Dinner For One?

I’ve been a bit of a homebody this week, which isn’t typical for me.  I’ve been eating at home more because I’m here, and it makes me think that I should take time to stay in more often.

I live alone, and I don’t always take time to cook for myself because it feels like so much effort to cook for one.  I enjoy cooking when I’m having company, but on the rare evenings when I’m at home, I find myself more interested in doing other things than cooking (like knitting, watching New Girl or Scandal, painting my nails, blogging, baking something to share with friends, homework, etc.)

I’m going to work on changing the way I think about cooking for myself because if it’s worth the effort to cook for someone else, it’s worth it to cook for myself.  It saves money and calories to make the extra effort, and I’ve always known that I should do it.  I

don’t think of myself as lazy because I’m almost always on the move, but it’s probably a good idea to spend more time at home preparing meals that are healthy for myself.

Am I the only one who prefers to order in or eat cereal when dining alone?

Jessica
    October 7, 2014 at 9:45 am

Love the New Girl!!! When I was single, and lived alone, I cooked quite a bit. They were easy things, but I still cooked. After being married and cooking almost every weeknight, I am always happy for a cereal night 🙂 haha

October 8, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I don’t mind cereal nights (like last night,) but it shouldn’t be a regular thing. That’s all I’m saying. 🙂

Lanae
    October 7, 2014 at 10:03 am

I look at cooking dinner for myself like taking a bubble bath. Decadent, well deserved and I try to do both several times a week! Makes me smile and know I’m taking good care of myself.

October 8, 2014 at 3:55 pm

That’s a wonderful way to look at it. I plan to cook a meal that I enjoy for myself at some point over the weekend.

Jen
    October 7, 2014 at 10:29 am

I lived alone for years, up until a year ago when my boyfriend moved it. When I ordered out, I would get Indian. I would eat half and bring the other half to work. I did that with subs and some pasta that I ordered in as well.

October 8, 2014 at 3:56 pm

That’s a good idea. It makes me think that I should make some things that I don’t mind eating again later.

jimmiesworld
    October 7, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I’m the person who cooks for herself. I cook once a week for the whole week and portion it out. Honestly, my will power is so weak that if I had to cook every night, I’d be the girl who orders in and reads a book while eating. And I’m a terrible order outer – pizzas and pastas and stuff that made my hips what they are today. Sigh.

I think it’s special when you cook a meal (or reheat, in my case) and plate it, just like you would for your friends. It’s a pain but it is a nice way to treat yourself. We deserve that.

October 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I could cook a few times a week and portion things out. I can do that with salads too. Great idea.

Michele
    October 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I live alone and fell seriously into the order out trap last year and regained everything I had worked so hard to lose. This year, mainly because of some potential long term health complications from my weight, I committed to myself and gave up sugar and most processed foods and cook for myself almost every day. The meals aren’t always pretty but they always fit within the framework of healthy eating. I also do meatless Mondays which has been a unique challenge too. The best part is I turned the health complications around and have lost a fairly significant amount of weight. I know you can do it. You are one of my weight loss heros.

October 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm

That makes you a hero in my book.

Megan
    October 7, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I have trouble cooking and I have two boys to cook for. These last two weeks I have recommitted to not only cooking dinner but sitting down with the boys to eat it. I struggle when I get home to wanting to cook dinner. I try very hard to resist the lure of Little Caesar’s $5 pizza.

October 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Thankfully I’d have to drive across town for the $5 pizza. It sounds so good.

Stephanie
    October 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Cooking for one was the one skill I could never master, so like the others shared – I cook big and portion out. I love to cook a main something that can be remade into different somethings for a new meal later in the week. I am the go to person when someone else needs a meal, and I always go all out making it special for them. I love the above statement about thinking of myself in the same way.

Tabbitha
    November 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I use to feel the same and really I don’t enjoy cooking (I’m starting to think that should chafe it to soemtimes) since I just made an awesome potato soup (omg it’s good) but truth is its the only way that I have successfully lost weight. So for the most part I try to cook on Sunday’s for most of the week not cause I love it but I want to succeed. Anyhoo if staying home help you do more meal prep and helps your diet make it one or two nights prep for few meals but don’t do the couch potato thing