How Often Do You Go to the Movies?

I don’t see many movies in the theater, and I don’t watch many at home either. Sure, I went through a pretty long love affair with the Hallmark Channel, but that seems over for now (at least until Christmas in July.)

Going to the movies is fun, and it’s a great way to avoid the scorching temps that we experience for months on end in New Orleans. I just rarely think to myself, “a movie sounds like a fun idea,) but last week I decided to see a movie on Friday because my friends at Starbucks made it sound so appealing.

They’re retired, and they’re early birds! (I aspire to be like them,)  and as we drank coffee my friend, Cathy, mentioned movies and everyone agreed that morning movies are great because they’re so inexpensive. As I questioned why anyone would go to an early morning movie I began to wonder why I don’t do it. I typically don’t go into the office on Fridays, so it’s a great day to treat myself to a $5 flick. Who knew that morning movies were so much cheaper?! (Okay, my friends at Starbucks knew, and I’m glad!)

I don’t know how many movies I’ll see over the next few weeks, but I plan to add that to my fun list of activities by myself or with friends.

How often do you go to the movies? What does a standard movie showing cost in your neck of the woods?

Heather Pilar
    June 22, 2016 at 8:12 am

Love your post today! The movies are one way I treat myself. I prefer to go by myself to the fancy theatre’s with the reclining overstuffed leather chairs (after taking out a second mortgage to pay for my $20 ticket) and I do order popcorn! My ex-husband never would let (I will say “let” because I was too young and naïve to realize I had a voice) me order popcorn so the first thing I did when my divorce was final was take myself to the movies! The next movie I plan to see is this weekend and will be “The Secret Life of Pets” because, yes, I am a kid at heart! It also allows me time to disconnect from the phone and outside distractions for some quality “me” time. =)

June 22, 2016 at 10:57 pm

That sounds like a stellar way to view a movie! I fully support it. LOL

mfclingan
    June 22, 2016 at 9:07 am

I just realized yesterday that the one theater near me is $5 every tuesday…all day. If it’s a VIP movie (the reclining seats) it is $8…….I will be hitting the movies more often if I can swing it with my work schedule!

June 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm

That’s awesome! I’d totally do that!

Melinda
    June 22, 2016 at 12:11 pm

There was a time when I’d see at east one movie a week in the theater. Now that I have kids, we might go 2-3 times a year. I don’t really miss it, though I figures I can let everyone else watch the movies and then tell me which ones are worth my time. Then, when they show up on Netflix or Amazon, I can watch them from the comfort of my own home.

June 22, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I tend to watch movies at home when I watch them. I’m pretty sure that my boyfriend and I will watch Star Wars at some point soon…like, all of them, as I’ve never seen any of them. I’d do that in a theater if I could, but I’ll be just as content (if not more so) on my sofa with him and my homemade popcorn. LOL

Gloria Lewis (@WitchyGlo)
    June 22, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I love going to the movies. Nothing like an action packed movie on the big screen with surround sound! Movie tickets are $8 in my end of western NC with a popcorn combo adding another $10. My problem is it’s been awhile since a really good movie has been released. You know, the kind where at the end you say “WOW” I didn’t see that coming 🙂

June 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, some movies are definitely better on the big screen. I agree!

Jeff Laws
    June 26, 2016 at 12:37 am

I used to see everything in the theaters but those days are long gone. I generally will only pay to see movies I know, for sure, that I’m going to enjoy which basically comes down to some of the comic book movies, star wars and star treks. The kids and I go to the first showing on the weekends because it’s only $5.15/ticket. It’s usually between 10am and 11am but for the money, I’ll take it.

Karen
    June 28, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Our movies are $10.99, except for the first movie of the day and all day Tuesday. Then movies are $5.49. Guess when we go! 🙂