Lifestyle

A Quick Grammar Question For Bloggers

I’ve been writing here for over five years, and it has come to my attention that I shouldn’t space twice after the end of a sentence.

Do you do space twice after each sentence? Do you think it’s appalling?  Does it matter to you?

Hailey
    October 10, 2014 at 2:14 am

I do it because I think it looks better. I like the extra space between sentences.

debbier
    October 10, 2014 at 2:40 am

I space twice after each sentence, too. That’s what I learned years ago (I’m a lot older than you are!). See, I’m even spacing twice after each sentence in this comment. 🙂 I have heard that one should only use one space, too, but I’m not sure it came from a good authority! I look forward to seeing what others say.

By the way, I love your blog! I have been reading for several years, but rarely comment on others’ blogs because I’m so busy with my own. I love your honesty and how open you are about who you are and how you’re struggling. It makes me sad that you have “haters,” but it says a lot more about THEM than it does about you. Keep being the fabulous you that you are and keep smiling that beautiful smile!

Glenneth
    October 10, 2014 at 6:49 am

i learned to space twice after sentences and it is truly a habit. i really don’t care one way or another, but personally, i like the extra space.

Rosaria
    October 10, 2014 at 7:38 am

Yes I also space twice at the end of a sentence.

Erin
    October 10, 2014 at 8:52 am

The “new rule” is one space.

I choose to ignore the new rule because I think it is dumb.

October 10, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I always learned to do the double space rule in school. But then I went back to college a few years ago and found out that the rule had changed. At first I stuck to my guns and continued to double space, but eventually I had to give in. We had a plethora of group projects, and it was hell trying to create a unified report when everyone was using different spacing. So after an unsuccessful attempt to convert my teammate over to the light, I found myself on the dark side. I am now a single space enthusiast.

Carly T
    October 10, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I never realized the double space rule changed – I still do it. I’ve also noticed a comma rule change over the years – when I was in school and you were mentioning multiple thing in a sentence I was taught to put a comma behind each thing, including before the “and;” ex. I went to the mall with Shirley, Tracy, and Jamie. But I started noticing over the years that the comma before the “and” was no longer being used. I made that adaptation but I probably won’t on the double spacing issue…

tanya
    October 10, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I am a double spacer. However, I have learned that if you are going to justify the type then double spacing messes it up big time.

Tracy @ My Tiny Tank
    October 11, 2014 at 6:48 am

Ughh the double space. I’m a double spacer. It was drilled into us in my HS typing class. It was about the only thing that followed me out of that class. I’m a pecker when comes to typing. I’ve got my own style. But the double space is with me strong. I must say as a manager of software development, the double space does not fair well in the database world. When adding text to a database the extra space will be ignored. It gets ignored and removed. So perhaps the push to remove the extra space is all about saving database space Ha! Just my techie idea. I’ve been scolded many a time by my keen young developers. Ps I’m also a blogger and you’ll see many double spaces. Just saying.

Lisa
    October 11, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I never knew there was a rule about it! I double space. I like how it looks & it gives that little extra space so it’s easier to read.