No More Chewing Food…For Now…

Today is the last day that I’m going to chew food for a while. My two-week liver-shrinking, liquid diet begins tonight, and I’m ready to get started. I’m sure it’s going to be challenging, but it’s time to do it.

liver-shrinking-dietI haven’t met or heard from anyone who had to do liquids for two weeks prior to surgery, but I’m following the instructions of my surgeon.

I’ll have 3 or 4 protein shakes a day, and as much chicken broth as I want. I can also have things like Powerade Zero and sugar-free popsicles, jello, etc. I wouldn’t usually ingest sugar-free anything, but I’m doing it right now because I’m committed to following the rules in this.

After surgery I’ll continue consuming liquids until Week 5, at which point I’ll be able to eat oatmeal, half of a banana or a few bites of a sweet potato. I’d like to think that by that time, even though I may be tired of not eating and/or thinking of not eating, that my weight-loss will motivate me to continue.

It’s going to be a big adjustment. I expect it to be challenging, but I also expect Jesus to give me enough strength to handle it day by day.

I’m not going to pretend here…I’m nervous. I’m not scared to have surgery, but I know that my relationship with food is about to change. I’m also a little afraid that I’ll be starving or irritable or both during the two weeks prior to surgery.

My final surgery clearance is scheduled for tomorrow, and I’m ready for that to be over too. I’m tired of thinking about it, but I’m also tired of being a slave to food.

Everything is in place, so that I don’t need to feel stress. My plan to is to be off work for two weeks, but if I need to be off longer that’ll be okay too.  I couldn’t be more thankful for that!

I’m just ready to get through this big, challenging thing, and I can’t wait for the day that I look back and say that it was totally worth it.

18 thoughts on “No More Chewing Food…For Now…

1. Brenda

You got this girl! My gf had the surgery and had to do a one week liver shrinking diet. Grit through the first 3 days. They will be the most difficult. After about day 4 your body will be in a state of Ketosis and you will not feel hungry. After about day 6 it will be a walk in the park. I am guessing you will lose about 20 lbs during these two weeks! I know you will stay hydrated. If you don’t already have a few lounge dresses to wear around the house order some today. You will not want to wear pants right after surgery. Positive thoughts and healing prayers headed your way.

2. Tammy

My coworker who had the surgery a couple of years ago wanted me to share this website with you: http://www.bariatriceating.com/. She said that the shakes are good, and the vitamins are good. She can even take the iron without it upsetting her stomach. There is an area for help on the website, and they have a Facebook group.

3. Patricia Lange-Fischer

I did a 13 week liquid protein diet and loved no decisions to make beyond what to drink… You got this girl!

4. Tammy Matlock

I had to do a liquid diet two weeks prior to my lapband for the same reason. You have gotten some great information here. The first few days were the roughest. Then it was nothing. It was more a mental than physical struggle for me. <3 U and I am very proud of you!

5. Toni Martin

sweet kinlie! Jesus has you!!!!!! minute by minute, He is your VICTOR! let’s have a “ceremony” and tell your old relationship with food “goodbye”….there were some good times and good tastes, but dragging the “ball and chain” of a relationship that weighed you down has been exposed ! now you are ready to step into heretofore uncharted territories and while it is true that the flesh clings to the known regardless of the pain because it is more comfortable than stepping out in the flesh, now is the time to step with your spiritual muscle!!!! “For God has not given you a spirit of fear, but of POWER and LOVE and SELF CONTROL!!!! (and some versions translate #3 as a SOUND MIND!!!!!) so proud of you!!!!! and wondering if a frozen protein shake is allowed for the “chewing sensation” ???? or maybe not chewing breaks a deeper pattern that i’m unaware of……..

6. Tammy C

I had to do 2 weeks prior. It’s a great help for the 3-4 weeks after when you’ll have no desire! You got this! Along with the help of Jesus! Keep in mind your taste will definitely change afterwards as well. I am 10 months post-op and this is the 1st fall of my adult life I don’t like pumpkin spice anything! Haha. NOT that you’ll dislike pumpkin spice BUT I’m sure something you love now will no longer be desired. It’s all part of the process and I don’t miss those things anyway. Good luck and God bless!

7. Andy

You will look great and feel even better a year from now! This is a sincere question: do you really believe that your God, who made you in his perfection, intended for the first world country to be filled with highly processed foods and fake pumpkin spice flavors so much so that MAN has to alter His creation in an effort to better one’s health?

1. Kenlie Post author

Thanks for the sincere question, Andy. Do I think that God intended that? No…I believe He knew it would happen, but I also believe (based on my believe that the Bible is true) that He gave us a choice in everything. So…do I think it was His plan for me to like PSL’s, to be obese, etc. Absolutely not. I believe that He created me on purpose for His purpose, which is to share His love with everyone around me. Earth sucks, people suck, but God doesn’t. I just believe that I would have (and still would) save myself a lot of grief/turmoil if I put my trust in Him. My point of view leads me to believe that our lives on earth are only a speck on our journey through eternity. Just my two cents since you asked.

8. Lea Goossen

Oh man. I went through similar with my pre-op. The good news is that the post-op liquid is SO MUCH EASIER!!! I thought several times during the pre-op liver shrinking diet….if i could eat like this, i wouldn’t need to lose weight! I’m miserable, I’m starving! That time is nothing but a memory now, I’m so glad I did it.
    For me, it was all so very worth it. I’m in my 15th month and have lost 190 pounds…and gained more than I can say. So so many victories not related to scale.
    I can’t wait to cheer you on during your journey (via your blog posts)! Best wishes!

1. Kenlie Post author

I’m hungry, but I’m not miserable. It was tough to be surrounded by hot, cheesy pizza tonight, but I decided I’d just refrain from putting myself in that position for a while. It’s only been a few days, so there’s still time adjust. I’m glad to hear that it’s all worth it. That’s very encouraging.