Reflection

Gastric Sleeve Update: Two Weeks Prior To Surgery

Last night I dreamed about having weight-loss surgery, more specifically, I dreamed about the recovery stage. I woke up immediately remembering that it’s going to be a reality soon, then I quickly wondered what level of pain or discomfort I’ll feel when I return home.

I woke up earlier than I needed to this morning, but I laid in bed for nearly an hour contemplating the future, as in, the rest of this month. I’ve already begun praying for God’s strength because it only seems doable by His grace, and when I got up I started making little plans to make it as palatable as possible.

I started by measuring out a week (or more) of the protein powder that I’ll be drinking prior to surgery. I’ll be drinking the same stuff after the clear liquids phase, post surgery, but right now I’m more concerned with everything leading up to the surgery date. (One step at a time, you know?)

Two weeks prior to surgery I will have to drink protein shakes and clear liquids. Two weeks seems intense, but I also know I can do it. I’ll just deal with the hunger and/or frustration if it occurs. I’m not going to assume anything right now because I just don’t know.

The goal at the liquids stage will be to drink 3-4 protein shakes per day, and clear liquids. (More on the latter in a moment.)

Teras Whey

Each container contains two scoops of my favorite protein powder, Tera’s Whey. This stuff is magnificent! I drink it everyday, and I’m not tired of it yet. I’m just going to assume that I can make it through two weeks of only these drinks and clear liquids without despising them by the end. The kicker here is that I’ll be drinking them with water instead of  unsweetened almond milk. They taste okay with water, but the almost milk makes them almost decadent.

I’m also allowed to have clear liquids. The list, which is short, includes:

• Thin broths or bouillon and bases (no veggies or meat chunks)
  • Sugar-free Jello
  • Sugar-free “diet” juice, fitness waters, Crystal Light, Powerade Zero (They were very adamant that I should stay away from Gatorade.)
  • Sugar-free popsicles (When I saw these at the grocery store last week they looked much more appealing than I thought they would.)
  • Decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal or flavored sugar-free tea, hot or cold (One cup of regular coffee per day is allowed after Week 5, post-op.)
  • Artificial sweeteners (Splenda, Stevia or Equal)

Almost everything on the list above seems like a chemical storm to me, but I’m following their rules throughout this process. I can definitely appreciate the herbal tea, and I think I’ll allow myself to eat the Jello and popsicles, etc.

The day before surgery I’ll have only clear liquids. I’m thinking that I’ll lose a significant amount of weight prior to surgery just from doing this two-week thing.

As intimidating as this feels in certain moments I’m ready to get started. It’s not quite time yet, and in some ways, I think it’s harder to wait than to just do it.

I’ve decided to give myself a reward when I complete the liquids phase before and after surgery.   I’ve never been a fan of rewarding myself with food (thankfully, since I won’t be able to.) I do enjoy rewarding myself though, so I’m going to buy this laptop backpack by The North Face when I reach my first goal. It will be useful everyday, but I’m looking forward to using it on our trip to Colorado for Christmas.My boyfriend and I are also talking about heading to Costa Rica to in January.

I’m guessing the two weeks prior will be the hardest part, but what do I know? I do know that many people were able to do this, and I believe I will too.

Now I’m going to do my best to stop thinking about the days ahead, and I’m going to enjoy this stormy Monday with friends.

Kristen
    September 5, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Kenlie,
    When are you having the surgery?
    Costa Rica, fun!

September 5, 2016 at 12:44 pm

I should have a specific date later this week.

Yes, Costa Rica should be fun!

Rashell
    September 5, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Praying for you! I’m happy for you!

September 5, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Thank you, my friend!

Heidi
    September 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

So excited for you!! I have my 6 month Surgiversary this Tuesday!! Best decision EVER!! I’m down 84 lbs this year alone, 58 since Surgery in March. I’ve had ZERO complications. Like i’ve said before, please reach out to me if you have any questions at all. My email is crazycricketlove@aol.com . You will do great!!!

September 5, 2016 at 12:45 pm

That’s fantastic, Heidi! What did you do to lose the weight prior to surgery?

HEIDI
        September 6, 2016 at 12:45 am

My program is a little different than yours. I had to lose 18 lbs prior to moving to the next step. I followed kaisers 1200 calorie plan until it came off. In my program, we didnt do a two week liquid diet prior to surgery. We just did a two day liquid diet before surgery (i lost 6 lbs right there). All programs are a little different.

Renee
    September 5, 2016 at 12:44 pm

it’s temporary, Kenlie. You can do it for two weeks. It’s the start to the bigger adjustment. you are going to make it! just remember, even if you get sick of “the list” that it’s a means to an end. Love you, girl!!

September 5, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Yes, I’ll remember, my friend! Love you right back!

Melissa
    September 5, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I had gastric sleeve surgery March 2013. I lost 90lbs and then had 2 babies so now I’m working on losing what I’ve gained back. It was difficult in the beginning but the best choice I ever made. Your emotions might be jacked in the beginning so prepare yourself for that. Good luck!

September 5, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Yeah, I’m depending on Jesus for that…definitely.

Erika
    September 5, 2016 at 3:17 pm

There is a family on YouTube (carlandjinger) that I watch and he just had it done. He filmed the procedure and is doing really great recovering. If you’re interested in watching any of it. I believe you will do just fine. I have been a silent follower for awhile and have seen you come such a long way in the last couple of years. God bless

Toni Martin
    September 5, 2016 at 5:04 pm

covering you in prayer, sweet girl!!!!! in our weakness HE IS STRONG!!!! i have put your surgery on my prayer lamp on my desk and will fill in the date when you get it! love your attitude!! one day….sometimes one minute at a time!!!! and wondering if you can freeze your shakes to make “ice cream” for another texture?????

Brenda
    September 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm

I am sending you positive thoughts and healing prayers for a successful surgery. You can always add some crystal light to your shakes for a different flavor. Lemonade in a vanilla shake is VERY GOOD!

beckeh87
    September 6, 2016 at 6:16 am

It’s my one years opiversary this Thursday and I have lost a total of 156lbs so far. Here in the UK the pre and post surgery diet is slightly different but I lost a total 20lbs during my 3 week post op diet. The first few days were fine but day 5 I had an awful headache but I persevered and by the following morning I was fine. You just have to think that it is just a phase you need to do and think of what you will achieve with the surgery.

Amanda
    September 6, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I don’t mind protein shakes with water so much when I blend them with some ice cubes – I like the thicker texture.