Gastric Sleeve Surgery: Day One

The process to be approved for weight-loss surgery is not short, but if the end result leads me to incredible health benefits it’ll be worth it. It’s slightly less overwhelming now that I’ve spoken to my doctor about everything I need to do in preparation, but it’s going to be a long road.

The surgeon sent me a checklist that must be completed before I can be approved, and the process has begun:

• Clearance from Cardiologist with a recent EKG – I had an EKG a few weeks ago, and it came back normal. Whew! I still have to see a cardiologist though, which means I have to find one soon.
  • Psychological Evaluation – I’m in the healthiest place I’ve ever been in my heart and mind, so that doesn’t seem like a big deal. I just need to schedule an appointment.
  • Pulmonology Evaluation – I have to have a pulmonary function test and an arterial blood gas. I really have no idea what this means, but it sounds like it might hurt. Yikes!
  • Blood work with a TSH within the last 12 months – I did this a few weeks ago too, but if they need more blood I’ll let them poke me again. I think we’re good are though.
  • Physician supervised weight loss and exercise program for 6 months – My insurance pays for Weight Watchers meetings, which counts. I’m already doing pretty well there, so I’m going to keep it up. Today was my first of 6 appointments that will be specific to my weight-loss progress. I’ll see my doctor again a month from now, and I hope to be 8 to 10 pounds lighter.
  • Dietician Evaluation – This seems pretty straight forward, and I think I could benefit greatly from it. I’ll do that on the same day as my surgical visit.

I’ve been doing well with Weight Watchers lately, and I’m finally starting to feel well after a few weeks of pain due to skin issues. I haven’t exercised in over two weeks, but I think I’m well enough to start again. Unfortunately, there’s no prescription or remedy to completely fix the problem, so even though it hurts again I have to deal with it.

sleep studyTonight I’m doing a sleep study, which should be interesting. Thankfully, they sent me home with the equipment, so I’m not required to spend the night anywhere else. It seems invasive, but it won’t be nearly as uncomfortable as sleeping in a hospital or another strange place.

I typically sleep through the night and wake up feeling rested, so I’m guessing I’m okay. I’m just going to do every test they suggest with the hope that it will lead me to a healthier place overall.

This process feels overwhelming to me, but I’ve spent the last few weeks thinking about how life would be different. I already love my life! I have a loving family, a great job, a group of good friends, a boyfriend who is thoughtful, encouraging and understanding, a comfortable home and a bright future. I don’t want any of that to change; I just want my health to improve long-term, so I  can enjoy the life I’m already living. It would be cool to be able to buy jeans again too, but I think I’m pretty close to that right now.

15 thoughts on “Gastric Sleeve Surgery: Day One

1. Christie

Crazy. I just revisited your blog to find that you are doing the same thing I am. I just had my 4th surgeon visit and I am down 25lbs. Surgery is sometime in October. Good Luck!!!

1. kristen

You’ve got this! I’ve been through skinny and not so skinny and id much rather have inner peace and happiness than be thin. This will just be icing on your cake! Happy for you.

2. Kenlie Post author

Sometime in October would be amazing! I’m looking at after the first of the year. I would love to hear how you’re doing. Please keep me in the loop!

2. Kristie

I had the gastric sleeve over 6 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have zero regrets. It seemed overwhelming to me at first too and I wasn’t sure if I was making the right decision, but I’m so glad I did. You will finally have a tool that will help you lose the weight you want and will feel amazing!! Best of luck to you!

1. Kenlie Post author

Thanks, Kristie! I know it’s the right decision, and I can’t wait to get it done! Congrats to you!

3. Karen Scott

Kenlie,
    Not to be nosey but if the skin problems are friction I would like to recommend Resinol. It is available at the pharmacy, usually behind the counter. It is a great skin ointment for healing and as a barrier.

1. Kenlie Post author

Unfortunately, it’s a lot worse than friction. It’s cellulitis, and I have a couple of open spots. I can handle the friction, but the open wounds are much harder to handle.

4. Tammy

I thought I wouldn’t sleep at the clinic, either, but it turns out that it wasn’t a problem. They said my apnea was moderate, and now, I’m waiting for them to tell me where to pick up my machine. I will say that going to the clinic had me hooked up to a lot more than what it looks like you have. There were wires all over my head, chest, and even down to my ankles (checking for restless legs, I think). The girl was very surprised when I said that I had been dreaming, I guess some people never get in the deep sleep that allows you to dream.

I know several people who had the gastric sleeve surgery with varying levels of success. My hairstylist is now too skinny, and one of the girls at work lost 50 pounds right off the bat, and then stopped. I know she wanted to lose more. I hope you have great results with yours.

1. Kenlie Post author

I’m happy to report that I do not have sleep apnea. I didn’t sleep well that night, but it was because I kept wondering when I could take the stuff off of my head.

5. Heidi

Yay! I am so happy for you. I am with the Kaiser program in California. All of the programs are a tad different, but all seem like a long process (unless you go to Mexico). I will say this…even thought it seems like a long process now, it WILL go by quickly! My very first Orientation was October 2015. My surgeon said i had to lose 18 lbs, plus go to all of the other classes (Psych, blood tests, multiple classes, support group, etc) before i could have surgery. It seemed like a lifetime away…. BUT then on 3/7/16 (6 months later) I had my sleeve and everything went excellent and now i am 76 lbs lighter than i was in January! You will get there, be patient, follow the rules and you’re surgery will be here before you know it. Everyones journey is different and you will have a love/hate relationship with it, but overall, it’ll be awesome!! Good luck! Excited to follow your story!

1. Kenlie Post author

Thank you for sharing your story and encouragement, Heidi. I appreciate it, and I’m doing what you said. I’m following the rules and moving forward. 🙂

6. kristen

I want to also mention you might try Colloidal Silver for your skin. It has amazing microbial properties. Can heal ear infections, etc. Please check it out. Hope it helps.

1. Kenlie Post author

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure where to find it, but seeing this comment reminded me to google it.