Healing After Weight-Loss Surgery

Whoever says that weight-loss surgery is the easy way out has never had to heal after weight-loss surgery.

I used to think I’d feel like a failure if I did this, but in reality I’m proud of myself for keeping a positive attitude during surgery and recovery. This stuff is hard, but I’m looking forward to seeing the results of my efforts.

I’ve been surprised by the outpouring of prayers and encouragement I’ve received from people online and in my everyday life. I know I’ve already said it, but no one could ever ask for a better support group than what I have.

Mom is still here, and I’m thankful because I need her. She’s great at encouraging me to walk, rest and sip. I don’t know how I’d get through this without her. She has been so patient and helpful, and she’ll be that way as long as she needs to be.

Michael has been great too. He makes sure that Mom and I have everything we need and reminds me that the more I move around the quicker I’ll heal. (I don’t particularly like that part, but I know he’s right.) It’s such a weird feeling to sit right next to the guy I’m in love with without wanting to curl up next to him. There’s just too much discomfort for that right now.

Unfortunately, that also means that I’m skipping church tomorrow. My church community is filled with awesome people, and on an average Sunday I get loads of hugs from kids and adults. I can’t handle that yet, and if someone tried to hug me right now I’d probably cry. I know that sounds dramatic, but it’s true.

I slept better last night than I did my first night home, but it was still rough. I woke up around 4 am, then I went back to sleep and awakened for the day at 8:20 am.

As I write this I’m sitting in my bed, hoping that I’ll be comfortable enough to take a nap in a few minutes.

I wish I could say that I feel awesome, but I’m not quite there yet. Right now my pain level is at 5 or 6, but I’m looking forward to improving each day.

Until then…

Dawn Rambles
    October 1, 2016 at 1:14 pm

It’s great that you have help and support through your recovery. Keeping pushing and you will be up and back to normal in no time.

October 2, 2016 at 1:56 pm

It feels like forever, but I know you’re right. I just need to keep reminding myself.

Barb
    October 1, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Many prayers for you . . . you can do this!

Debbie Lopresti
    October 1, 2016 at 3:53 pm

You can do this Kenlie!!!! Thank God for all of your loving support.

Mike
    October 1, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hey Kenlie, sorry I’m so late in finding out about your weight loss surgery. I feel so bad… I’ve been so swamped with work and other family matters, I haven’t been on your blog much lately.
    I keep you in my prayers always in any case, but now that I know about this latest challenge in your life, I will pray about this as well. I will pray for a quick healing for you.

Stay strong Kenlie. You can make it!

Mike
    October 1, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I’ve been going through some of your recent posts about your weight loss surgery and what you had to do before it took place and I want to say that you’re one of the strongest, bravest people that I know Kenlie. You went through so much and you didn’t give up. That took quite a lot of courage. I am always so inspired by your courage and commitment when you set out to do something, whether it’s for yourself or for others, you never back down. You have so much strength. I highly respect you in all of your efforts.

Again, I’m sorry that I haven’t been here to support you during the time of your surgery. But I hope that you still knew that I was praying for you, as I do for all of my friends in my circle. It’s a daily practice of mine.
    God was still watching over you always. πŸ™‚

Keeping you in my prayers always.

Stephanie
    October 3, 2016 at 11:41 am

Glad you’re doing good. Thanks for the update. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing.

Jenny Thornton
    October 4, 2016 at 11:05 am

Many continued prayers for you ……