Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

Changing My Mindset

Right now my head hurts, and I feel a little achy. I’m not officially sick, but I feel like whining. I’m tired even though I shouldn’t be. I’m stressed even though I know that stress typically passes. I’m just don’t feel great. I don’t feel like myself. Instead I feel like crawling under the blankets in my bed and watching Christmas movies until it’s an acceptable time to sleep. (Okay, the Christmas part sounds like me, but  the watching TV in bed is definitely not normal in my world.)

I’m not at home because I had class today, which was followed by a tutoring session and church. (Once a month we have a service on Wednesday evenings,) and now I’m planning to meet someone for coffee. It has been a busy afternoon and evening, and I’m looking forward to sleeping.

I’ve been thinking about what I could do to improve my health between now and the end of the year. I feel like the sugar thing is under control now more than it has been in a long time, and someone who knows me made a statement earlier today that resonated with me. We were talking about adding more goals that would help me get a better grip on my health, and I’ve been thinking about his response a lot this evening.

He said, “You were really great at it when it was a priority.”

We all know that it’s true. There was a time in which I felt like I had it figured out, and now it’s embarrassing to admit that I didn’t have whatever was necessary to keep it up. I think about my failures a lot, and for a long time, I’ve used them as an excuse to refrain from trying.

The last six weeks or so have been better. I’m eating less sugary crap, but I’m not exercising much. I did a 10k with a friend one day last week, and I walked a few times in the month before that. It’s just not enough. It’s a decent start, but I want that feeling that I used to have when I knew I’d workout everyday.

I want the endorphin rush, and I want to feel the consistency that I felt exercise even when I wasn’t eating as well as I should. I’m seeing the numbers decrease just a little, and I know that if I add some exercise back into my daily routine, I’ll see those little sacrifices add up to a lot of success.

My mindset needs to change. I’ve been lazy in fitness most of this year, but that’s something that I can change right now. I don’t even have to leave home to sweat it out. I have several awesome workout DVD’s, several flights of stairs and a gym at the top of my building. What else do I need? Motivation? Inspiration? Willingness?

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this, but I think I need to spend time doing it (and figuring the rest out later if I still think it matters.)

I need to change my mindset. I’m careful not to “fake it ’til I make it” because that attitude has gotten me into trouble in the past, but in this case, I’m pretty sure that it’s okay.

My weight and health hasn’t been a priority in a long time, but I’ve (successfully) trying to shift that lately. I will remind myself that I’m not going to miss anything important by heading out an hour later than normal. Actually, I’ll be using that time to do something important – to better myself. Few things are more important than our health, and it’s time to adjust my priorities.

It’s not Monday or the first day of the month. This day carries no particular significance, but it’s the day that I can decide to do something good for myself. It’s a day that I get to live without pain or illness. It’s a day in which I get to breathe and enjoy my life, and I’m going to respect that gift by doing something good with it.

smbf925
    November 6, 2014 at 7:42 am

Kenlie,

I have had a lot of the same ups and downs lately. You mentioned thinking about your failures a lot lately and I would have to disagree with you there. I used to plummet into a shame spiral if I missed even one workout, but I have realized that it’s just not going to happen everyday. I think you have already found the real victory in your realizing how much better you feel when you are moving more. That fact that you recognize that and are making a plan makes you successful! Keep moving forward, you are an inspiration to SO many!!!

cindy
    November 6, 2014 at 9:29 am

Is there someone you could walk with? Maybe from church? So its a social on the schedule type thing…

Becky
    November 6, 2014 at 11:10 am

Again you’re writing what is on my mind! I’m encouraged by your honesty and it’s helping me to adjust my own health priorities. Thanks!

Shannon
    November 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Hey Kenlie! The fake it ‘til you make it attitude definitely has some disadvantages, especially if you are particularly self-critical and used to taking an all-or-nothing approach in all endeavors. Maybe this is you, and maybe it isn’t….but it is absolutely me. 🙂
    In terms of physical fitness, faking it = making it. You want to lift weights? Go and do it. Be a swimmer? Go swim. You get it, and I think you always have.

You don’t have to have perfect form. You don’t have to be the best. Just keep that commitment to yourself to get out and do whatever, and understand that you are totally worth that selfish, self-indulgent 30 minutes (or whatever).

Ohh…and long-time reader, 2nd-time poster. You were and are one of my biggest inspirations. Hold that head high, lady!

toni
    November 6, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Ah, Kenlie!!!! Truth! It has been my experience that when I have had chang?growthe in my life, I have sometimes tended to “throw the baby out with the bath water”, turning my back on ‘everything”….In your case, as you have allowed the Lord to cleanse and replace some of the “building blocks of your core”, you could be experiencing a very human tendency which is to think everything about the past must never be replicated…but in fact, exercising was and is a healthy building block. The paradigm shift now includes God’s perspective.I have had times in my life when I had to “hang up my jogging shoes” because if I had exercised or not shadowed my outlook on a day. That was out of whack.. Then, after a time of “fasting”, I, with trepidation, would begin praying that He had transformed my heart and I that I could place this block for the glory of God. He knows that with better health, I can serve as He directs with greater energy! And I have learned that my identity is not # disciplinedexercizer, #consistentperformer but #inallthingsHIS.

toni
    November 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm

sorry for all the typos! ugh! techno toni rides again

jules
    November 6, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Kenlie. You are right it starts with the mindset but for me it was learning tiny tiny steps to change habits instead of prior mindset gung ho go after it. Come do the 30 day daily habit change with me. I posted about it today.

whomoovedmydonut
      November 6, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I agree, there is always more success with small steps when compared to an all or nothing mind set. Something is a lot better than nothing 🙂

Tabbitha
    November 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Hi there! Just adding a eureka moment to the mix. Everyday is a choice and each day you either will or will not. It isn’t good or bad or something to kick yourself over. It just is. The famous saying of don’t give up is overused but still true. Each day is fresh and we can do nothing about our past. So we begin another day by simply doing whether we are “motivated” or not (which is an entirely different topic). It’ll come a little do each day and before you know it it becomes done it at least in process.

Karen P (@gardengirl_kp)
    November 8, 2014 at 4:11 pm

The day I prioritized my health and started losing weight (and now 2.75 years in maintenance), was the day I stopped a 40 year yo-yo diet/binge eating cycle. I continue to prioritize my health. Every. Single. Meal. You are on to something. Here’s to the next steps. My counselor and a health coach helped me immensely. Get strength from your team so you can do the work that is needed. Onward!

Allana Preston
    November 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Keep up the goal setting. It is important that you keep doing for it. Good job on looking at each day as a new opportunity.

Traci @ FabFitMama
    November 29, 2014 at 9:46 pm

“You were really great at it when it was a priority.”

That’s almost exactly what my husband said a few days ago. I completely understand being in a rut, so I’m dusting off the awesome workout videos I have and getting back to it! You’ll get your groove back soon 🙂