Netflix, Hulu, or ?

I’ve been going back and forth about getting rid of cable. I turned it off for a week last month, and it was great to be free of the distraction for the most part.

Years ago I got into a bad habit of leaving CNN on mute all day. When I worked from home I had a 24 hour news cycle filtering through my living space, and when I ended that in 2014, I felt much happier overall.

It’s hard to turn away from the news now. I don’t talk about politics much here, but if you know me at all, you know how important politics is to my day-to-day life…err, how important it was.

When I started having dreams about crunching poll numbers I knew it was time to make a change again. I signed up for Netflix because I wanted to watch Fuller House with Mom when she visited. I was also ready for Season 4 of House of Cards, but it’s just not my thing anymore. I also watched Jane the Virgin, which is hilarious…at least what I’ve seen so far.

Now, as i think about eliminating cable for a while, I wonder if I should sign up for Hulu as well. I could catch new shows that way, while eliminating the 24/7 news cycle. Apparently, I’m not strong enough turn away from it. I still get sucked into every debate, every town hall on both sides of the aisle (even though I can predict almost everything they’ll say.)

Do you use Netflix or Hulu? If so, would you recommend it? Do you have an alternate recommendation?

Laurie
    April 6, 2016 at 6:03 am

I use Netflix and Hulu. They both have their benefits. Hulu has better selection of latest TV shows. I think Netflix has a better selection of movies.

April 7, 2016 at 11:30 pm

That’s good to know. I occasionally watch movies, but it’s very rare. I think I’ll do Hulu for a while.

waistline warrior
    April 6, 2016 at 7:15 am

Being a movie person, I’d keep Netflix. News is readily available on the internet with every major outlet having a website. Never being much of a TV fan its easy for me not to miss it, but if you are a TV fan, HULU might be what you want.

April 7, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I guess I’m a TV person. I say that because I like having CNN on a 24 hour cycle (on mute though.) It’s ridiculously comforting to me, and I’d like to change that. I’ve spent most of this week without any TV news at all.

Tammy Matlock
    April 6, 2016 at 9:04 am

I have Netflix. And I tend to binge as a result. Lately though, I feel like nothing interests me on Netflix. I picked up some rabbit ears (antenna) at a thrift store, so I still have 5 local channels. But I rarely watch them. However, as busy as I am, it perfectly fits my schedule. AND my budget!

April 7, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Seriously…That’s a great point, Tammy. I’m rarely home anyway, and paying almost $200 a month for cable/internet/phone seems silly even though I’ve been doing it for years. I miss the news, but it’s not like I can’t find it online.

sunny
        April 8, 2016 at 9:26 am

If you don’t want to give up cable completely, you can scale back and/or negotiate. I used to have the bundle for phone/internet/cable. then I cancelled the phone. then months later, after I found out that the slowest internet access works just fine (and is much cheaper!), I spent 30 minutes on the phone being passed from sales rep to sales rep – to get precisely what I was asking for. I wanted two things: the lowest priced internet access and cable channels 1-21 and a DVR. (I did my research online and had found a chart that showed which cable channel package you could get that still let you have a DVR).

I would repeat my request to whomever I was talking to until finally someone realized I wouldn’t budge and arranged for me to get precisely what I wanted. My bill was averaging $135 or higher for internet, all cable channels, and DVR rental. Now I barely notice that my internet speed is slower than it was before (and I stream movies so I’d notice if it was an awful connection) AND I can still DVR the network shows I don’t want to miss. My bill went from $135+ to $70. Spending 30 minutes on the phone to arrange for what I wanted – saved me $65 a month ($780 a year!!).

Barbara Snyder
    April 6, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I have Netflix because my sister gave it to me. If I were more techno savvy, I’d go the Hulu route and give up Dish forever.

April 7, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Yes, it seems like you can get most things with Hulu now. I think I’ll sign up next time I’m in the mood to watch TV. 🙂

Back-up
    April 6, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Steph and I have only Netflix and Hulu. They don’t have everything but they have enough. When I broke away from cable, I thought I would miss it, but it didn’t take long until I was adjusted. It helps me to not just watch random stuff. I’m more intentional in what I watch. Also, which is a huge plus for us…it’s cheaper.

April 7, 2016 at 11:35 pm

First of all, I love that you just commented on my blog. You’re awesome.

Secondly, you’r right..it’s so much cheaper! I’m going to see if I can get used to it.

Thirdly, I’m more interested in spending time with my Bible, which always seems like a win.

sunny
    April 7, 2016 at 9:12 am

I should cancel cable. I have hulu (paid extra to have no ads so the shows play continuously) and I have netlix for stuff that isn’t on hulu. AND since I have amazon prime for shopping, there are also movies and shows I can watch free with amazon prime. So you’d think I could cancel cable too! Maybe I should just do it!

I stopped watching the news years ago….and catch up when I need to – online. My days are happier too without all the news.

I haven’t let go of cable yet becuase it comes with a DVR..and I like recording my shows to watch later. So as you can tell, I”ve not made a solid decision yet! 🙂

April 7, 2016 at 11:37 pm

You’re right where I’ve been for a long time. I like the DVR. (mainly for Christmas movies.) I also love baseball season, but I don’t catch a lot of Yankees games in New Orleans anyway.

I’m trying life without it, and we’ll see how it goes.

Elizabeth
    April 7, 2016 at 9:46 am

Netflix and Hulu + a digital antenna for local stuff

April 7, 2016 at 11:38 pm

I live in a high-rise, and I’ve often wondered whether or not an antenna would work.

Michele Friedman
    April 7, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Hi Kenlie,

I cut the cable cord about a year and 1/2 ago for financial reasons and it was the best decision I’ve made in my life. I get plenty of news about what’s happening in the world both close to home and beyond from the internet. I have both Netflix and Hulu and go back and forth between watching one more than the other. I like Hulu because it carries some current shows that come right over from the networks AND I can watch other shows about which I’m feeling nostalgic or they’re from other countries and I never got to see them in first run. I love seeing movies on Netflix (The Princess Bride is currently on there and I’m going to be wearing that one out before they archive it) but they also have some great programming themselves, like the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and again they have some of the shows from network television but are about a season behind.

In my humble opinion, cut the cord and go with both Netflix and Hulu. You won’t regret your decision in the least.

April 7, 2016 at 11:39 pm

I cut the cord, and I’ll see how it goes for a while.

Morgan Joyner
    April 7, 2016 at 2:10 pm

We got rid of cable about 3 years ago and have both Netflix and Hulu and it has been so much better for our family. Not only far cheaper, but we don’t waste time or energy watching things just because they are on, or scrolling through endless channels where nothing is on. We happen to have Amazon Prime also since I pay for it for shipping needs, but I don’t find much to watch on there.

April 7, 2016 at 11:40 pm

That’s a great point. I usually sit on my sofa, mindlessly watching the news without the volume on, or I watch far too much of this political nonsense that’s happening these days. I definitely feel lighter without all of that.