My Mom Had A Stroke (Actually, She Had Two)

The last seven days have been the most terrifying of my life. Mom flew in one day after I did, and when she arrived I told her that we needed to go to the Emergency Room. The right side of her face was droopy, and she was having a hard time saying her words. She refused to go.

She lost her job (and healthcare benefits last year) and has looked all over to find work. She’s approaching her mid-sixties, and even with her incredible work background and education she hasn’t found work. She was willing to do things way beneath her level of expertise, but she lives in a very small, oppressive area where life has been hard over the last year.

My mom carries the stress of her family on her shoulders. She’s the strongest person I know, but she’s tired. My aunt Debbie has been incredibly sick for over a year, and before that her granddaughter was fighting cancer. Mom cares about them and worries about them. She’s been under a lot of pressure, though who knows if that’s why she had the stroke?

A couple days after refusing to go to the ER, my aunt called me and urged me to convince her. I left work knowing that Mom would protest, but this time she didn’t. She knew things were getting worse, so I met her at the ER.

The next several days were rough. My sister caught the next flight out when I texted her that Mom’s CT scan showed that he did, in fact, have a stroke. (Mom assumed it was Bell’s Palsy.) She spent that night at her local hospital, and they released her. Before she arrived at home, which is only a few minutes away, my sister brought her back to the ER because she couldn’t lift her arm and leg. She had experienced another stroke.

At that point they sent her to a hospital near my home in New Orleans. She went through several tests, and they confirmed that she had a blog clot in her brain. It’s really small, so the doctor prescribed meds that should dissolve it over the next few weeks.

My sister and I brought her home last night, and she seems much better than she did when she entered the hospital. She had two strokes in one week though, which makes the risk much higher that she’ll have another one over the next few weeks. They gave her a pretty strong dose of medicine, which should (hopefully) counteract that.

I know that God is in complete control of this situation (and that He’s here in spite of my fears.) I just want Mom to be okay, and I am praying and believing that she will be.

My sister goes home tomorrow, which means that I’ll spend as much time with Mom as possible. I’ve missed several days of work, which I wouldn’t change for a minute. I just want to be sure that she’s okay too.

I’ve never been so scared in my life. I wish I could say that I wasn’t worried at all, but I’m human…and I’m trying to have faith. I’ve felt a lot of peace, which seems like enough.

We’ve been surrounded, supported and uplifted by people who love us and were willing to put that love into action this week, and I’m so utterly thankful for that. If you’re a person who prayers please pray for my family, especially for Mom.

Kath
    April 26, 2016 at 1:35 am

How scary for both you and mum

I am wondering if you mind me putting the situation around our church prayer chain (it’s fine if you don’t)
    Please know I will be praying for you guys

So glad your mum has you she is blessed

Tracey
    April 26, 2016 at 7:56 am

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have gone through this with my mom as well. It is scary. I am thankful that you have a sibling to help bear this burden with you. I will keep y’all in prayer.

Mike
    April 26, 2016 at 8:00 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom, Kenlie. I must be short right now but please know that I will keep your mom in my prayers. You have my support.

Nan
    April 26, 2016 at 9:31 am

I’m so sorry and have been praying for her. My mother who was overweight died of a massive stroke at age 74- much too young. I struggle with weight too and have treated hypertension. Was your mom taking any medication? My mom had been experiencing ups and downs with hypertension and I try to take mine regularly- I know there are other risk factors. I have known folks who have had strokes and continue to do well with diet changes, weight loss, and exercising. Lifestyle does have to change and as you posted, your mom has been under stress. Has your mom considering doing some social work? I started a career working with folks with intellectual and/or physical disabilities in my mid 50’s and now am 68- my schedule is flexible and I love what I do. I’m praying for a full recovery for your mother.

Michele Friedman
    April 26, 2016 at 4:30 pm

So sorry to hear of your mother’s health crisis. I’m sending white light and positive energy your way for a speedy recovery.

April 26, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Thank you, Michele.

Debbie Lopresti
    April 26, 2016 at 4:55 pm

I will pray for your family.

April 26, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Thank you so much, Debbie.

TC
    April 26, 2016 at 6:11 pm

All I can say is that I am praying for you and your family.

April 26, 2016 at 9:57 pm

That’s the most awesome thing you can say and exactly what we need. Thank you, TC.

Lisa
    April 26, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Thoughts & prayers to you all! How scary!

Patricia Lange-Fischer
    April 27, 2016 at 1:05 am

Sending light and love and prayers for you both!

Danielle Bonine
    April 27, 2016 at 5:13 am

Praying for your sweet Mom, you and your family!