I Weigh More Than I Should, But…

There’s actually no “but” to follow.  I still have an incredible amount of weight to lose, and every time I think about how big the numbers are I feel like throwing in the towel.  I don’t feel as energetic and awesome as I did when I weighed 50 pounds less, but I realize that I still have the same power to change that as I’ve had all along.

This week I participated in a health screening, and these are my results:

Blood Pressure: 132/70  – Yikes!  Last time I gave blood it was 118/78, which is where it typically falls.  My guess is that a lack of exercise and an incredible load of emotional stress has played a role in my higher systolic over the last two months.  I’ll be checking it frequently to see the pattern.

Oxygen Saturation Level – 98%  According to the medical staff, the acceptable range is 94% to 100% so I’m okay there.

Resting Heart Rate – 59 bpm  I’m not on any medications so I’m not sure why my heart typically beats less than average, but I’m guessing that it’s the five years of pretty consistent exercise.  I’m not a doctor, and I haven’t asked Google to explain it either so it’s just a guess.

Fasting Blood Sugar – 97 mg  The American Diabetes Association says that 70-126 is acceptable.

Total Cholesterol – 164  Less than 200 puts you at a low risk for coronary health disease.

HDL (Good Cholesterol) – 53 Less than 50 means a major risk of heart disease.  It looks like i made the cut, but not by much.  I’d like to figure out what I can do to make this number higher.

LDL (Bad Cholesterol) – 88  Less than 100 is optimal.  Whew!

TRG (Triglycerides) – 114  Less than 150 is normal.

In my limited understanding of this information, it appears that my numbers are pretty good (especially for someone who weighs as much as I do.)

I’d like to make these numbers even better, and I know that it will take time, consistency and sweat.  In addition to exercise, I’ve been eating more vegetables and fruits.  That’s something that I haven’t done consistently in ages, but I’m doing it now.  I crave the organic green juice that I mentioned in a recent post, which is awesome because I get added nutrients when I drink it without taking a big caloric hit.

When was your last health screening?  Are you happy with your numbers?  Are you doing anything in particular to improve them?

Sara
    April 3, 2014 at 10:47 am

You’re awesome, Kenlie! I love that I found your blog and Facebook page (via the Southwest article a few years ago…) I’m getting ready to have a health screening done at work (our local hospital group is doing an 8-week program with us at lunch to help us be healthier, eat better, etc.) It should be fun! They do the screening before we start and after to see how we improved. The focus is on overall wellness, not just losing weight, which I appreciate! A woman came back to work today who had her baby a couple months ago. I had mine almost 11 months ago. She is WAY thinner than me. But it’s a good reminder not to compare yourself to others (and your blog always helps me refocus. I love your honesty!)

April 4, 2014 at 2:26 am

Comparisons are never a good idea…

Barbara
    April 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Awesome Kenlie! I love your honesty and candidness! I have been following your blog for a few years and you have been a true inspiration. Thank you!

April 4, 2014 at 2:25 am

Wow, Barbara…Thank you.

Leslie Thomas
    April 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I get my blood work done every six months. I always thought it would take a huge weight loss to show up in the numbers. I was amazed, however, when my last blood work revealed a great drop in blood sugar levels, and my cholesterol. It shows that all the little changes add up. Great job 🙂

April 4, 2014 at 2:25 am

The little changes definitely lead to big changes. 🙂

Sarah G
    April 3, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I’ve been a longtime reader (and lurker) and am so happy to see you blogging again regularly! I think you’re journey is inspiring, and I admire so much that you never give up…but mostly I love that you seem to have a well-rounded attitude about weight loss. It’s not all miracle solutions, and there are so many ups and downs…and it’s about more number than what’s on the scale or even the inches people measure, and these numbers you’re talking about today are so important to consider and see!

Keep up the good work!

April 4, 2014 at 2:24 am

Thank you for the encouragement, Sarah.

Roger Potter
    April 3, 2014 at 7:33 pm

All your numbers are good – even your BP – this is not a dangerous reading for the top is stell below 140.

You are also young – you said persistence – this is how I went from 40 waist to 38. Do not let the extra lbs bother you – just stay determined and those will come off also.

April 4, 2014 at 2:23 am

They’re pretty good, but I’d like to see them improve anyway.

JenB
    April 3, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’m on thyroid medication, and the prescription runs out every year so my doctor MAKES me come in annually *Ü* I had moved into the overweight population after years of marriage and five babies. Then I lost the weight pretty quick. I wished I’d had some numbers before/after. I don’t pay that much attention … as they take my blood pressure and say the numbers, I need them to say “that’s good” as I’m just not up on what they all should be. I remember a magazine outlining everything once, I really need to keep it handy for reference. It is coming up to be that time of year for me …

April 4, 2014 at 2:22 am

It is cool to see the numbers improve over time. I ‘be seen improvements, but there’s much more to see.

Brooke: Not On a Diet
    April 3, 2014 at 10:14 pm

You’re numbers are pretty good, Kenz. But, you said it yourself that some could be better, which you know what you need to do. 🙂 Anyways, you asked how to raise that good cholesterol, they say that exercise can really help with that. I struggle getting mine up to an acceptable level as well.

I love looking at my numbers each year to see how they’ve improved. Especially my BP and resting heart rate. Those used to be so high! And now they’re normal. It’s fun to see how far I’ve come.

April 4, 2014 at 2:20 am

You’re right, B. I know what I need to do, and I know that I need to shift my priorities if that’s going to happen.

Shelley
    April 16, 2014 at 8:09 am

I have to get my bloodwork checked regularly for my thyroid, like one of the posters above. I had to cut out dairy products for a few months because they give my breastfed baby reflux. My total cholesterol went down from 230 to 186, with great improvements in my ldl. The rest of my values were good– bp 110/68, trigly. at 50 and fasting blood sugar at 85. Dietary changes do make a difference!