A Few Minutes with Senator Bernie Sanders

I have a lot of respect for the office of the presidency, so when I had an opportunity to chat with a man who could be the next leader of the free world I did it.

Bernie Sanders Presidential Election

Bernie Sanders is, in my opinion, one of the most interesting US Senators who has served in my lifetime, and we don’t agree on many fundamental issues. I’m not a part of his team, but I gained a lot of respect for him today.

I met with him at a small, private gathering in the suburbs before he headed to a campaign rally in a neighboring town. I think it’s important to hear what each candidate has to say because it’s the only way we can hold them accountable.

He listened intently and answered respectfully

He listened intently and answered respectfully

We discussed gun control candidly, and I’m grateful that I had the opportunity to share my thoughts on the topic because it hit close to home recently.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood. It’s home to a variety of professionals, but that didn’t stop me from finding a gun in my face last month. I was headed to rehearsal for church at around 8:15 on Sunday morning when a man pointed a gun at me and demanded that I get out of my car.

I shared my thoughts on gun control, instant background checks, gun usage among criminals and the government’s role (and its perceived role) in all of it. We didn’t come to any grand conclusions, but it was interesting to hear his perspective and the perspective from others in the room.

I rarely discuss politics online, but today was an important day in my little world. I’m grateful for the opportunity that I had to communicate with the senator, and I’m looking forward to hearing from other candidates in the coming months.

Kath
    July 27, 2015 at 7:49 am

Oh Kenlie
    I am so sorry you had that situation happen to you
    I hope you are coping with it all and getting some help if necessary

Praying for you
    Kathie xx

July 27, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Thanks…I’m fine. I was pretty shaken up that morning, but I’m fine now.

Steelers6
    July 27, 2015 at 11:38 am

Oh my gosh, what a horrible, horrible thing you experienced in your neighborhood. So sorry to hear this.
    Seems like you had an interesting meeting. It sounds like it was a fairly small gathering, which is nice.
    Chrissy

July 27, 2015 at 10:50 pm

Thankfully, it’s rare in my neighborhood, but New Orleans is a very dangerous city…The crime rate is through the roof.

Christina@LoveYourselfHealthy
    July 27, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Oh gosh, that’s so scary! I’m glad you’re okay.

Sounds like an interesting evening with Bernie. I wish more people would realize that it’s possible to not agree with someone and still respect them!

Mike
    July 27, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Wow Kenlie…. I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you. I have to say that while I felt that I have had some pretty scary situations happen to me, something like this has never happened.
    And I lived in a not so nice neighborhood for a long time.
    I’m glad that you are okay. Dang… this world of ours… Even when we are doing the right thing, sometimes bad things happen. All you were doing was going to church! I mean, it’s not like you were out looking for trouble or anything! Just today, I learned of another shooting that happened here in my state this afternoon. Sometimes I can’t help but wonder if this will ever end…
    But again, the most important thing is that you are okay and unharmed. I will keep you in my prayers, as I do all of my blogging buddies.

July 27, 2015 at 10:52 pm

The shootings are out of control. I’m sorry to hear your state experienced another one too.

Mike
        July 28, 2015 at 7:57 am

Yes, they are. It’s like every other week, we hear of another shooting on the news. The one that happened yesterday involved 2 women. One was killed and the other was shot in the arm, injuring her, but is not fatal thankfully. What’s even more disturbing is that the woman who was shot in the arm had her kids with her and they were just out walking for leisure! I don’t know…. Sort of makes me think twice about stepping outside…

Enough with the Black Lives Matter and Gender Equality Crap |
    August 9, 2015 at 2:03 am

[…] mentioned my chat with Senator Bernie Sanders a few weeks ago, and while I don’t agree with a lot of his […]

Enough with the Black Lives Matter and Gender Equality Stuff, Or Why It’s Not Going To Work That Way | Diet for loss weight
    August 9, 2015 at 6:07 am