ll have to try them out!

December 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I love them…You should.

Friend Makin’ Mondays: Share Your Favorite Holiday Recipe | CookingPlanet
    December 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

[…] Friend Makin’ Mondays: Share Your Favorite Holiday Recipe […]

Chelsea
    December 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

I wasn’t able to provide the EXACT recipe that is my favorite, but I gave the rough guidelines. Also, I always make sugar cookies and I will have to try your frosting recipe – I love how shiny and nice they look!

December 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Isn’t it funny that we don’t have exact recipes sometimes? My mom’s like that.

Stacey
    December 9, 2013 at 12:08 pm

browned butter snickerdoodles. SO DANG GOOD.

December 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm

OMG YUM!!!!!

Carina
      December 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made these yesterday after seeing them on pinterest, and YUM is right.

Tyra Jenkins
    December 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I’m looking forward to getting some new recipes…. here is my recipe

December 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

That’s why I chose this topic. 🙂

FMM: My Favorite Holiday Recipe | Bella on the Beach
    December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

[…] asked us to do something a bit different – she had made some amazing cookies (go check out her post – they look way too cute to eat!) and thought it might be fun to have us share our favorite […]

Bella
    December 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm

When I saw these cookies in my FB newsfeed, they looked too good to eat. So cute! You have a gift when it comes to baking.

This was such a fun FMM. My recipe is delicious!! http://bellaonthebeach.wordpress.com/2013/12/09/fmm-my-favorite-holiday-recipe/

December 9, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I’m glad you liked it. Your blog is one of my favorites. 🙂

December 9, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Sarah S
    December 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I can’t wait for my mailman to arrive 🙂 they look too pretty to eat though

Judy
    December 10, 2013 at 12:18 am

Hi Kenlie,

I love reading your blog. After lunch at work I check my email hoping you blogged that day. It’s always a great read. It’s a daily affirmation that I can relate to. I relate to your self-talk that inspires you. It’s the unfiltered girl talk that draws me in everyday, like a little holiday from the day’s work. I love that you share your personal thoughts, accomplishments, and your failures (‘tho I don’t see them as failures, just stepping stones to success). After reading your words for such a long time now, I feel I know you as a friend. And I like that.

Like everybody else it seems, I too struggle with the weight. I lose and I gain, over and over again. Seems that every conversation with anyone is peppered with some food-related comment or self-deprecating comments about size or weight. Along with weight comments is conversation about who’s going where to eat and what fun it will be or was. And in the same sentences are who ran or biked or swam and for how long. Really, every social anything concerns food, and everyone talks about their exercising. Everything holiday is food and drinks. So, how in the world can avoid gaining and losing and gaining and losing? It’s a conundrum for sure. It’s like the bars and drinking laws. They co-exist but have opposite purposes.

Like you, I have yet to figure out the whole weight thing. I have, however, ditched point counting, ditched calorie counting, and have come to grips with my weight gaining – at least for now. I won’t however ditch my fat jeans. I keep them in the closet, just in case.

I understand you are inundated with weight-loss tools suggested by others. Yet, I feel compelled to share with you the little I have learned about the whole weight thing in the event it might work for you as well. I admit that I was only about 23.5 pounds overweight. Ok, stay with me here; it’s all relative. I tried losing – well, losing and gaining, losing and gaining – since September 2005. Yes, WW works, but I gained it back plus more. Why? Twelve M&M’s are only 1 point. I love chocolate and anything sweet. I dislike veggies. But. . . I can say that I have now lost 15 pounds with a totally different approach. And, I have not gained it back. Agreed, perhaps not a superb weight loss number for someone else, but it’s an outstanding achievement for me.

No approach on Dr. Oz is anything I can follow. Here’s what I did/am doing. A friend of mine who has much to lose was reading a book written by an IT guy at Microsoft. Sounded not too cool to me. Like, how would a computer techy guy know much about weight loss. I did download his book, however, and read it about a year ago. I did not like his advice. My friend and her not-very-chubby husband lost really fast on the plan. My thought was that if I could lose like they have, I would be thin in no time. Not so. I did start his plan – generally. And, I did lose 3 pounds. I was totally inspired, and reread parts of his book. What exactly does he recommend eating, and what do you not eat? Well, his recommendation is to eat very little carbs, lots of protein, as much veggies as you can fit inside of you, low-fat fats, and gobs of not too sugary fruits. He eliminates all processed sugars and all breads and pasta. He lost me right there. I really was unwilling to forget all my favorite foods/sweets. But, I had lost 3 pounds in the first month. Reluctantly, I began eating only foods on his list. I seem to be eating something all day long. It’s working. It’s been 7 months with 15.5 pounds lost. But, unlike all other approaches I have tried, I’m still doing it and not feeling deprived. This is obviously only ONE way to lose, but it seems to be the most logical approach, and I’m pleased to say it’s working for me. The author of the book is Jonahan Baylor. His book is called the The Smarter Science of Slim. Perhaps you’ve heard about it? He talks about eating SANE foods. He explains re-setting your ‘set point’. It’s working for me. He provides all sorts of medical data to disprove the typical weight-control plans. And, he says to exercise LESS. I have truly embraced the exercise-less approach.

The plusses for me are that I no longer think about how much food or counting anything. It’s quite liberating. I have lots and lots of nuts to chomp on all day long. Lots of strawberries and low-fat cottage cheese, lots of crazy veggies that I never thought I’d ever eat, like sugar snap peas and mushrooms. There are a bunch of new foods that I simply eat all day long. I found a yummy chocolate protein drink (Fit Frappe) that fills me up when I want something sweet. And, I have not given up low-fat mocha frappachinos.

Anyway, thought I’d share with you what is working for me in the event you might also find it helpful. I do not want to be just another person offering advice.

Most important, I want to thank you for sharing your blog and to tell you how very much you inspire me.

Judy

Joan
    December 10, 2013 at 6:54 am

Is there anything you don’t do well? I’m jealous, but in a good way LOL.

Becca R
    December 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Your cookies look perfect and delicious!