I Don’t Want Everything To Change

I’ve been extremely open about the fact that I’m having weight-loss surgery this week, and the majority of people have been encouraging.

I keep hearing that my entire life is about to change, and people say that with such hope. That statement, which always comes from well-meaning people, is so discouraging to me.

I don’t want my entire life to change. I want to get my weight and habits under control, but I’m already genuinely happy with my life. I’ve had to work through a lot of things to get to this point, and I just want everyday things to be easier.

My relationships with God and among friends and family are stronger than ever, and I have the love of a man who has walked in my shoes. He’s the one I’ve been waiting for, and I honestly feel like I couldn’t ask for more.

I have a job that allows me to share joy with people everyday. I get to offer hope to people when they need it, and they encourage me as much as I encourage them.

Mom’s health has improved significantly since she had strokes in April, and Dad seems pretty healthy too.

My home is cozy and comfortable, my church family is awesome, and all of these things make this season of life a beautiful one.

I feel more loved, fulfilled and valued than ever could have imagined, and I don’t want any of this to change. I just want my body to shrink. I want to move more easily throughout the airport as I fly to Colorado with Mom and Michael at Christmas, and I want to enjoy certain activities that are currently prohibited due to my size.

I believe that change is a good thing. I never want to stop evolving, so when I hear someone tell me that it’s all about to change I try to remember how much has changed already. So many things had to fall into place before major surgery/weight-loss became an option.

Good grief! I’m tired of focusing on the topics surrounding my body, and I’ve taken time to serve in areas that allow me to focus on other things. I just can’t escape these thoughts right now. I’m so excited, nervous, happy, anxious, ready, curious, etc.

I’m just ready.

Tammy
    September 26, 2016 at 8:11 am

It changed my life in the sense that all those things that were wonderful in my life became even better. Because I am healthier, I am happier and the focus I used to have on meals and food has been redirected more so than I imagined and I enjoy everyone and everything more than I ever thought I could. 🙂

September 26, 2016 at 12:33 pm

This is SO ENCOURAGING to read. Thank you, Tammy!!!

Vanessa Elizabeth
    September 26, 2016 at 10:25 am

It sounds like you’re now looking at the non-food related things that bring you joy in life. That’s great! Your life will change because you will get to be healthier, live longer, and get to enjoy these wonderful things for longer. I think your life will change because it won’t be fixated on food or your health all the time!

September 26, 2016 at 12:34 pm

Those are great points, Vanessa. You’re right. It will be so cool to live outside of the the shadow of my weight. That change will be awesome!

Kim
    September 27, 2016 at 5:42 am

I’ve never commented on your blog before, but I’ve been reading it for about a year now. I think I found it when I was looking for weight loss inspiration (I’m in the process of losing about 90lbs). But I just realised I mainly read your posts now because I love your attitude to life, it’s just so uplifting somehow. Just wanted you to know that a random Aussie is rooting for you 🙂

Liz
    September 27, 2016 at 3:49 pm

You should check out timetodeflate.tumblr.com (she also runs a website timetodeflate.com) … its a blog I follow all about WLS and VSG and the experiences before and after! It is a great resource of someone’s experience who has been thru this!

Laurie
    October 2, 2016 at 5:18 pm

I love that your expectations and desires are completely in line with reality. Problems don’t go away when we lose weight, we both know that is true. It’s so great to see you love your life! This is just making one aspect of it easier to keep living the life you love.

Jill Boehrs
    October 4, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Love this post! I also have been following you for a long time and have never commented. I’ve had many things that I’ve wanted to say and couldn’t get past my own issues in life. Anyway, so happy to hear that you’re in such a good place. I’ve contemplated weight loss surgery and have NOT wanted to do it that way, but I have been unsuccessful with sticking with what I need to do to make permanent changes. So it will be interesting to follow your experience. You are so good at writing and sharing your thoughts and life experiences. God bless you, Kenlie!