Dating

The Guy Who Asked Me Out at AutoZone

Earlier this week I had to stop at AutoZone I needed a new brake light, and when I was leaving, another shopper who helped the guy replacing my light asked if I was single.

He caught me off guard with his question, but he explained that he was surprised that there wasn’t a man around to install it for me (apart from the sweet guy at AutoZone who offered to do it for me.)

The guy, who was around 40 years old, asked if he could have my phone number, and after chatting for a few minutes I gave it to him. I figured it couldn’t hurt anything since I’ve been in a dating kind of mood lately, then he called me.

He asked about my life. He wanted to know why I didn’t have a boyfriend, and I didn’t know how to answer that. I mean, the answer seems obvious to me. I have some pretty high standards for anyone who enters my life, and I’m plus-size, which seems to deter a lot of potential significant others.

I went out with a guy couple of times recently who reminded me how to have fun and accept things for what they are, and I’m trying to do just that. My fellow shopper wanted to know why I seemed so surprised that he had asked for my number in the parking lot. He wondered if it was something that rarely happened, in general, and I explained that it was just random and unexpected in the parking lot.

Now I find myself wondering if he assumed that I was surprised because no one asks me out…ever. Obviously, it happens. It’s definitely not something that typically happens so quickly. Guys usually spend some time talking to me before they decide that they want to go out with me.

Now I’m asking myself pointless questions that will unlikely be answered. Did he genuinely find me attractive? Did the guy in the parking lot think that I’d be an easy target because I’m plus-size? Perhaps the answer is yes to both questions, but his inquiries about my reaction make me think that perhaps he thought I was an easy target.

It doesn’t matter because I’m not particularly interested in going out with him. I was much more smitten by the guy that I went out with a couple of times last week.

I know that I’m overthinking the stranger’s reasons, but isn’t that why my blog exists? 😉

Steelers6
    October 30, 2014 at 8:06 am

I may be out of line here, but all the TALK & questions from AutoZone guy seem strange to me.
    A guy is somewhat interested & grills you as to why you don’t have a bf? And also questioning your surprise….If he wanted to get to know you/go out, I would think he would have just been happy you didn’t currently have a bf.?
    Seems odd in print here, but maybe didn’t seem so odd on the phone.
    I guess my brain is thinking–what answer was he looking for?! Y’know?
    Chrissy

Tanna
      October 30, 2014 at 11:51 am

I totally agree Chrissy. Seemed odd to me too. I was put off by it.

October 30, 2014 at 2:13 pm

The part that was so off putting to me was that he asked if I was surprised because it doesn’t usually happen. I wanted to respond back with colorful language, but I like to assume that people have good intentions. In this case, I confirmed later that he did not. Ha

Jessica
    October 30, 2014 at 9:23 am

Well you may be overthinking it some. I would be over thinking it too. I’ve been asked out randomly and have been asked those same questions many times. Most of the times I did go out with them a couple times and they were mostly normal. BUT if you aren’t interested then it doesn’t really matter anyways, right?! 🙂

October 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

That’s what blogging is all about…overthinking, analyzing, etc. And no, it doesn’t matter because I don’t want to go out with him.

cindy weber
    October 30, 2014 at 9:33 am

That’s what a guy says when he comes across a hot woman that doesn’t have a bf. He expects that she’d be taken already. Its a compliment 😉

October 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm

That wasn’t the vibe that I got from this guy…I think I need to post an update. Ha

Tabbitha
    October 30, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I feel the same way. It’s sad that we have been ignored for so long in a society that makes us feel like overweight = unlovable. Then because we are unlovable or the men who may love us are labeled as having a fat fetish we may not trust someone with honest intentions. It’s hard to balance emotionally. I am just starting to experience more of the second glances and I have to admit it’s interesting. I thought getting more attention would annoy and anger me especially if it came from someone who used to act as if I don’t exist. But surprisingly I doesnt bother me as much as I thought. I am just the same friendly girl I’ve always been and just cause someone may want me now doesn’t mean u want them or that they are even worthy of more than a moment of my time. Aaaah perils of the fat girl!!

October 30, 2014 at 10:42 pm

When a guy asks me out, I can usually tell if he’s being sincere or not. This guy clearly wasn’t, and he totally confirmed that when he called again. Ha