Do You Have Anything To Add To My New Orleans Adventure List?

I met a tall, handsome and seemingly friendly guy over the weekend who (unintentionally) helped me see that I’ve been missing some of the best things my little city has to offer.

He talked about taking me to Dorignac’s, a local grocery store that has practically everything, a big Asian market on the West Bank, the king cake festival that’s coming up in my neighborhood, day trips to fun places and more.

We talked about politics and a variety of other things as well, and he made me realize that while I love my life, there’s a lot more to enjoy. I have no idea if I will hear from him again or enjoy any of them with him, but he unknowingly inspired me to make a list of things that I want to do in and around my city in 2016.

Here’s my list in no particular order:

Go to Dorignac’s (because people who know seem to think it’s the best.) While I’m at it, I should check out the new Fresh Market that opened across the street. I’ve been wanting to do that.
Explore City Park, and relax on one of the many giant swings. I’ve done this; I just want to do it more often.

Visit the WW2 Museum. I honestly cannot believe I’ve never been there. It’s walking distance from my home, and WW2 has always personally been the most compelling part of American History. I can still remember walking through concentration camps in Germany wondering how anyone was ever strong enough to endure those places.

Take a ride on the Creole Queen. During my walk yesterday I stopped to watch the boat depart, and I realized that I wished I was on it. I’ve never really even considered taking a ride down the river, which is silly because that was one of my favorite things about New York City when I lived there. The difference here is that I don’t think I’d take a sail on the roughest, deepest part of the Mississippi River! I’ll take the paddle boat instead.

Creole Queen Cruise New Orleans

Drive to Mississippi to eat barbecue at The Shed. I’ve been hearing how great this places since I moved here, and I love BBQ!

Enjoy an early morning or afternoon at the Lakefront. It’s beautiful over there! How on earth have I managed to skip that?

Eat King Cake at Sucre. I’ve done this once, but you can only do it for a little while each year. I should probably do it again because I love it. I’d love to go to the king cake festival too, but I don’t mind going to Sucre by myself. I preferred to go to the festival with good company.
Drive to Baton Rouge to buy Lush Cosmetics. Okay, I do this occasionally, but I think I need to do it more often. I’m seriously obsessed with bubble bars and bath bombs.

Ride a street car. I’ve never done it. They pass down my street, yet I’ve never done it.

Visit the Insectarium. I know it’s weird, but I want to see what it’s all about. I might even taste a bug just to say to myself that I did. In New Orleans, we eat crawfish, which are really just mud bugs so…

Go to Oak Alley Plantation. I was there over a decade ago, but I don’t remember much about it. I’d love to go there now.

Go to a Mardi Gras parade. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I kind of want to walk down to the street during Muses and maybe a few others too. I’d definitely enjoy this one more with a tall, strong bodyguard, but we’ll see how I feel in the next week or two.

Walk down Royal Street in the French Quarter…just because it’s pretty (and nothing like Bourbon St., which is mostly awful.) I do this sometimes, but it’s been quite a while since the last time.

Eat crawfish (either at my favorite seafood restaurant, or on my rooftop. Actually, I’d like to do both.) I didn’t eat much crawfish last year, but I’m hoping to enjoy it more this year.

Drink a cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde. I tend to do this when friends and family visit from out of town, but I like it. Why not do it more often?

I’m sure there’s a lot more to add to the list, but this feels like a good start. I’m not sure which one I’ll do first, but I’ll do a few of these in the next week. I’ll document it on Instagram too, of course.

Have you ever been to New Orleans? If so, what was your favorite part? What’s the coolest thing to do in your town?

Dale
    January 28, 2016 at 5:33 am

Being a foodie, there would be so much to do and taste down there. I understand the dilemma you have. I live outside Washington DC and am always wondering why I don’t do and see more around the area. Last year was the first year that I made an effort to get out and explore more and it was worth it.

You just need to get out and do it. Its worth it.

February 5, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Yes, I’ve always done that in other places, particularly when I lived in New York, and now I’trying to do it here.

Mike
    January 28, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hey, those are some great goals to set for yourself Kenlie. I hope that you will get to cross a few of them off your list this year. 🙂

By they way, I’m sorry I’ve been sort of absent from your blog lately. I’ve been SUPER busy lately, which leaves little time to do extra things (like writing on peoples’ blogs!)
    Hope to catch up with previous posts that you’ve published soon!

February 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Don’t be sorry, Mike. I have definitely missed you, but I totally understand.

Shannon
    January 28, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Some things I can think of off the top of my head:

The Audubon Zoo! It’s a beautiful zoo and a fun way to get a nice long walk in. I have a membership and take my 5 month old son a lot. My sister and her 2 kids come along and it’s the perfect way to spend a beautiful sunny day.

The Fly (on the river side of the zoo) – A nice place to drink some iced tea and relax in the sun. Some people hit golf balls into the river, others play with their dogs, and some sunbathe. It’s a nice place to sit and watch the boats go by.

Audubon Park walking trail. It’s gorgeous and 2 miles around once. There are benches and things along the route that you can stop at, houses to look at, beautiful oak trees all around. It is bike, rollerblade, running, walking, and pet friendly. I learned to ride a bike on the Audubon Trail.

Magazine Street – A little too trendy and pricey for me, but it’s lined with coffee shops, clothing shops, bars, art galleries.. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

Snoballs at the famous stands around New Orleans..Hansen’s on Tchoupitoulas, and Plum Street Snoballs come to mind.

Haunted History Tours in the French Quarter. It’s a lot of New Orleans history with added spooky stories, if you’re into that sorta thing. It was fun.

There’s all kinds of bike paths along major roadways (I DESPISE the added bike path on Baronne between Julia and Howard because it makes leaving the CBD after work a nightmare!)

Countless plantations. As a matter of fact, you mentioned Oak Alley Plantation and they have a Spring and Fall craft fair that’s really nice. Lots of crafty goods, good food, and a beautiful setting. It’s a bit of a drive, but that’s okay.

Thin fried catfish at Middendorf’s Restaurant. It’s in Manchac.

The Strawberry Festival in Ponchatoula

Visit the Chalmette Battlefield

Walk the beautiful trails in Barataria Wildlife Preserve! It’s located in Marrero. Get on Barataria Blvd. and keep driving til you hit the park and the trails are off to the left and right as you drive down the road. The Bayou Coquille Trail is the best. You cross some bridges and can see gators, birds, turtles, beautiful trees, even some snakes. It’s wild that I can stand in the swamp and see One Shell Square in the distance!

Ride the streetcar for an entire route….the St. Charles one would be the best.

There’s also an open house tour thing that happens yearly where you are granted access to tour the beautiful St. Charles mansions.

This last suggestion isn’t “New Orleans Centered” as far as getting into the city, but Sector 6 in Elmwood is SO MUCH FUN! An hour of trampolines…I felt like a kid again. I was seriously sad when they said my one hour was up. I didn’t want to leave! Foam pits, trampolines, obstacles over foam pits… I want to go back!

February 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Very good ideas!!!!!!

Christina@LoveYourselfHealthy
    January 28, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Fun! I ought to make a yearly bucket list… Even though I live in New Orleans, there’s a lot I haven’t done either!

P.S. Do you drive to BR for Lush just to go to BR? Are you aware of the one in the French Quarter? 🙂

February 5, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I’ve been driving to BR since the one on Decatur closed, but after your post I read that one just opened on Magazine! I can’t wait to go (post Mardi Gras.)

Christina@LoveYourselfHealthy
        February 15, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Oh no, I had no idea the one on Decatur closed! Was it recent? I’m glad they replaced it with one on Magazine! I don’t go nearly often enough 🙂