Does God Care That I’m Fat?

There’s no commandment in The Bible that says, “Thou shalt exercise daily,” but there is definitely a commandment that says to put God first. I’ve been thinking about what that means as I continue to grow in my relationship with Him, and I find myself wondering whether or not I’m committing idolatry. The answer is most definitely yes, at least sometimes, and I want to change that.

Gluttony is a sin.  Too often I find myself overindulging and putting the desire to eat above my desires for other things – including God. I’ve had to repent over this more than once or twice, and it’s still a struggle that I deal with almost everyday.

Luckily, in Romans 8:38-39, it is clear that nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future,nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God loves me even though I’m plus-size. Whew! I’m even more thankful for that than I am for His grace. It still amazes me when I think about how much Jesus loves me, and with that, I believe that He wants what’s best for me.

I don’t think that doing what is “best for me” means that I need to be a size zero. I don’t even think it means that I need to be a size 8, even though that would be cool. I’m not sure what it means in terms of precise numbers, but I know that some things still need to change.

It has been almost two weeks since I had a sugary drink from Starbucks. I committed to going 30 days without indulging in an iced caramel macchiato (or anything else that isn’t plain coffee or tea,) and it hasn’t been a difficult as I thought it would be. The lack of doughnuts in my life hasn’t been as difficult as I thought either, but there’s a lot more than I need to change.

Yesterday my friend, Tracey and I, had one of those awesome conversations about life that you can only have with people you trust completely, and she suggested asking God to give me the willingness to make better choices everyday. Maybe at some point I’ll have the courage to ask Him. Right now, in all honesty, I’m scared of failing and scared of succeeding.

I don’t know how God feels in regards to what I should weigh, but I do know that what He wants is all of me. He wants everything that I am – the good and the bad. It’s easier to give Him the good stuff because letting go of the tough stuff means having to trust Him. I’m working on that, but it’s not easy…not even a little bit.

When I look at myself through the lens of God’s character, I can only conclude that He wants me to put Him first – before caramel macchiatos, before doughnuts, before money, before relationships…He wants me to be healthy.

It’s always hard to admit how weak I am, but maybe that’s exactly what I need to do. My favorite passage in The Bible is 2 Corinthians 12:9, in which Paul says, But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

I guess that means that I need to embrace my weaknesses and continue to let God work in me. I know that I need to invite Him into this situation. That’s what prayer is, then I have to ask Him to give me strength to be who He wants me to be.

Aly
    October 7, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I love romans 8:38-39! It’s gotten me through many things. blessings to you kenlie

October 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

It’s pretty amazing to know that, especially when others disagree. I’m glad that God is gracious and loving no matter what.

mdott922
    October 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Have you read “Made to Crave”? Reading this post reminds me a lot of what the author was going through.

October 8, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I’ve downloaded it, but I’ve only read about a chapter of it so far.

Joan
    October 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

God is not unhappy about your weight except that it makes you unhappy. It also opens you up to illnesses that Satan might like to inflict on you because you are God’s daughter. Both of these situations would make God unhappy because he loves you and wants you happy and well. When we finally decide that we can’t do it that’s when God steps in and says “let me”. Also we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and because we love God we should at least try to be the best, most healthy temple we can be. Please understand that I’m talking of myself as well as you. I also struggle with weight and am currently losing because I finally figured out I’m not God and can’t do it alone. You’re right, he loves you no matter what he just wants you happy and you seem to be happier when you make healthier choices for yourself.

October 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I think that He wants me to serve Him. I guess I feel like my habits are a part of that. I don’t think that I need to achieve a certain number to get it right. I don’t think He’s worried about that, but I do think that He wants me to put Him ahead of everything else. I definitely don’t always do that.

Becky
    October 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

What you’ve written here is really speaking to me. Thanks for sharing & giving me something to think about.

October 9, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking about it. It’s given me a lot to think about too.

Cat
    October 7, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I agree with mdott922. “Made to Crave” has been a great tool for me in my own journey. It helped me see that my food addiction was in fact a physical manifestation of my spiritual walk with Jesus. It also helped me arm myself with scripture to use when I feel weak. There’s lots of resources, of course, but that book is one of my faves. 🙂
    A friend of mine posted on FB recently: “No weapon formed against me shall prosper. Including pumpkin spiced lattes.” First it made me laugh, then it filled me with power. Yes, I repeat that to myself OFTEN. lol

October 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm

I totally posted something similar about macchiatos and doughnuts. LOL

Heather H (@YummySushiPjs)
    October 7, 2014 at 8:58 pm

While I’m not religious, I find this post so beautiful. Thank you for so openly sharing your faith.

October 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for always being so supportive my friend..

Mel W
    October 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I know I have a food addiction and sometimes after I eat things that I know are making me feel unhealthy I beat myself up because our bodies are His temple and my behavior is destructive. I also find that when I have cut back on sugar and intense sweets for a while my cravings and temptations get less strong. Your honesty and sharing your spiritual and physical journeys really speak to me and encourage me along the way. It seems like you often blog about the place where I a, that day in my own journey. Don’t quit!

October 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm

That makes me feel really good to hear. I’m sorry that you have to deal with some of these feelings, but thanks for showing me that I’m not the only one.

Kelly O
    October 7, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I gave up the Starbucks style drinks for Lent this year, and it was a difficult but amazing thing for me. I’m cutting back, and it’s so hard. I think part of doing it at Lent is the knowledge that it’s “only” 40 days.

My thing is, I know God loves me. God created me and my body, and while it’s his temple, the fact that we’re all created in God’s image means God loves us no matter what size we are, or what color, or any of those things. As long as I am taking care of myself, and offering what I have, then that’s what God is really after.

Besides, God is love, and shouldn’t we love ourselves? Christ loved us enough to die for us; God loved us enough to sacrifice his son. If that’s not an all-consuming love, I don’t know what is. (And for the record, I am not always great at remembering this, but it’s still true, whether i remember it or not.)

Connie
    October 8, 2014 at 9:53 am

I agree with several comments. I personally do not believe God is concerned with the numbers on the scale, your BMI, or even the fact that you may eat a doughnut every now and then, everything in moderation. I’m positive He is mostly concerned in our health, as our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. I also believe God made us to enjoy the taste of food, as he did many things. Gluttony is a serious failure in self-discipline, which can be so much more than just eating too much. As I understand it, it can mean AS AN EXAMPLE, especially for those that love to shop, shopping too much. Buying things you don’t need, instead of possibly using our money for the glory of God. Another example that goes the other way could be someone that OVER- exercises….I do believe you can do that to a point where parts of your body start to break down. Can’t tell you how many times I have heard about people having knee problems, ankle problems, etc. from over doing it.
    The point I am making is food is good, in normal amounts. Shopping is good, if we’re not running up credit cards that we can’t afford pay and still give what God asks from us monetarily, and exercise is good, if we aren’t tearing up parts of our body in the process.

Everyday I ask God to strengthen me with self-discipline. I have a problem getting up at night to snack. I do well all day long. I don’t even think about it because I am busy. At night though it is different. I like to read in bed for a half hour or so. My husband is asleep. Visions of a great big bowl of cereal creep into my mind. Or even anything else. I have been known to get up and eat plain chocolate chips just to have something to eat. I am not hungry when I do this.. I’m not bored when I am doing this as I love to read… often times it is just because I … enjoying eating. Or it has been a while since I have had anything sweet and it just calls to me. 🙂 I then get up in the morning hating myself, which God does not want me to do as he made me and loves me and doesn’t like those negative thoughts.They aren’t of God.

I pray for self-discipline, for strength, for the understanding that yes while he wants me to enjoy my food, as with everything there are limits.

Kenlie you are on the right track… you care that your doing what God wants, what brings glory to him. Your not going to be perfect, and He knows that. Every day that you do your best with EVERYTHING you do, not just food, you are helping yourself. Keep up what your doing. Set small goals, accomplish them one day at a time, and then set a new one, all of them asking for Gods guidance, and I believe you’ll be amazed at what you both can do together!

Again I have written a novel, and I am sorry. Maybe I’ll pray for some self-discipline the next time I comment! 🙂

Valerie Farris Oman
    October 8, 2014 at 11:15 am

“…she suggested asking God to give me the willingness to make better choices everyday. Maybe at some point I’ll have the courage to ask Him. Right now, in all honesty, I’m scared of failing and scared of succeeding.”

Um, yep. This is me right now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and struggle. If it’s helpful to walk with someone going through the same thing, let me know.

Nathan the FFK
    October 8, 2014 at 5:15 pm

I have thought a lot about this as well. I used to get really antsy about things like where I was going to eat and stuff like that (I had a very sick addiction to food growing up) and when those feelings creep up now, I think about Matthew 6:25-34 and how we shouldn’t worry about things like because God has us covered! Awesome post!

Tiffany
    October 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I’ve been thinking a lot about this over the past few months (years?). I know that my body is a temple and I try to focus on this when making health related decisions (I often fail), but I also know that there are no requirements as to what that temple should physically look like.

God loves us – that will neither increase nor decrease based on what we look like or anything we do. I’ve been a Christian my whole life and I still struggle with that knowledge sometimes though.

The 2 Corinthians 12:9 verse also speaks deeply to me here. I spend a large part of my energy trying to convey perfection (in other areas of my life unrelated to my outward appearance) and I mostly forget that He works within my imperfections. 🙂