Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

Spending Too Much Time at Starbucks

Just kidding.

I don’t think it’s possible to spend too much time at Starbucks.  Summer classes started Monday, and I’ve already completed a homework assignment!  Summer moves quickly because the sessions are short, and doing homework and completing other projects is more fun at Starbucks than it is at home because it’s far from isolated.

Kenlie at Starbucks

One of the classes that I’m taking right now required me to do a stress assessment.  I had to answer questions about my sleep patterns and do an inventory of  major life changes that I’ve experienced over the last year (ex. death of a spouse, relocation, change in social activities, etc.) I haven’t experienced many major life changes in the last year, which makes me extraordinarily thankful after the changes I experienced in years prior.

I also had to list 10 stressors, and it was difficult to do that.  I came up with several though – my current weight, relationship/lack of, aggravating people, etc.  Making that list reminded me again how thankful I am for me life, but it also helped me recognize that the things I stress about affect me in a variety of ways.  My weight affects me mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

The fact that I’m still obese…still not in control of my weight…makes me feel like a failure, but there’s a solution.  There’s always a solution, right?  For me, it starts by not making excuses.  I’m pretty good about owning up to the fact that I suck when it comes to losing weight.  Kudos to me for not blaming anyone or anything else, but taking responsibility means more than admitting that I”m wrong.

I have to do some cognitive restructuring, which simply means that I need to change the way I think.  (Easier said that done, or is it?)

I’m excited about this class because it seems like it might become one that leads to positive life changes.  I have a few close friends in this class, and they feel the way I feel about it as well.

Kris
    May 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I would be afraid to take that assessment… although less so now than 3 months ago.

June 4, 2014 at 1:59 am

It made me feel pretty good about my life, but there’s always stress…and always a need for improvement.

toni
    May 22, 2014 at 10:32 am

with those words, you are well on the way!!!!! and the restructuring the mind has great power when you “re-paint” the walls of your mind with God’s Truth!!!!

June 4, 2014 at 2:00 am

Yes….so true.

Patricia
    May 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm

How many times in the past five years have you written “I won’t make excuses anymore!” And then continue to make them. And continue to regain. And continue to be a “professional student” living off your lawsuit money? No, seriously — how many times?

May 24, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Lawsuit money? That doesn’t exist…Never did.

I’ve tried and failed lots of times though…Tons…

Miss J
    May 26, 2014 at 10:00 am

Working on yourself is a lifetime process for everyone, and involves steps forward and back. I don’t think self talk involving the word failure is constructive. Also you don’t suck at loosing weight- you were quite successful at that at one point.

Your mind is your biggest tool in sorting out personal goals and challenges, and you must always be on your own side. Hopefully your new class will help figure out your stresses and restructuring your thoughts.

Keep trying Kenlie, never ever give up on yourself. Improving oneself and attempting to acheive goals of all types is the theme of a purposeful life.

June 4, 2014 at 2:01 am

I’ll keep trying. I don’t like the alternative. And you’re right…I’m succeeding in a lot of areas, and I was good at weight-loss once too.

Let the restructuring begin…