Cable TV, Finances Lifestyle Perspective

Should I Cancel Cable TV?

I don’t spend a lot of time at home. It feels like I’m always out somewhere, and when I am home I don’t watch a lot of TV. There are a few TV shows that I watch regularly, but I’ve been watching House of Cards on Netflix most recently.

My monthly bill for cable and internet is $158. That doesn’t include special channels like HBO, etc. That’s what it costs for one cable TV/DVR box and internet, and I feel like a sucker when I think about the money I’m wasting every month for something that I’m not really utilizing.

I used to leave CNN on mute in my living room while I was at home, but the news is far too depressing to leave streaming into my environment all day. I still follow the news closely, but I rarely use my TV for that purpose.

On the other hand, I adore Hallmark movies. My DVR is filled with Christmas movies from my favorite channel, and I watch them throughout the year. Mom and I love to watch Snowbride when she visits, and sadly, it is not available on DVD.

I don’t have many options for cable providers because I like in a historical building, so options like Direct TV are out. I can either stay with Cox Communications, or I can switch the AT&T Uverse. Making the switch won’t solve my problem either because Uverse doesn’t include Hallmark Channel (unless something has changed since the last time I checked.)

I’ve thought about giving up cable before, or switching to basic. I don’t care enough about any TV show that I can’t wait to see it until it shows up online or via Hulu the following day, but it’s the Hallmark movies that make it a tough decision. (Judge me if you want; I’m just keeping it real.)

I’m not sure what I’ll decide, but I’m curious to know if anyone here has given cable the ax. If so, are you happy with your choice?

Sara
    March 25, 2015 at 2:39 pm

We cancelled cable a few years ago and just watched Hulu and Netflix. But then our company (Verizon) gave us a great rate for cable, Internet and home phone service so it made sense to go back and cancel Netlfix and Hulu. I totally understand the dilemma! Have you talked to your cable company to see if you can negotiate a lower rate? Often if you tell them you are going to cancel, they’ll reduce your rate!

March 25, 2015 at 9:38 pm

I kind of think that I wouldn’t miss it very much. It’s something I’m seriousy considering because right now it’s almost 9 pm, and I’m still not even home. Ha

Michele
    March 25, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I dumped cable about 6 months ago and, quite honestly, don’t miss it at all. I find plenty to watch between Netflix and Huluplus. I feel like all I’m missing is the garbage reality programs in real timeand I never watched any of them anyhow. The nearly $200 savings each month is very nice too.

Mickie
      March 25, 2015 at 5:20 pm

We’ve just gone thru this. Our rate increased AGAIN and I hate to switch to Uverse because they don’t have Hallmark!! They wouldn’t negoiate at all. We called back a second time and asked how soon we had to notify them we were cancelling our service and they reduced it by $17. Not much but we’re keeping for a year and then we’ll reconsider. It’s just getting too expensive – especially since we’re planning on retiring within a few years. I wish they would quit these 2-year specials where they jump the price up as soon as it’s over. it’s like they’re forcing you to switch to another company. I really enjoy the Hallmark channel:)

March 25, 2015 at 9:39 pm

I don’t get into the reality show scene at all, so I don’t think I’d miss it either. I’d miss CNN, but I’m pretty sure that my apartment building has basic anyway.

* (@EmilyRoseUhl)
    March 25, 2015 at 5:15 pm

100% YES!!
    Between Netflix Streaming ($8 per month) and Hulu Plus (which I don’t have, but lots of people love), YouTube, and Amazon Prime you can find just about anything!! Even if you subscribed to all the streaming options, you’d still be saving a TON of money. Go for it! 😀

March 25, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I suppose I could consider getting something else, but the shows I like are online the following day anyway. I think I can watch them through Apple TV if I stream them from my iPad.

June
    March 25, 2015 at 6:31 pm

We are getting ready to dump ours next week. I’m just waiting for the season finale of The Walking Dead. I will miss junk tv but figure as soon as I’m out of debt and in a better place I can always get it back. Who knows maybe I won’t miss it? I’m looking at it as an experiment. lol

March 25, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it when you do it. I think it would be an adjustment simply because I expect it to be there, but I’d have to be home long enough to notice anyway. LOL

die-lard.com (@DieLard)
    March 25, 2015 at 9:59 pm

When I started to shut down TV I felt depressed, but it was a kick to my life. Turning off was the frist step in my weight loss journey. Cancel cable TV, Kenlie 🙂

March 25, 2015 at 11:52 pm

The whole reason I’m thinking of cancelling it is because I don’t watch it. I don’t think it will change my weight, but I do think that my new routine could help a lot. 🙂

sunny
    March 25, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I looked up Hallmark movies after you mentioned them and they started streaming movies in the last few years. Looks like it’s a small monthly fee or a $36 yearly fee. Then you get to watch Hallmark original content. I read this article: http://variety.com/2012/digital/news/hallmark-enters-movie-streaming-biz-1118062942/

My cable/internet bill was $135 and about to go up in January, but I called and spent 90 minutes online and on the phone after doing my research and I politely requested what I wanted – repeatedly – even when they tried to sell me more services. I wanted: the lowest cost internet access and cable channels 1-22 with a DVR. I held firm and finally was given what I asked for. I’ve had no problems with the lowest tier internet service and I mainly watch shows on the lower cable channels and can record them. So I’m happy. My bill went from $135 to $77. That’s a savings of $56 a month ($672 a year)! That was worth the 90 minutes online and on the phone with the cable company.

Lindsey
    March 26, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I don’t have Cable and do fine with Hulu Plus and Netflix. I LOVE Hallmark movies and if you wait a few days, they are all on youtube. It’s worth it to me to give it a week and watch them there than to pay for service I don’t use.

kmae1028
    March 26, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I have basic cable with Comcast, and I get about 20 or so channels – including Hallmark! I don’t get the special Hallmark channels (like the mystery one or the one that has movies all the time) but I just get the regular Hallmark channel – and I watch it all the time, too. 🙂 For the most basic cable package, I pay about $30 a month. I have my internet thru a different company and that is about $55, so I guess both together comes to about $85/month for me. I also have Netflix.