The Post Mardi Gras, Good Grief I Need To Get It Together, Valentine’s Day Blues, Or Something Like That

I’ve sat down to blog several times lately, and I’ve been almost immediately distracted by other things. I wanted to share the details of my food intake during the week of Mardi Gras. In short, I ate a lot of random junk that can barely be considered food. If you follow me on Instagram, then you may have seen the fried Oreos that my neighbor delivered to me during my afternoon nap. You may have also noticed that I enjoyed King cake with friends on more than one occasion.

king cake sucre new orleans

This city shuts down for Mardi Gras. It’s amazing. Stores close, and everyone goes to parades…lots and lots of parades. The revelry lasts for two weeks, and people take it very seriously. I had more fun this year because I found a way to get back to my apartment while avoiding most of the traffic. (This isn’t easy to do when you live at one of the most popular parts of the parade route.) I also went to a couple of parades with co-workers who have become friends, a former colleague and friend and the guy I started dating recently. My favorite neighbor spent a lot of time with me during the week too, and I got very little accomplished. On Mardi Gras Day (Fat Tuesday) I brought Christopher to Starbucks with me, and we met several of my friends there and played board games all afternoon. It was such a simple day, but I loved every minute of it.

My friend, Andrew, who was here in New Orleans for over a week, returned home to New York late last week. And Christopher  is there right now for work, so I took the opportunity to get some sleep, clean house, spend time with people who matter to me and to consider meals for the next few days.

Mardi Gras consists of 14 days of over-indulgence, coupled with time off, but it’s over now. Thankfully, Valentine’s Day is over too. Every year I feel so much pressure to be loved on that day, and every year I feel positively ridiculous about that. I know that I’m loved everyday by my family and friends and Jesus. I’m also happy that I’ve met someone who’s smart, handsome and easy to talk to and makes me laugh until my face hurts, but the pressure of this holiday is way too intense for something so new. Instead of going out on a date, I spent today singing love songs at an assisted living home near my church. They ate ice cream sundaes, and we had some awesome conversations.  The idea was to serve and honor the lovely people there, but they ended up blessing me far more than I could have blessed them.

I’m ready to get back into the healthy groove that I’ve been carving out lately because I feel so much better when I’m doing good things for my body. I spent a lot of time discussing healthy recipes and nutritious lifestyles with one of my favorite people this weekend, and I feel motivated to consume healthy and delicious meals this week. I’ve also caught up on some sleep that I’ve been missing lately, which feels great.

It’s a new week, and I’m ready to make it a good one. I’m taking on more responsibility at work this week, which means I’ll have more opportunities to exercise. I also have my food planned out for Monday and Tuesday. Bring on the quinoa, black beans and chicken! It’s crawfish season too, and I’m already loving that!

crawfish

Is anyone else fighting to get back into the groove this week?

Mel W.
    February 15, 2016 at 7:54 am

We don’t have Mardi Gras so much here but I tracked everything I ate for the last week. I’m ashamed and shocked. I’m within 10 pounds of my highest recorded weight and none of my clothes fit. I’m at a point where I have to decide to either give up on my health or take action. Soul searching.

February 26, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Don’t give up…just do something that makes you proud, which will lead to better choices, in general. There are lots of ups and downs…I mean, at least for me and most people if they’re bring honest.

Alison T.
    February 15, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Certainly am! Yesterday was the first day of my commitment to taking care of me. Mind, body and spirit!

February 26, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Wonderful news! Keep me updated!

barb
    February 15, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Hi Kenlie~

I don’t comment like I should , , , but I read!! You inspire me, you always have. Thank you for keeping it real, I just listened to your beautiful voice – please share that with us more, It’s just beautiful!

Hugs,
    Barb

February 26, 2016 at 10:25 pm

What a sweet thing to say, Barb! Thank you for being here!

Ann
    February 16, 2016 at 10:29 am

The Super Bowl party really did me in, but Lent put us back on track -w/ a small break for Valentine’s choc 🙂

February 26, 2016 at 10:24 pm

I hear that. There are so many holidays! I had chocolates too, and now I’m moving on…and trying to avoid girl scout cookies..lol

steelers6
    February 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

What a lovely way for you to spend Valentine’s day. Neat thing to do, & I hear you on YOU being the one who was blessed. 🙂
    Chrissy

February 26, 2016 at 10:23 pm

It was lovely, and I did get my favorite cupcake from NY and super fancy chocolates when the guy returned. I’m not dating him anymore, but it was a fun day anyway. 🙂

Wat
    February 23, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Your blog is openly expressive and full of optimism. If you like to talk about nutrition and training, hit me up. You know when and where to find me at the Y.

February 26, 2016 at 10:22 pm

I love the fact that you found me here, Wat. 🙂 I’ll definitely see you soon. 🙂

Kitty
    February 29, 2016 at 11:04 am

I found your article on Spark people. I’m so glad you had fun and are learning to take care of your body at such a young age. I’m 62 and I can’t seem to make myself do more than maintain a weight that is double my ideal. I’ve been at the same weight for 8 years or more, but That’s better than before when I was adding 50 pounds every fifth year. Now I”d like to go the other direction.