Gastric Sleeve Update: Psych Exam, Exercise and Processing My Feelings On All of It

I completed my psychological evaluation for surgical clearance today, and now all of the testing is complete. I’m seeing my doctor on Tuesday, at which point she will have to send in some additional paperwork. If all goes well I’ll be able to schedule a surgery date soon.

If I need to wait until after September to have it, which is a very real possibility, then I’ll plan to do it in January. Either way, I’m ready to know the timeline because I’m tired of thinking about it, talking about it, wondering about it, etc.

I’m also actively trying to shift my focus from my impending surgery because I’m tired of hearing everyone’s opinion about it. I know that I invited the opinions of others the moment I shared the news that I was exploring the process, and I did that for specific reasons.

Weight Loss Surgery is a big deal, and I didn’t want to hide the fact that I’m doing it. I don’t want it o be a secret; I just want people to understand that just because I’m not terrified doesn’t mean that I don’t understand the risks, the difficulty of the post-surgery and the potential for life-altering changes. I do appreciate the support, encouragement and testimonials I’ve heard from many of you, so keep those coming!

If my doctor thinks I should wait a few months to do it I’ll do that. If my doctor and the surgeon give me the go ahead I’ll do that. After a week or so of eating junk that I don’t usually eat (since I wasn’t sure when I’d get to do it again) t’m at peace about the process. It’s ridiculous to think that I ate doughnuts twice last week after eating only once or twice all year simply because of the impending changes. Thankfully, I kicked my own butt back into reality,  and I’m prepared to do whatever my doctor suggests because I want to set myself up to experience the utmost success.

My skin no longer hurts so much that it keeps me from exercising, sweating or moving. It was a rough period of about 7 weeks total, but for the last 7 or 8 days I’ve felt 99% okay. I’m still reminded of the areas that aren’t healed, but sitting down, standing up and stepping into the shower no longer brings me to tears like it did.

I’m preparing for a 5k that I’m doing with my boyfriend and friends on September 10th, so right now my focus is on cardio, cardio, cardio. They’ll all finish in under half an hour, but it’ll take me about 67 minutes. I’m okay with that because they’ll be waiting for me on the field inside the Superdome, where the race ends.

I’ve done everything I’m supposed to do, and now I have to wait. I’m more patient than most would expect, and I sincerely do want to do what my doctors think is best. Time flies, so I’m going to enjoy the next few days, weeks and months. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing where my health is a year from now.

Until then…

Tracey
    August 19, 2016 at 5:08 pm

You have been on this journey for awhile, as have I, but in the grand scheme of things, you need to do what is best for you. No matter what other people’s experiences or opinions, you have to do what is best for you. This is a tool, just like any other. It is clear from reading your blog that you aren’t using it as an excuse, but as a tool to help you get to your goals. I wish you the best of luck!

August 24, 2016 at 11:02 pm

You’re right. I feel as prepared as a person can be, so I’m just taking it one day at a time right now.

Kristen
    August 19, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I think you’re awesome either way, whatever u choose!

August 24, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Thank you for being so encouraging, Kristen!

Vanessa
    August 19, 2016 at 8:56 pm

I agree with anyone telling you to do what’s best for you. Its not like you’ve been sitting on the couch eating junk for years. You have been actively trying and there comes a point when you need to try something else to move ahead. I wish you all the best!

August 24, 2016 at 11:03 pm

I have definitely eaten too much junk over the years, but I have also formed a few good habits. I just need to try something new, something more…

Debbie Lopresti
    August 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I wish you much luck and success with your surgery. You have put much thought and effort into your decision and you have the support of a good team of doctors. You have and will continue to be in my prayers.

August 24, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I really do have the best support system that a person could have, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

Betsy
    August 20, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I think this is wonderful for you. You have done the research and know this is no easy fix. I am very happy for you and I am actually going to research this

August 24, 2016 at 11:06 pm

It definitely doesn’t seem like an easy fix, but it does give me renewed hope that it’s possible to at least get closer to a healthy weight.

Lyndi
    August 21, 2016 at 10:18 am

I’ve considered the surgery twice. The second time I had all my boxes checked except for getting my blood sugar to the doctors required level. Then, for reasons I’m still not sure about, I decided not to do it and try again without the surgery. It’s been about a year. I’m stuck. I’m following you and cheering you on for success!

August 24, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Well, I definitely understand how hard it is to lose and how easy it is to get stuck, and I wish you the best in getting un-stuck. Thanks for cheering me on. You’re worth it too…

beckeh87
    August 22, 2016 at 8:29 am

I am so excited for you. I had my bypass almost a year ago and I have never looked back. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I’d be the size I am now (UK 14/16), I have not been this size since I was 13/14 years old. Yes it is hard work in the beginning but it is totally worth it. Wishing you the best of luck xx

August 24, 2016 at 11:08 pm