weight loss

Back To New York

It’s been quite a long time since I made a trip back to New York.  I went several times in 2012, but when I moved into my apartment later that year, I started loving my life here.  I didn’t spend much time thinking about New York, and that was an unexpected relief.

I’ve grown and healed so much since I left that place, and I am (thankfully) no longer convinced that it’s the only place in which I can be happy.  I’m happy in New Orleans.  I love the life that I’m living here, and it makes me wonder how I’ll feel when I’m back in New York.

Will I remember the intense love that I once had for the city?  Will I wish that I was staying longer, or that I didn’t have to get on a plane to return home?  Will I be as anxious to get back to New Orleans as I am when I travel to other places?

When I left New York and moved across the country, I had no idea that I would go through the things that have led me to this point in my life.  I thought I would desperately miss New York, and for a long time I did.  Now it’s a place that carries a lot of incredible memories for me, and lately I’ve wondered whether or not it will be more than that again.

People used to ask me why I loved New York, and I always explained that I just breathe differently there.  I explained that my heart was at rest there in a way, in which it hadn’t been in other places, and I wonder if I’ll feel that way again.

I think I’ve subconsciously avoided New York over the last year or more because, on some level, I’m worried that I’ll miss it when I leave, but it’s important to know where you want to be.  Right now, I’m content in New Orleans, and I’m content in worrying about the future later.  We’ll see if heading back to my favorite place changes that….

Is there a place in the world that always makes you feel at home whether you live there or not?  If so, where’s that place for you?

toni
    June 4, 2014 at 9:09 am

was hoping your travels were bringing you west!!! but, excited for your trip to new York as you see the city you love with His eyes!!!!

June 11, 2014 at 1:56 am

I think I’ll head your way again before the end of the summer!

Steelers6
    June 4, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’ve only ever been to NYC on day trips & it’s hard to leave! I’m sure that could be the same for you, although this time you will be returning to the happy life you have made in your town. (Not to mention cool apartment!)

I look forward to visiting the city again. Have a great time!
    Chrissy

June 11, 2014 at 1:57 am

You should visit the city in July…:)

Lynne
    June 4, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Amsterdam is that place for me. But I also love my home here in Chicago. Though I know what you mean about NYC. That place is alive and wonderful.

June 11, 2014 at 1:57 am

I like Amsterdam, though I haven’t been there in several years. I’d like to head back there at some point soon.

Ariel
    June 7, 2014 at 2:58 am

That place for me is also New York, as you very well know. At least we will be heading to our favorite regions of NY on the very same day this time. I just know my heart will beat differently while in Syracuse. I am terrified of missing it terribly all over again, and I am terrified of the possible realization that I no longer have a strong desire to move there some day… I don’t think the latter will happen, but it sure is a possibility. Eeek. We will have to keep each other updated throughout our vacations. Deal?

June 11, 2014 at 1:58 am

You already know that I feel the same way…Let’s have fun and see where it goes…:)