Reflection

Exercise, Healthy Eating (and Doughnuts)

It’s been a quiet week here, but I’m happy to report that I am down 2.6 pounds from last week. Working in an environment that promotes fitness and healthy living helps a lot. (Big surprise there, I know.) I’m obsessed with BodyCombat, and it’s becoming a regular part of my schedule now. My boss does it with me, which is nice because we can laugh at ourselves and sweat our guts out together.

I also spent time last week getting reacquainted with my neighborhood. I spend so much time in other parts of town that sometimes I forget that I live in one of the coolest neighborhoods in New Orleans. It’s also among the safest, which makes it easy to take a stroll to the river by myself.

Downtown New Orleans CBD

One day last week my walk was interrupted by cool, breezy weather and a view of the Mississippi River. The Riverwalk has a pretty nice food court now, so I bought a power-packed smoothie and found a comfortable chair and ottoman to enjoy before walking back home. Every workout should be that relaxing…seriously.

Riverwalk in New Orleans

I also climbed many flights of stairs last week. After a phone call with my pal, KeepItUpDavid, I was inspired to make a stair climbing goal. The tallest building in my neighborhood (and in New Orleans) is 55 stories, so my plan is to work my way up to the top without using an elevator. My building, which is roughly half that tall, is possible, but it takes me quite a while because my heart needs to slow down several times on the way up. I had breakfast in 55 story building this morning, and it was cool to look at the building, knowing I’d be able to reach the top at some point soon.

One Shell Square New Orleans

My eating was relatively on point last week too. I could have done better, but I did pretty well. I ate a few salads, smoked pork, rotisserie chicken breast (sans skin) and oatmeal, oranges and a few doughnut holes…Yes, I ate a few doughnut holes, then I realized that I don’t want to be a person who mindlessly eats doughnuts, so I tossed the rest. I mean, I literally threw them out of my hands when I realized what I was doing. (I did that when I ordered a few Munchkins at Dunkin’ Donuts in Boston last year too.)

Now it’s almost Wednesday, and it’s time to step up my exercise game. Last week i counted steps using my Garmin Vivofit 2, but I haven’t been as diligent in wearing it this week. I’m okay with that because I don’t want to become addicted to checking my step count, but when I realized I didn’t wear it on my short walk this morning I was bummed. (Seriously, do steps even count when we’re not tracking them??)

How’s your fitness going? What’s happening this week in your world? I’d love to hear about it.

Until then…

Christina@LoveYourselfHealthy
    January 27, 2016 at 1:56 pm

I got a FitBit just before Christmas, and I’ve forgotten to wear it ONCE so far… man, that day felt like such a waste, lol. Climbing 55 stories… wow… I work on the 5th floor in my office building, and I can get to 4 before I need to take a breather. I’m hoping one of these days I can make it the whole way without sounding like I just ran a marathon ๐Ÿ˜‰

Great job on the loss! I’m definitely looking forward to the spring-like weather coming to us this weekend.

January 28, 2016 at 1:46 am

I feel like such a champ when I go up several flights without breaking a sweat. I still get winded, but I don’t find myself needing to stop. Now 55 stories is a different story! I’d have to stop a lot, but I can do 48. It just takes me a long time…ha

Shannon
    January 27, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I just got a FitBit and last week was my first week using it. I am loving it so far. I enjoy that I can connect with friends and we can challenge one another. I also find it to be very accurate. I work in the beautiful orange brick building next to Gallier Hall. The building is having repairs made to the only elevator. I’m on the top floor (the 4th floor) and for 3 weeks now I’ve been walking up and down the stairs. I don’t mind the stairs and have vowed to continue taking them even once the elevator is repaired. The FitBit accurately tracks the stair count, which is awesome to me. How does it know?!?!?

My friend and I meet for lunch downtown every now and then. We met yesterday and I told her about the stairs and the accuracy of the FitBit. She commented that her building doesn’t allow her to use the stairs, even if she’s going from her floor to the next floor up. She works in One Shell Square. So you may need to find an alternate building or a different solution to the stair challenge. If you get permission to climb to the top of One Shell Square, I’d seriously do it with you!!!!!! How cool would it be to say you climbed all the way up?!?!?!?!?!?!?

King Cake is the devil! Specifically Caluda’s! Ugh!

January 28, 2016 at 1:47 am

You’re local?? No way! Awesome!

I just tried Caluda’s King Cake a few weeks ago, and it’s pretty delicious.

I’m always up for exercise company. You’re welcome to join me for a walk around my neighborhood or my gym. Just saying…

Shannon
        January 28, 2016 at 10:31 am

Yep! I’m local and hitting a neighborhood walk would be a fabulous idea! I’m on FB and gonna go add you (Shannon Shedd).

Debbie David
    January 27, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Glad that you are enjoying Bodycombat! It’s one of my favourite classes too!! I was apprehensive the first time round, but after the first class, it got really addictive! Hope to get back to attending those classes too, the lazy bones have been setting in lately… all the best!

January 28, 2016 at 1:48 am

I do love it. It makes me feel empowered, and it’s a great workout! I hope you get back to it too because we can compare notes on the latest launch! ๐Ÿ™‚

Vanessa
    January 31, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Way to go! I would love to try BodyCombat but I don’t know locally where I would go. I just do CrossFit but I am addicted to it! My biggest wish is for someone to join me on my fitness adventures. I love to do races-5k, 10ks, OCRs and trail runs but its really hard to talk people into joining me. I usually get a few people but would love a regular team.
    I wear a Misfit Shine and I never take it off other then during my showers to clean it. I’ve been wearing it for years. I love tracking my steps and my sleep and since it syncs with other apps I can track my calories burned, steps, sleep, etc.
    I feel like I have the ideas for keeping fit down but my body just isn’t that of the athlete. I am built like a guy, a really chubby guy. . .

Mike
    February 8, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Wow!! That’s awesome Kenlie! I am so happy for you! You are like the champ of the staircases, that you are! And wow! 55 stories?! That’s amazing! You can do it though. I know that you can. ๐Ÿ™‚

I think that I am keeping a moderate pace as far as getting exercise goes though. I haven’t been working out in our workout room (just too much stuff to do, which isn’t an excuse I know, but really, my days lately have been so packed) but I have been getting my workouts in other ways. Like you, I started taking the steps a lot more as opposed to the elevator (both at work and at home, several times a day). And at home, I live 8 stories high, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but trust me when I say that it is, especially when one is carrying bags of books up all of those flights. And it’s at the end of the day so I’m already pretty tired after a full day at work. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I do it for the exercise, but also so I can avoid creepy bald guy (what I secretly call this guy that I see in my building) who sometimes insults me and also with whom I am intimidated by (but I did stand up to him once and asked him not to call me what he calls me; yay me!). He always takes the elevator so if I take the stairs, I can pretty much keep from running into him. But really, I’m proud of the fact that I can take the stairs and only get a little tired now as opposed to having to stop several times like when I first started this a few months ago. I’m making progress! My goal is to one day start at the ground floor and go all the way up to the top (15 floors total) and to be able to do it at least 3 times consecutively . Now THAT is one heck of a workout! 2016 is my year, both for being courageous and for doing better with my weight.

Keep on Kenlie. You’re doing great and like me, I have a feeling that 2016 will be your year too. ๐Ÿ™‚