Health Weight

Is This A Health Issue That Is A Result My Weight?

When I was at my heaviest I used to be tormented by my aching feet. Sure, I felt lethargic at times, but I felt genuine pain a lot too. It got so bad that I started seeing a podiatrist in the suburbs of New York City to get cortisone shots in the heels of my feet. My feel don’t bother me at all anymore, and they haven’t for years.  I have noticed something that used to occur though, and it’s troubling.

Before I started exercising regularly I would feel numbness on the outer part of my left thigh. It was so long ago that I forgot about it until I noticed it again about a month ago. I’ve noticed it enough lately that I’m talking about it here, which means that it’s happening more than I care to admit.

My blood pressure is on point, and my blood sugar is on point as well.  I don’t struggle to breathe, nor do I break a sweat going up a few flights of stairs. It doesn’t hurt; it just feels numb once in a while and only when I’m standing up.

I don’t have a family doctor anymore because the last one I went to is no longer at that office. The truth is I don’t visit the doctor often at all. I do a half-hearted yearly check-up, but that’s all. In keeping with the truth, this leg this is really starting to bother me, but I’m not sure what to do.

If I go to the doctor, I’ll undoubtedly hear a speech about how I need to lose weight because I do, but when I do go to the doctor, losing weight seems to be the ‘cure all’ for everything. Do I need to see a doctor to hear what I already know?

I was under a lot of stress in 2014 that I didn’t talk about here. Things are easing up now, but I know it’s had an effect on my body. Is that all it is? Could it be more?

I’ve never really been scared about my weight or my health. I’ve always been fortunate to feel pretty good, but I’m a little shaken. I guess the answer is obvious. I need to make some changes, and I probably need to make an appointment with a new doctor as well. (I dread that almost as much as flying coach.)

Sara P.
    January 7, 2015 at 7:04 am

I used to have numbness in my leg but it was a result of a slipped disc in my back pinching a nerve. My doctor told me I needed to lose weight and strengthen my core if I ever wanted to avoid surgery. I did just that and he was right. Not saying you have a back problem but basically saying you probably should check it out because it could be something serious. Better safe than sorry!

smbf925
    January 7, 2015 at 8:00 am

Have you ever considered seeing a chiropractor? It may be that something is out of line and just needs corrected. I have been suffering from severe leg/hip issues the past few weeks and the treatments I have been getting from my chiro help a lot. I think it may actually be sciatica related. I am seeing another chiro this week who is also a kinesiologist to rule out anything else. That may be an option too. I mentioned it on my blog this week and wikl be doing follow ups if you want to see where it leads…(http://waitsandmeasurements.blogspot.com/)

Good luck…its always easy to think the worst when you aren’t sure what is causing something, but it may be a simple fix (hopefully it is)! Good luck and we are here for you!

Tara
    January 7, 2015 at 8:33 am

I used to get this when I was really overweight. My doctor told me it’s a nerve that’s being compressed and that it’s not serious but losing weight would definitely help. If I were you, I would still get it checked out.

cindy
    January 7, 2015 at 8:46 am

I had the same thought too, the chiropractor. My feet were numb when walking, playing tennis, etc. My shoes were too tight. Easy fix. Any leg/hip issues I have are back related so I see the chiropractor…

hatemeal
    January 7, 2015 at 9:24 am

you might want to consider searching for doctors on HAES. They are the types who are going to look at everything to see what your issues are rather than dismiss everything as a weight issue.

Mary Lou
    January 7, 2015 at 9:37 am

I too have experienced similar symptoms. I stumbled upon this information: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/basics/symptoms/con-20030852. Bottom line is that it is likely caused by weight, but you need some evaluation to ensure it is not something more. I too decided to try chiropractic first. I wanted something less “medical” and more natural. I have received relief and he has been tremendously supportive. No discussions about the need to lose weight, as that is obvious.

Andrea
    January 7, 2015 at 11:00 am

I echo the previous suggestions to see a chiropractor. This could be a pinched nerve or something rmusculoskeletal and that is the chiropractor’s domain. Find one you like and your body will thank you!

I’ve been seeing a chirpractor all my life, including when my mom was pregnant with me. It was great all through childhood and growth and sports activities to have a chiropractor. The chiropractor I see now (I’m 42) has been with me as I’ve shed 145 pounds over the last two years and he has been instrumental in helping me figure out how to move and carry my new body.

Cathy
    January 7, 2015 at 11:21 am

When I was obese (over 200 lbs) my ankles were a constant problem. Now that I have lost weight they never are. I never associated it as weight-related, but it clearly was. But yes, of course you should see a doctor, in addition to chiropractor.

Staysail
    January 7, 2015 at 11:34 am

You might try some compression socks to get the blood flow more even. Could help ease things!

Rebecca H.
    January 7, 2015 at 11:39 am

I know that it is hard to find a new doctor, but in my experience, if a doctor blames everything on your weight then you need to find a new doctor.
    I was diagnosed with a herniated disc in my back, and that started out as numbness in my thigh and leg. Once diagnosed, I went to physical therapy for a few sessions and learned techniques to help with flare ups. Not knowing is always scary.

Cathie
    January 7, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I have that exact same numbness on my left outer thigh! It doesn’t bother me most of the time, but when it gets sore it’s usually because my hips or pelvis are out of alignment. A trip to the chiropractor fixes that and the numbness improves. Hope you find out the source!

Anne McElvain
    January 7, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hi! I have that same pain that develops from standing for long periods or walking annoyingly slowly in crowds. The last time I lost 100 lbs, I was also exercising doing a boot camp workout that really strengthened my core. I was still over 200 lbs, but the numbness was gone. A doctor I trusted told me that I had a compressed disk, and I had to find a way to relieve the pressure. All the above suggestions would accomplish that: losing weight, strengthening core, and possibly a chiropractic evaluation. As I put the weight on and stopped exercising, I noticed the leg numbness has returned.

Aimee @ Irresistible Icing
    January 8, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I’ve also put off seeing a doctor in the past for the exact same reason!