Emotions Exercise Lifestyle weight loss

Regaining Weight and Regaining Control

Earlier this week I wrote a post about the anger that I was feeling, but I wasn’t ready to discuss how to change it.  Here’s an excerpt from what I said:

What can I say? I know that I should skip the venti iced nonfat caramel macchiato at Starbucks.  I also know that I should start my day with a workout instead of sleeping in for an extra half hour.  I know that I should swap out the food that I eat at restaurants for salads that I eat at home, and I know that I should drive by Krispy Kreme without stopping…ever. (Seriously, who needs a doughnut from Krispy Kreme?  They’re grossly overrated.)

Feeling angry sucks, and feeling angry and helpless sucks even more.  Verbally abusing myself won’t change anything either.  I understand that it works for some people, but I love myself too much to do it (at least most of the time.) Losing weight isn’t easy, but it’s possible.  How many times have I said that over the years?  Maybe it’s hard.  It’s obviously harder for me than I like to admit, but there are some simple concepts that would lead to big results if I’d simply do them:

• Skip the calorie-laden drinks at Starbucks.  This seems like common sense, and it is.  I decided that I’d allow myself to drink them from time to time, which then became pretty frequent.  It’s fine to have a coffee or tea with no sugar and a splash of milk, but the 270 calories and load of sugar (even with the 16 grams if protein) just isn’t a good idea.  I don’t drink sodas. Why in the world would I drink sugary milk?
  • Exercise on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and a weekend day.  This is easy enough, and yet, I’ve gotten so incredibly lazy.  I don’t sit at home and watch TV or all day or anything, but I tend to leave my house shortly after noon (without eating lunch.)  I work as a private tutor during the week, and I go to class as well.  I lead a small group on Wednesday evenings and go to band practice on Thursday evenings.  I’m not lazy in a traditional sense, but I’m not making an effort to sweat before I leave home.  (Did I mention the cute, little gym upstairs at my building? I’m embarrassed to admit how long it’s been since I exercised in it.)
  • Prepare healthy foods that I can take with me on the go. I used to do this. It requires some extra effort, but I used to believe that Sunday nights existed for food prep.  At some point (a long time ago) that changed.  It needs to change again because a little effort goes a long way, and little changes like that go a long way.
  • Say NO to Krispy Kreme.  I know so many people who think that their doughnuts are sub-par, and they are.  I know it, but when I drive by, I want them.  I don’t always get them, but I get them more often than I should.  I used to love cokes.  I would drink them everyday.  I was a slave to them, and one day I stopped drinking them.  Now, years later, I think they’re so ridiculously disgusting.  Perhaps it’s time to have a similar experience with doughnuts.

If you talk to someone who has lost a significant amount of weight, if they’re being honest, they’ll probably tell you that it’s hard to get everything right all the time.  (I know this is true because I hear it often.)  I’m not sure if it gets easier or when, which means that I’m focusing on a couple of minor changes that will lead to better results.  Right now regaining control is my biggest concern, and I’m making a couple of minor adjustments to do just that.

My focus this month has surrounded Starbucks because I’m there frequently.  Exercising before Starbucks is better than not exercising, but skipping sugary coffee drinks is obviously better that that.  I’d like to see some changes in myself, and I’m giving up the macchiatos for the next month.  At that point, I’ll decide if I want to have one before limiting them again, but my guess is that I’ll be over them.  I don’t drink coffee everyday, but I like the environment.  My goal is to have unsweet tea or unsweet tea when I’m there.   I drink a lot of water there too because one of my favorite barista pals always reminds me to hydrate.

I’m also banning Krispy Kreme from my life for the next 30 days.  Am I the only one who feels like short-term goals are more manageable?  I’ve proven that making number goals without adjusting my habits doesn’t work.  Maybe now I can prove that creating goals in the form of new habits will, in fact, allow the number goals to work themselves out.

I’m much happier and much more relieved than I was when I wrote the previous post, but I’m still not happy with the fact that I let myself spin out of

I’m in Washington, D.C. right now, and I’m sticking to the Starbucks rule too.  I still can’t say that I’m in control, but I’m working on it again, which is more than I could say at the beginning of the week.

Janna
    September 26, 2014 at 12:48 pm

You got this…small changes will make a lasting impact. If you need an accountability partner I am a daily text away!

October 5, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Thank you friend!

Rachael
    September 26, 2014 at 12:55 pm

How do you feel after eating Krispy Kremes? They make my stomach hurt, so I think about that and it kills the craving fast.

October 5, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I wish that I could say I feel like crap after I eat them, but the truth is that I feel full. I like that feeling, which is obviously a big part of the problem. I haven’t had any doughnuts in almost two weeks, and I haven’t missed them too much.

Laurie
    September 26, 2014 at 1:08 pm

The Starbucks thing is a big deal! I had to give up my Starbucks to justify my Shakeology purchases and it’s been a beneficial switch. I still miss my chai though.

October 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I’m still allowing myself to have Starbucks, but only regular coffee (hot or iced) and tea with skim milk and no sugar.

Cathy Cordle
    September 26, 2014 at 1:10 pm

The good thing about Starbucks is that you can get several different kinds of tea there (hot OR iced!). Enjoy finding your favorite!

October 5, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Yes. When I started going to Starbucks, I loved iced coffee. I went back to it, and it’s fine with nonfat milk.

Melissa
    September 26, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I have found that having small goals is much more manageable for me. I had a lot of “baby weight” to lose, but instead of looking at how daunting that is, I have been focusing on losing 10 pounds at a time. I recently did a 21 day program and had some fantastic results. The weight has stayed off, but I have allowed myself to let some of my old habits creep back in so I’m not seeing the results I was. It’s time for me to start my next 21 days! 🙂

October 5, 2014 at 9:13 pm

It’s always helpful for me when I make smaller goals. Good work. Keep going forward.

September 26, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I have trouble saying “no” to Starbucks too. I don’t feel too bad about the 160 calories, especially because I kind of factor it into part of my breakfast anyway. But I don’t need it. And it is so expensive. I’d rather spend my money on exercising. Good luck!

October 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Yeah, the harsh reality is that I spend more on Starbucks than I did when I was paying for the most expensive gym in town. I’ve been telling myself that it’s too expensive, but what I’ve really been saying is “hey, I’d rather have this car instead.” That needs to change, and it is…

Abigail
    September 26, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I’m glad to see you’re back to a more positive outlook. I like your idea of taking it one day at a time. For me, I’m almost 39 weeks pregnant and really looking forward to breastfeeding weight loss, but I know it won’t happen if I don’t plan out my meals, which is Hella hard with a newborn and two other rug rats running around. But for me, that’s my goal. I already have a ton of dinners in the freezer stocked up, now it’s just about prepping lunches for the week, salads especially, and making sure I have the food I need to eat actually in the house. I’m lucky that I don’t have a Starbucks even close to me, which is bizarre, but true. I also just got a recipe to make your own homemade pumpkin latte at home, which I think I might just do, hopefully cutting the sugar back some. Good luck! I’m rooting for you!

October 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm

39 weeks? Wow! Good luck with that, and I’d love to hear how the PSL turns out.

Linda J
    September 27, 2014 at 2:18 am

Four weekly actions – totally doable!

October 5, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I’m almost halfway through my 30 days, and I’m going strong. I still need to make lots of changes, but it feels like I’m moving in the right direction.

jess
    September 27, 2014 at 9:39 am

Great goals! Do you like iced coffee? I’ve trained myself to enjoy an iced Americano with a splash of cream and sometimes a little cinnamon powder. Not my top pick, as I would rather have a sugary drink, but a good alternative! Good luck!

October 5, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I love iced coffee. It was my gateway drink. Ha…I’m back to drinking it, though not as often, and I remember how much more I like it now.

Theresa
    September 27, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I like your idea of making habit goals instead of number goals, and knowing that habit goals can lead to number goals. My Starbucks solution is iced americano (no sweetener or milk). The iced bitter coffee works for me, and I find I prefer it without sugar or milk.

October 6, 2014 at 1:34 am

That is my hope, yes. I’m okay with milk in my iced coffee, but just a splash.

nathanalbert
    September 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

You have a great plan of attack! And you’re so right, you can’t get it right 100% of the time. Give yourself a little grace for being human and then move on. You totally got this!

October 6, 2014 at 1:35 am

Why does everything you say make me feel empowered? You rock, friend. Thank you.

Nina
    September 30, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I love love love Starbucks, so I feel your pain! What helps me is to remember that what I love about Starbucks is going there with my friends and good conversation. I have switched to unsweetened iced tea or regular coffee with a little heavy cream (because it is lower carb and feels decadent!) I know how you feel … I am back up weight and I am sick of doing well at life except for the weight thing … I try to focus on just being happy and how if I avoid sugary/processed stuff I just feel better. (Though I still want food that makes me feel bad!) It’s really hard!

XOXO,
    Nina

October 6, 2014 at 1:36 am

I’m sorry that you understand, but I like knowing that I’m not the only one who has had to adjust my Starbucks habits. I’m actually not struggling with it too much. I still spend time there, but I’m good with iced coffee or tea.

Meredith
    October 2, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Kenlie, you’re just dealing with the reality that all of us with significant weight to lose face. It isn’t a straight line from A to B, and we have to keep picking ourselves up and learning. If we keep at it, hopefully we’ll get to a true lifestyle change that sustains us in a healthy range of weight and/or the other measures of health like blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol level, etc. I think attacking it with a few difficult behaviors is a great idea. I think you’re doing great because you’re getting real.

October 6, 2014 at 1:37 am

I mean, all of my numbers (BP, Cholesterol, etc.) look so good. They’re perfect. I just want to get back into control, and I’m trying by eliminating two major sugary things. There’s a lot more to do, but I feel like I’m crawling in the right direction.