One Month Later

It’s been a few days since I looked at my blog because I’ve been busy with things that are more important, but now it’s time for an update. My aunt, Debbie, came into town last week because her youngest granddaughter, who’s only four years old, has a tumor on her brain. it didn’t look good when she arrived, but after a six hour surgery we’ve learned that she does not have cancer. We’re so relieved, and it feels good to know that she’ll be able to go home without having radiation or anything else that could harm someone as little as she is. She’s laughing and playing now, and it will be years before she understands the severity of what she was facing going into that hospital. Kids are so resilient, and we’re all so thankful that she’s going to be okay.

It has been one month since I have consumed a sugary drink from Starbucks, and the same goes for doughnuts. If you don’t struggle with food, then you may not be capable of understanding how empowered I feel as a result.  That’s okay. You don’t need to. I feel awesome because I’m no longer a slave to caramel macchiatos and fresh glazed doughnuts even though I’m still a regular at Starbucks.

Starbucks New Orleans LA

Shannon and Ariel love coffee as much as I do, and they have helped me stay accountable.

Last week I decided that since I was feeling so good about not eating those sugary things, that I’d add all other sugary things as well. I decided to try one day without consuming sugary snacks, and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I decided to try it again the following day, and I was successful in that too. Starting now, for the next month, I’m limiting sweets to Saturdays, but I was mindful of what I ate over the weekend as well because I was reminded of how incredible I feel when I’m in control.

I have a long way to go, but I’ve made more progress in the last month than I have in years. A month ago I was completely fed up and disgusted with myself, and today I feel like there’s hope for me. I’m taking it one day at a time, and I’m happier with myself than I’ve been in a long time as a result.

What’s your trigger?  Do you prefer sweet or savory foods? Do you have any tips for staying in control of your cravings?

10 thoughts on “One Month Later

1. Cat

I definitely struggle with food; baked sweets and super sweet coffee drinks in particular. I allow myself fun coffee on Fridays only, and I’m working on a schedule of treats. I used to have a treat on Saturdays, but that was apparently too often, because it caused a major struggle on Sundays, then Sundays and Mondays….you get the idea.

I am so excited for you for going a full month! That’s awesome! Thank you for sharing. It really helps to read your experiences and know that I’m not alone. 🙂

2. Daisy

Sugar is my biggest weakness and I keep it in check by just not keeping it in the house. As a stay at home mom in a rural area I don’t have the time, energy or money it takes to grab something premade. I keep ingredients on hand should I want to make something, which I love to do but again there’s the issue of time and energy!

3. Marie from Denmark

Congratulations on your aunts granddaughters health. Thank God she’s OK!

And kudos to you for finding your inner strength and taking back control!

My trigger is almost every emotion – I basically eat my feelings. If I’m sad food comforts me – if only for a short time. If I’m happy I celebrate by eating. Feels like a never ending spiral. I finally think I found some of my inner strength, now I just have to hold on to it! For my kids <3

Love following you – even though I'm halfway around the world in Denmark 🙂 but inspiration knows no limits 🙂

4. cinda

Congrats on your success. I had lost 60 pounds (and need to lose about 100 more) but regained 30 over the past year because my addiction to food reared its ugly head – namely sugar! They are building Darn Dunkin Donuts everywhere and Darn Dunkin Donuts have special donuts every month that are only available then – lately its been a Pumpkin Pie Donut. Oh, and now Krispy Kreme has to join in with their limited edition marshmallow Ghost Busters donuts. Killing me I’m telling ya!! Killing the whole world with their sugar. When I’m strong I can preach about how its disgusting what fast food and bad food is doing to our country – but then I fall victim to it!!!! Keep up the good work – I know you will feel better for it. This is DAY 2 for me being back on track. Hoping to stay strong until Thanksgiving and then enjoy a fun (bad) meal.

5. Love, Jimmie

Food is the biggest battle I have ever or will ever face(d). When I conquer it, even for a short time, I feel so victorious. When I succumb to it, I could not be any lower. I want so much to have a normal relationship with food, where we are no longer locked in a battle of the will. I’d like to approach in a healthy way but I’ve not yet learned to do that.

Emotions trigger it for me, as does boredom. Sugar breeds cravings and really makes my mood foul if I’ve had too much.

Oh, if only I could compress that victorious feeling into a pill and take it when I want to eat junk for the sake of eating junk! I’d be a frillionaire!

6. emily

YAY! that’s such great progress!! 🙂 I like your plan. And I’m even happier you have hope. Hope is something I’ve recently been praying for . In the last month I’ve prayed for hope as I drive to work each morning…hope for my future, hope for the company’s future, hope for my dreams. I’ve also prayed for a positive outlook that lasts all day and you know what? God’s answered all those prayers! 🙂

When I’m overwhelmed by life and want to eat and my apartment is a mess… I pray for help in eating the right things and to bring order to my apartment. I pray that because I know my God is a God of order… and He can help me bring order to my apartment and to my entire life. What’s weird (sort of) is that He may not clean my apartment for me, but somehow I have the motivation to tidy up what’s needed to be able to think clearly again and to know what to do and what to eat. I’m not alone in this… as it sometimes feels like.

7. Meredith

I can’t even consume sweets on weekends – just the very occasional, controlled portion of something special. I tried the weekend thing, and it triggered the cravings and impulse to binge on sugar for days afterward. I’ve been pretty well in control of it since mid-August and it really feels good.

8. Joy Sla

Kudos to you for cutting out more sugar. I know how hard it is to cut out comfort foods. I’ve heard of people losing weight by just cutting sugar and white flour so I think you’re onto something. My friend, a successful businessman, was in a hopeless place with his weight and has since lost 150 pounds without starving himself. He actually wrote a book about it. If you’re interested in his free book, you can check it out at http://www.fathalf.com. Good luck!

9. Diana

That’s great, Kenlie! I have upped my protein intake ( a lot) and that has been key for me. I buy quality vanilla whey protein sweetened with Stevia. I aim for about 100 g of protein per day by using it in a breakfast smoothie and meal replacement for lunch. I usually have 3-4 whey scoops from breakfast up until dinner time. Dinner is a protein, vegetables and fruit with no restriction on healthy fats. I am satisfied, have less food cravings, and have lost weight. This started after I read the book, “The Obesity Cure” by Dr. George Scheele. The book is great, but I don’t recommend his Factor 4 protein product because it is sweetened with Splenda.

As a side note, another good book is “Wheat Belly”, also written by a doctor. Wheat has a substance in it that is highly addictive to our brain, as does sugar.

Again, the changes you have made are great! Most important is how much better you feel. There is a sense of peace when our actions are in sync with our thoughts and wishes.