Exercise Gym New Orleans Obesity

Planet Fitness: Yes or No?

I have mixed feelings about Planet Fitness, but it may be the best option for me right now. I like other gyms in the area, but some of them cost 5 times more than PF.

The thing is…Planet Fitness does some things differently than other gyms. When I visited with Clint a few times last year, I noticed that they had a free pizza night and bagel days. Is this a New Orleans thing, or does this happen at all of their locations?

Don’t get me wrong; I love pizza! I just love it so much that I don’t know if I could pass it up if I smelled it while sweating on the elliptical. It seems kind of counterproductive. I mean, I have plenty of opportunities to eat junk when I’m not at the gym. Maybe that’s why my exercise space needs to be set apart from that.

I also don’t like how far the locations are from my apartment. Neither location is downtown, but I can get to both of them in under 15 minutes. I drive that far to get to my favorite coffee shop almost everyday.

It’s weird that they don’t allow grunting too. I don’t lift weights that are heavy enough to cause grunting, but I don’t mind when others do.

On the flip side, I really like the 30-Minute Express Workout option that comes with the membership. I like doing circuits because they’re quick, thus making it easy to keep my attention. It’s easily the most appealing part of the gym.

Actually, the most appealing part is the price tag. It’s $10 per month, $20 for the fancy membership. It’s hard to shell out $90 a month for a sub-par gym membership, which is what I did during my first year in New Orleans. It’s also tough to motivate myself to use the free little gym upstairs in my building. It’s nice, but it’s small. In addition to its size, it’s also hard to get motivated when there’s no one else around (at least for me.)

Have you ever been a member at Planet Fitness? If so, would you recommend it? if not, would you consider it? Why or why not?

Sabrina Alexandra
    January 5, 2015 at 7:41 am

I had a PF membership on and off for the last 3 years. I recently canceled it once again. The pizza and bagel days done here in Florida too. I enjoyed the low cost, but it was a bit out of the way for me to get to. Now that I moved it’s even further!

My apartment has a decent gym set up that I wouldn’t have to pay a membership for, but I really enjoy group classes. I am torn. There is a LA Fitness opening two blocks away that I am interested in checking out.

Glenneth Reed (@YourPathToFit)
    January 5, 2015 at 7:58 am

i used to belong to a PF here in knoxville. i loved it. it was always so clean. there were plenty of machines. they only do pizza and bagels once a month – i actually never saw them. for the cost, you really can’t beat it.

Shannon
    January 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

I’ve been a PF member for two years, and I love it. It’s convenient, inexpensive, fits my busy/travel-centric lifestyle, and has the tools that I need to get/stay fit. Most importantly, I’ve always felt comfortable there—at all points along my fitness path, I’ve felt like I could identify with others that had similar goals. PF is a franchise, so the “No Gymtimidation” rules are enforced on a per-site basis. Stuff gets dropped, people exert effort, but in my experience, as long as a member is actually working out and not posturing for vanity’s sake, they’re given the space/freedom they need to get their workout in. In two years, I think I’ve heard the Lunk Alarm 4 times. Seriously.

There’s a tendency in the fitness community (well, from what I’ve seen on My Fitness Pal, anyway) to knock PF for the pizza/bagels thing and the lifting restrictions (85 lb. free weights, no grunting, no squat rack), but in the end, the gym experience is what the user makes of it. I spend my fair share of time in the free weights area, and if I ever get to the point where 85 lb. dumbbells are a walk in the park, well then hey, I’ll re-evaluate my membership. As far as the food is concerned, I never met a carb I didn’t like, but the thought of my fellow gym-goers sweating over my pizza kind of kills the urge for me. 🙂

Good luck in your search! I hope you’ll let us know what you decide!

jenni
    January 5, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I use a personal trainer and walk with friends, I really need the one on one, but truly whatever you can get to easiest is best and the price is right. it doesnt have to be perfect, you just have to get there!

Tamie
    January 5, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I have heard the same things about the “bad” food days, it’s not a New Orleans thing because I am in Wisconsin. I would never get healthy working out with those foods around, but the price tag is tempting. I have been told that PF is the big joke of the fitness community. I live in my own world and don’t go to a public gym. If the price is right and you can avoid temptation, do it. 🙂

shelly penberthy
    January 5, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I enjoy planet fitness…reasonable price, multiple locations within my city and I never feel like I’m being judged. Enough variety to keep me going…the circuit is awesome!!! Do it!!!

jennifer sheremetta
    January 6, 2015 at 4:45 am

I Love PF!!! The pizza nights are done in indiana also but not sure about here in NY. The “fancy” membership is the one I had. There’s nothing better than a water “bed” massage after working out and that comes with the higher cost membership. In ready to rejoin now that I’m settled back in NY. My closest o e is about 5 to 7 miles away which stinks but totally worth it!!

Meg B
    January 6, 2015 at 11:02 am

I was a Planet Fitness member for a year. There isn’t one near me so I ended up cancelling my membership. I liked it, although during peak hours it was insanely busy and really hard to get a treadmill. I would usually do the 30 minute circuit first, and by then a treadmill would open up. The pizza and bagel thing if national, it’s their way of saying “hey, we don’t care about fasting and juice bars, we’re cool like that”. I just didn’t go on pizza night, I believe it was only one night a month anyway so you should be fine. The cost was great and it was always clean so there is that. Good luck!

Val
    January 6, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Just read this recently …take it for what it’s worth because I have no personal experience at Planet Fitness

jennifersheremetta
      January 7, 2015 at 4:13 pm

ok so his reasoning can be true for almost every gym out there (with the exception of the pizza) Most every gym I have ever been a member of or visited has more cardio machines than anything else. As far as the pizza goes…heres my outlook on it. A slice of pizza once a month is NOT going to make you fat nor will it keep you fat!
      One thing my husband has been telling me for years is to NOT DEPRIVE MYSELF of a little junk food here and there. And I have found out he was right all along. I binged on junk food when i would get a hankering for it after forcing myself not to eat it for a while. BUT when I joined the gym and decided to try his way it worked!
      I worked out 5 days a week for 45 min to an hour. 30 min on the treadmill and the other 30 min on other machines. I ate anything I wanted..wendys burgers, french fries, soda..you name it I ate it (within reason of course – mainly on the weekends though) I lost 20 lbs in 2.5 months. I didnt starve myself or deprive myself of junk foods.
      So I look at it like PF is saying its ok to reward yourself once in a while…just relax and enjoy a little of the “naughty” for being so good all the rest of the time 😉

Vanessa
    January 7, 2015 at 9:30 am

I really like PF. I like that they have the membership that allows you to workout at any location and bring a friend, too! Ours has the food days but I’ve only seen them a handful of times over the three or so years I have been going to mine. I go in spurts. There are months that I go almost everyday and do at least SOMETHING then there are months (December) that I don’t even use my membership-ok, I went once! *shame* I do workout at home and I also have a Crossfit gym that I like to go to (man, those are expensive but you get what you pay for!)

thyristor
    January 30, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Planet Fitness is cheap, and if you can’t afford anything else, it might be your best option. I would only recommend it as an ABSOLUTE last resort, though.

In part, it’s because their policies will tend to seriously hinder the progress of their clients. In part, it’s also because — despite their alleged “no judgment” policy — they go out of their way to ridicule bodybuilders, Zumba instructors, and other people who are physically fit. That leaves a foul taste in my mouth.

The following article says it well:

John Brown
    June 8, 2018 at 4:20 am

Thank you for this information about gym. Surely, you should keep balance between sport, healthy lifestyle and having fun and relaxing. Because we live at once;)