Stress and Gratitude

Have you ever had one of those weeks in which you’re counting down the minutes to Friday and looking forward to the fun things you’re going to do over the weekend? Well, that was me…last week…until my plans for a relaxing, long weekend with people who matter to me were cancelled. Thankfully, I was able to recharge on Monday. (Can we just talk about how much I love long weekends?)

Windblown after a day at the beach

The last few several weeks have been stressful. I’ve had some amazing moments, but it also feels like I’m carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. Mom is doing so much better than she was physically, but it’s still hard not to worry about her. She’s recovering though, which is the most important thing to me right now. I’m so thankful for that.

Last week I just didn’t feel rested. This week was better, but I’m still fighting to get back to my regular energy level. I typically sleep like a champ, but I’ve been restless a lot over the last few nights. Last week I was completely worn out. This week has been better, but I still don’t feel 100%.

I know that my weight is affecting the way my body feels. That’s obvious, but I want to change that. I need to change that.

The air conditioning has been out at work since April, and I’m taking on some challenges that simultaneously excite me and scare me.  I have had a few moments in which I felt like crying and/or curling up in a ball, but as stressed as I’ve felt at some points, I’ve also experienced some awesome moments.

East Jefferson YMCAIf you keep up with me on social media you may know that I work at the YMCA. I do membership stuff and marketing things, which gives me an opportunity to reach the community in ways that are new and exciting for me. And right now we’re halfway through an 8-week painting class that I coordinated for children with special needs, and it brings me so much joy to see those kiddos enjoying themselves each week. Some of them are so talented that it would be hard to convey without just showing you. Maybe I’ll share some photos from our upcoming art gallery.

I’m also working on another project (the one that is challenging and slightly terrifying.) It’s not something I’m ready to discuss here yet, but the point is that work is good. I’m happier than I knew I could be in an office environment, and I’ll be much happier when I go in on Monday and the a/c works again. (I mean, it’s Summer in New Orleans.) My boss and I joked that we’re bringing our jackets because we’re going to freeze ourselves out.

It’s also an exciting month because my sister and nieces will be here in a few weeks. Auntie has  a long list of activities planned, so I definitely have to get energized before they arrive.

I’ve been pretty lazy with my exercise routine lately, so I’m starting TRX workouts next week with a few friends from work. I’m not sure what to expect, but I’m grateful for the opportunity to work with a trainer before I leave work.

I’m also sleeping more than I ever have. I’ve mentioned in previous posts that I require 7 to 8 hours of sleep now. I’m okay with that, but I know it will be a lot more beneficial if I release the stress that’s been lingering and spend more time exercising.

Hydro FlaskDrinking water also helped a lot lately. I still felt run down, but I felt much more alive than I did the week prior. I’ve committed to drinking more water, and I’m guessing that will help as well. I still don’t drink sodas, and I only drink coffee a few times a week. I just stopped consuming a gallon of water a day until I purchased my new Hydro Flask. It’s 32 oz, so I only need to fill it up 4 times to reach my daily goal. And I love the fact that it keeps the water cold all day! My sister gave me an 18 oz Hydro Flask a few years ago, and after losing it, I considered buying this one. I seriously wanted for about a year, and now I take it everywhere with me. I even brought it into Whole Foods today where I had lunch with my friend, Michelle. Wow, I suppose it would be an understatement to say that I’m stoked about my water bottle. Sometimes it’s the little things. Ha.

Now I’m back to recognizing my lack of self-discipline and trying to remind myself how much better I’ll feel a month from now…three months from now…if exercise is a part of my daily routine.

Today I’m going to stick to the basics and use one of my favorite workout DVD’s for motivation. 30-Day Shred used to bey go-to, and now that a certain someone has connected my DVD player, it’s on. It’s the quickest workout I do, but it also works every part of my body. I can handle  27 minutes of circuits even though I don’t feel like it.

Am I the only one who’s tired of being tired right now? I don’t know if anyone actually reads the things I write anymore, but I’m guessing that I’m not the only one who needs to work on consistency in my intake and exercise.

Maybe I’ll have some positive things to report soon…

Pam
    June 4, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I read everything you write Kenlie! Like you, I am tired of being tired and know I need to exercise. Unlike you, I have no idea where to find the time or where to start. But you are right..in a month it will certainly feel better. Thanks for the reminder and good luck!

June 5, 2016 at 8:22 pm

I think we just have to make the time, Pam. It’s hard to feel motivated to do that, but we have to do it anyway. Once I get back into a regular routine I know I’ll feel better than I do outside of a routine.

Mike
    June 4, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Hi Kenlie. I am happy to hear that your mom is doing better these days. I’ve been praying for her; I really have been.

I’ve sort of started a nightly prayer routine that I do each night when I randomly pick a person (blogging buddy, pen pal friend, family member, co-worker, etc.) that I know or interact with and pray for them while I’m laying in bed, moments before I go to sleep. And one of those people I prayed about on one of my nights was your mom (and you, as I figured that you were really stressed and worried about her). In truth, the reason I started the nightly prayer things was so that I wouldn’t cry at night.

While I really don’t want to speak of such private matters publicly on your blog (you understand), let’s just say that I’ve been having a really hard time lately and for a while, I’ve been crying myself to sleep almost every night. But I think the reason for that lies in the fact that I was so busy in focusing on my own issues and thinking about them made me feel sad. So I started thinking about my friends and praying for all of them as that would take my focus away from me and it would be on someone else. And I know that God hears my prayers so it also helps me that I know that someone is listening to me.

So anyway, I said all of that just to say that I’ve been praying for your mom Kenlie and I am happy to hear that she is doing better. It sort of encourages me to know that (or at least believe) that I’m helping to do good and make someone else’s day, whether it’s lending a helping hand, smiling at a stranger who may be having a bad day and they return the smile, or just saying a few kind words to someone. It’s all of these little things that add up to something greater. And, well… just hearing that you are doing well by reading this post made me feel happy, encouraged. I’m sorry to hear about some of your rough patches and that sort. I guess we all have those every once and a while. But it looks like things are getting better for you and that’s what’s important. Seeing your sister and nieces, getting more sleep at night, encouraging yourself to drink more water, and all of the things that you listed that you are excited about, it makes for a beautiful kind of joy in your life. And what you’re doing at the YMCA is just wonderful; helping kids to aspire to be their best and to do different things to promote creativity; I think that’s just wonderful! Keep on Kenlie! 🙂

And I always appreciate being able to read your posts here and see how things are going for you, Kenlie. I always feel so encouraged after reading them and I hope that you’ll continue writing. 🙂

Pam
    June 5, 2016 at 1:50 am

Absolutely, I am also tired of being tired and consistency is an issue for me as well. Enjoy your blogs. Thanks for sharing

TC
    June 5, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Hi there, I never post but always read your posts and love them. Praying for you and your family.

Ann
    June 6, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Glad to hear your mom is doing better! I read all your posts, but don’t always comment. I need to get some consistenc-y too. I always have these grand plans to get to the gym & make dinner, but then I work late & everything gets blown off. I need to prioritize myself better too.

LJB
    June 7, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Yes, people read what you read and look at your wonderful pics on Instagram! I’m so glad your mom is doing better – I’m probably closer to her age than yours, so I’m so aware of the effects of just more time on our bodies. You’re pic at the beach is so pretty! I love New Orleans too and used to travel there several times a year. I found you on Sparkpeople on a blog of yours that they had featured.

Lisa
    June 7, 2016 at 10:33 pm

The Y sounds like the ideal place to work – how convenient for exercise! I would love to be able to get a workout in before work – but I start at 0730 and even my morning-person-ness can only handle so early!