Grocery Shopping and Racist Remarks at Wal-Mart

I was inspired to do some meal planning and grocery shopping over the weekend because my goal for the next week is to prepare every meal and snack at home. I’m healthier when I do that, but it does require a bit more effort and planning than I’ve been accustomed to lately.

I don't know if I'll have a sandwich and chips during the week or not. I didn't buy stuff for that, but it sounds delicious.

I don’t know if I’ll have a sandwich and chips during the week or not. I didn’t buy stuff for that, but it sounds delicious.

It’s much easier to eat out since I’m often 15 or 20 minutes from home when it’s time to eat dinner. It’s also easier to order take out on my way home at the end of a long day than it is to go home and cook, but that convenience has led to major weight gain on my part.

Saturday I went to Wal-Mart to buy groceries. I prefer to go to Target or Whole Foods, but I have a gift card (that I forgot to use.) It was also easier for my aunt, who’s here with my uncle because he’s in the hospital, to get what she needed there.

When the cashier was ringing me up she laughed at the way I shop. I don’t use plastic bags for my produce, but I used one for the chicken breast that I bought. I apologized for inadvertently creating more work for her and explained that I didn’t want to waste bags for produce because they’d end up in the trash as soon as I got home, but I definitely don’t want chicken juice all over everything.

Walmart

I thought that was pretty solid reasoning, but she laughed, pointed at the iced mocha latte in my cart and said, “You’re young and white, baby. It’s all good.” I can’t imagine what my skin color has to do with my shopping methods, but I think it’s nice that she thought I was young. I don’t think she said it to be offensive; it was just an odd response.

Am I the only one who skips the bags when buying produce? Do you think socioeconomic status  plays a role in our shopping habits?

MyTinyTank
    August 3, 2015 at 7:05 am

I do the bag on the chicken thing too. Ugh I don’t want meat chicken or fish juice on my groceries. I do bag my veg and fruit though in the thin plastic bag. I don’t want them rolling around. Lol we all have our ways. I reuse the thin bags for my shavings while cooking since we don’t have a disposer.

August 3, 2015 at 4:04 pm

That’s a good idea. I don’t have a disposal either, which is weird. I tend to leave them all in one bag, then I toss it when I toss the rest of the garbage.

Jeanette
    August 3, 2015 at 7:24 am

I use reusable bags for EVERYTHING! I even have one I use separately f or meat. I’m also white (and 33, which I’d like to say is young). Using reusable bags shouldn’t be an indicator of socioeconomic status or race, but it definitely is in my area (NY capital region).

August 3, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I’d say that’s young too since I’m also close to that age. I think it’s definitely a regional issue. It was common when I lived in NY, but it’s also common in my current neighborhood. As soon as I leave it though, people think I’m silly.

Sabrina Alexandra
    August 3, 2015 at 8:12 am

I am 30, living in Florida, and use reusable bags for everything too! Even produce.

Funny you mentioned Wal-Mart because I was in my local store (for the first time in years) over the weekend. I was amazed at the things I witnessed and overheard. Aside from that, it was just WAY to crowded! I don’t enjoy shopping like that. It was like a different world inside there or maybe a world I don’t normally witness in my daily life. I will keep using my reusable bags and stick to Target, Trader Joe’s, and farmers markets. If that puts me in a different socioeconomic status, then so be it.

August 3, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I don’t mind Wal-Mart, but I usually avoid them in New Orleans. When I’m at my mom’s house I shop there because it’s the best option, but I prefer Target and Whole Foods when I’m at home. I go to Trader Joe’s as well, but there won’t be one close enough to justify regularly until 2016.

mimi
    August 3, 2015 at 10:47 am

Here in Quebec (a province in canada) we have to pay for plastic bags. There’s even some places were they don’t offer bag (plastic or paper) at all. We have to change some habit if we want our childs to grow on a decent earth (sorry for m’y english).

August 3, 2015 at 4:08 pm

There are places in the U.S. where it’s the same way. I think it’s a good idea, but so many are resistant to that change.

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick
    August 3, 2015 at 11:40 am

In Austin Texas, you have to buy your bags and they are reusable. No store is allowed to carry plastic bags anymore, although they do have some for the produce section. I never use those bags. It is a huge waste, when at the end you can just put all of your produce into one of your reusable bags.

August 3, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I remember what that started in Austin because blog friends mentioned it. I think it’s a great idea.

Brandy E.
    August 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I have reusable mesh bags for produce. I think I got a package of 5 at the Dollar Tree, so well worth it. Yes I’m white and in my 30s, but I think it’s kind of normal….

August 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I’ll check in there later today. I like this idea too, though I don’t know if that would have made the cashier any happier or not.

David
    August 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I used to have those reusable mesh produce bags, but slowly I lost each and every one of them. Now my fruit goes unbagged, which is fine. I have a smaller canvas tote that I set aside at the checkout for my loose produce, and that’s been working pretty well.

August 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I just don’t want to be blatantly wasteful. There are so many areas in which I could improve, but this one seems simple enough to control.

Erin
    August 3, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I almost never shop at WalMart but yeah, I never use produce bags, either. I have a tote with a hard cardboard bottom that I use to put my produce in, and then I just put the entire bag on the conveyor belt because I don’t want my food touching that, either. I used to work in a grocery store during undergrad – YUCK.

August 3, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I never considered that. Gross! My first job was at a grocery store when I was in high school, but I just pushed shopping carts. LOL

Jessica S
    August 4, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I bet her comment came because of the Starbucks drinks and not much else. That said.. I buy so much produce for my family ( white, 39me-40him- 3 kids) that I do use the think plastic bags at the store for shopping, but I almost always use reusable shopping bags! Produce and meat go into bags for sanitation.

August 4, 2015 at 5:34 pm

You’re probably right about the Starbucks cup. I wasn’t bothered by it because I don’t think she was trying to be offensive. I did take note though because if I had been in her shoes and said something like that, it would not have been okay.

Steelers6
    August 4, 2015 at 11:02 pm

I use cloth bags, and don’t bag veggies for the most part. I do bag meat. I think the cashiers recognize my bags before they recognize me.
    I think your color is obvious, no secret, but to point it out in reference to something seems inappropriate in today’s world. ? Or perhaps to point it out at all. I mean white people aren’t “allowed” to say anything in reference to another color/race/heritage. Huh.
    Wash your fruit & veggies thoroughly, everyone! Kids & dirty diapers have been in those shopping cart..sigh.
    I’m impressed by your menu planning!
    Chrissy