Now That I Have Health Insurance Again…

This has been a productive year, and now that I have health insurance again I’m facing the daunting task of finding a primary care physician. Can we talk about how hard it is to find a doctor who will look at your whole person when you’re obese? (Yeah, I know I’m obese. I know I need to change that. I know that’s all you see, but can we discuss other things as well?)

I’m not saying that every doctor will see my size and nothing else, but the reality is that I’m facing an uphill battle. I haven’t had a lot of experience with doctors or hospitals, which is awesome.  I do know that I do need to get a physical and address a couple of  issues that have bothered me for a while. (I’ve mentioned them here in previous posts.)

Last time my blood pressure was checked it was 138/82, which is the highest it’s ever been…ever. I know that’s not terrible, but it was a reality check for me. I think it will be lower in the coming months because I’m exercising more than I have in a long time. My blood sugar was perfect too, which was good. I  just realize that I’m getting older and that I need to get serious about making some minor changes (at the very least.)

My biggest issue lately has nothing to do with finding a PCP though. I constantly squint because it’s harder to see the screens I stare at for the majority of the day. Even reading books on my iPad is taxing on my eyes, so it’s time for another visit to the eye doctor. Thankfully, that’s no big deal.

Do you have health insurance? If so, are you satisfied with your doctors and coverage?

10 thoughts on “Now That I Have Health Insurance Again…

1. Karen Scott

Good luck finding a good PCP. You would probably have better luck finding a good nurse practitioner. In my opinion and experience are more thoughtful and thorough. I am a Home Health nurse and deal with many physicians and NP’s. Most of the time it’s the NP’s take the time to discuss issues and really work for the patient.

2. Pam

I am lucky to have a wonderful PCP. I do work in a hospital that is well known and excels in many areas so I do not have the struggles that other people do in finding good care. I am also lucky to have good insurance. But yes, start now with a good care provider whether it is a CRNP, MD, or DO. Watch your bp, blood sugar, heart and gyn issues. So many big things start little many years before they devastate our lives. You are smart enough to be well for a very long time!

3. LJB

Ask trusted friends at work or church if they know of Drs or Nurse Practitioners who they think would be good. Look them up on the Internet to see reviews- you can’t always trust them but you can get some indications. Call the local medical society to see if they have referral lists. When you go, if you don’t like how they treat you, look for someone else. Good luck. We ended up actually at a teaching residency program which we like, but we have a new doctor every 3 years.

4. Sarah

I went almost 12 years without seeing a PCP for that very reason and I work on a medical school campus. I still saw a gyn, but only every 3-5 years, just enough to keep up on everything. I finally went this past year. I had turned 40 and I just needed to know where I was at, besides the number on the scale. And I was perfectly average… Despite my weight, which was near 330 lbs, I was metabolically “lean.” The first time anyone had ever used that word to describe me. And for the first time I felt like I was heard. I don’t drink soda, or eat a lot of junk food. I’m probably too sedentary, and I have my indulgences, but they aren’t outrageous. So, I just went to the medical practice on campus and I don’t know if it’s because I’m dealing with young residents or what, but for whatever reason they’re more open minded and friendly than any doctors I’ve had in the past. So, if you have a local university hospital, check there. You might be surprised by the level of care and compassion from the next generation of doctors.

1. Kenlie Post author

12 years?? Wow!

This is great advice, and I’m definitely going to look into that. We do have a university hospital that is highly regarded here.

Thanks for that idea.

5. Maryfran

Good luck with the Doctor hunt!!! There are doctors out there that do NOT blame everything on obesity and actually understand it and can be supportive!!!!!! Keep looking until you find that special Doctor!!!

6. Heidi

Hi there! Insurance is awesome and finding a Doctor that is accepting is even better! 3 months ago, I had Gastric sleeve surgery and it literally is the best decision that I have made. It really is a great tool to help with eating less. It is a huge decision to make, but maybe that is something to consider? I’ve been following you for a long time and you have struggled right along with me in the weight loss department. It is so hard!! But it looks like you are on a healthy path again. Good Luck!