Skin Issues, Sleep Apnea Results and Moving Forward

I haven’t exercised in over three weeks until today. My skin irritation still isn’t 100% better, but I took prescriptions for 10 days, saw the doctor again and decided that I felt well enough to get back to normal.

Unfortunately, my skin issues aren’t going away unless I leave New Orleans and/or lose a significant amount of weight. It’s hard to lose weight when it hurts to move, but the wounds are improving. I’m not leaving New Orleans any time soon, so I’m striving to make use of the gym again. (It’s pretty convenient since my office is a 20 second walk to the gym and even in the same building.) This darn skin issue has just been winning lately – until today.

Kenlie YMCA

Several of you have left comments and sent messages regarding my  skin issues, and I appreciate the advice and encouragement. I haven’t really explained what’s causing the pain because it’s gross, but I’m going to explain it now. I have cellulitis, and there are a couple of small, very painful spots that are fighting not to become infected. They’re open, and there’s no way to keep them dry. It’s just not possible, and as a result I feel pain when I lift my right leg to walk, sit in the car, stand up, lie down, etc. It’s not fun, but it’s considerably better than it was a week ago.

This week my goal is to do cardio at least three times. That doesn’t seem like much, but if you saw my skin you’d be surprised that I’m doing that. Today I did some floor exercises and played around with weights (perks of working at the YMCA,) and I felt pretty good about it.

IMG_3013I decided I’d try to do a plank too even though that’s hard for me because I knew doing it would inspire me to work harder, and it did. If you want to watch me go from cool and relaxed to sweaty and a little cocky just watch me do a plank. I can’t do it for long, but it’s something that I’m going to start working to improve again.

Riding a bicycle is out for now, and I’m still a day or two away from dance cardio. I felt pretty good about strength exercises like planks, squats and weights.

I’m not sure when I’ll feel 100% again, but it definitely felt good to fumble around in the gym today. I was reminded that I’m stronger than I remembered, and I’m also capable of doing a lot more than I’ve been doing. (Yeah, it hurts. It legitimately hurts, and I needed to take some time to heal.) It also feels good to start fresh.

I had some encouraging news today as well. I do not have sleep apnea! I’m pretty sure my doctor’s office was surprised, but I was fairly confident that I was fine because I typically sleep well. It’s a relief to know that sleep apnea isn’t something I have to worry about because I had no plans to use a CPAP machine even if they told me I’d need one. Whew!

I’ll head back to the doctor in a few weeks to check in, and as overwhelming as it is to think about spending so much time being poked and prodded over the next several months, I’m thankful that I’m getting my health in order again. I’m even more thankful that, overall, I’m okay. My health could certainly be much worse, and I realize how lucky I still have time to make positive changes.

13901511_10210685765886939_6962036732669912970_n

Toni
    August 1, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Proud of you!!!!

August 1, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you, Toni! I love knowing that you’re reading my posts! I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers over the years! <3

Nicole from Ohio
    August 1, 2016 at 5:29 pm

You get it! I can’t even imagine trying to work out while dealing with the pain of cellulitis. I had it on my wrist and it was excruciating. I think I had to keep my wrist wrapped for a week even with antibiotics! I’ll be praying for you!

August 1, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I was hoping the antibiotics would make it 100% better, but it’s definitely improving. It’s no longer excruciating. 🙂 I’m glad yours is over too.

Stephanie
    August 1, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Glad to see you back at it. Cellulitis is no joke. My husband has had it several times, my mother had it once and my father almost died because of it. Helpful fact: Never take a steroid when you have cellulitis it accelerates the infection. I’ve learned so much about it from my family dealing with it. Thank God the doctors at Ochsner saved my dad’s life. I will keep you in my prayers.

August 1, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Um, yeah…so I was totally doing that…kind of. I was putting cortisone cream on it, which has a steroid in it. I was making it worse without realizing it until the doctor told me to stop.

Tammy
    August 1, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Kenlie – people read your blog and look up to you and relate to your journey. Please don’t laugh off wearing the CPAP mask. I totally get not wearing the CPAP, even if they said you needed one. That’s how I felt, too. Then, I read that women are more likely not to wear them. They not only correct the snoring and loss of sleep of sleep apnea, but also lower blood pressure, and help with heart function. I just thought you should know so that you can educate others and encourage them to wear the “ugly” CPAP mask, if it has been determined that it is necessary.

PS. I’m glad you don’t have sleep apnea.

August 1, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Tammy, I adore you, and your comments are definitely valid. People who need to wear a CPAP should ABSOLUTELY do it.

I didn’t call it ugly, and that’s not the reason I wouldn’t have used one. My reasons are 1. I remember how dry my ex-boyfriend was every morning due to the CPAP, and 2. I sleep well and wake up feeling rested daily.

As you may recall I said I was pretty sure they’d say I had it whether I did or not, and if they had said it I likely wouldn’t have believed them because I don’t snore, sleep well and wake up feeling rested.

I didn’t laugh it off, nor did I describe it at all. I think those thoughts came from somewhere else because they didn’t come from me. <3