Dating Lifestyle

The Handsome Guy at the Coffee Shop

Dating isn’t easy in my body, but the truth is, it’s complicated for most people. I just have the added frustration fun of waiting for someone to see past my size and gorgeous friends.  (Seriously, I have some incredibly pretty friends, but I wouldn’t trade them.)

I spend a lot of time at Starbucks because of the free iced coffee and tea refills and Wi-Fi.  I’m there several times a week for meetings, coffee with friends and to work or study before of after class, and lately, I’ve noticed that I’m not the only habitual tea drinker at that particular location.

There’s a guy.  He’s tall, dark and incredibly handsome, and he’s been in my line of sight during my last several trips to Starbucks.  He tends to show up around the time that I do or a few minutes later, and while I wouldn’t dream of talking to him, I wish I had enough confidence to consider it.

I don’t know the guy.  Maybe he’s a jerk, but he seems like the handsome, slightly nerdy type who would know that Eric Cantor was defeated in the Virginia primary earlier this week.  (Nerdy, politically aware girls can dream too.)

Since there’s no way that I’d talk to him first, I suppose I’ll just have to drink my coffee in silence, while wondering what his name is or if he likes cupcakes.  (If I had to guess, I’d say that he’s not crazy about them, but I could look past that…maybe.)

Have you ever seen someone and felt like you just had to know them?  If so, did you act on it?

mary
    June 13, 2014 at 7:51 am

you never know what might come of a chance meeting…over tea 😉

June 13, 2014 at 3:06 pm

True. There are songs written about it…;)

Staysail
    June 13, 2014 at 8:30 am

You have nothing to lose by saying hello. You should say “Are you stalking me? Because that would be SUPER!” lol 🙂 Good Luck.

June 13, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Best. Advice. Ever….lol

If he smiles at me again, I’ll say, “Are you stalking me? Because that’d be great.” Hahahahah

Stephanie
        June 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

unfortunately, it is a stretch. I live in Virginia, and am crushed by the amount of people that don’t know what is going on in our State, much less the nation. Cantor came to my office the week before the election for a breakfast meeting. We have over 900 employees on campus and roughly 100 came to listen to him speak – even with a Q&A.

Stephanie
    June 13, 2014 at 11:40 am

If I were a guy, I would swoon over your knowledge of Eric Cantor’s defeat! Love the stalking comment – that is perfect!

June 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I don’t know if he really *looks* like a guy who’d know that, but I like to assume that most people do…even though that may be a bit of a stretch. 😉

Stephanie
        June 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Sometimes, i can even reply on the correct post ….

Steelers6
    June 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

This post made me smile.
    Chrissy

June 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for saying so, Chrissy…lol

Patricia
    June 13, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Go for it.Try to make eye contact . A friendly “hi” with a big smile. Just being polite never hurts.

June 13, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I’m so polite to everyone else in that place…I’m friendly will the other regulars, so I’m not sure what that doesn’t apply to the handsome guy. hehe

Kay in WA
    June 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm

A guy saw ME and just had to talk to ME and get to know ME….he’s my husband now. I like to joke when we meet people that we met when he picked me up at the County Fair. He was very shy, but in that crowd, he picked me out and here we are. 42 years later.

Jen
    June 13, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I met my husband by going up to him at a party.
    Take the leap. You have nothing to lose.

heather
    June 13, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Kenlie dear, you have an infectious smile and are a gorgeous girl… and you never know where that hello may lead you. He may not be the “one”….. but every small step outside your comfort zone will make every subsequent “hello” easier 🙂

Say hi, if nothing else I guarantee your smile will make his day! 🙂

Maria Gillespie
    June 15, 2014 at 1:56 am

Just smile and be nice, if nothing else, you could end up with a new friend 🙂

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    June 15, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I’m really brazen when it comes to going after the guys I’m interested in. I would make sure the other party was aware of my interest and if they said no, I would move on. I hate waiting around and hoping something happens.

The worst case scenario is the person rejects you. At least you know where you stand and you can move on to other fish in the sea 😀

This was true for me regardless of what size I was at.

It doesn’t hurt to strike up a conversation and be friends over a cup of coffee.

Hailey
    June 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

There was a guy that worked at Starbucks that I had a crush on years and years ago. I would go in a few times a month and smile at him and get all nervous butterflies in my stomach. Eventually, I said hello. And then later I would ask him how he was doing. I introduced myself and we had short conversations a couple of times. After 9 months of crushing on him, I gave him a Christmas card with my phone number in it. It was incredibly nerve-wrecking, but I did it.

Never got a call, but I am still proud of myself for doing it.