Healthy Living Lifestyle Obesity Perspective Reflection weight loss

Less Than Two Weeks After Weight-Loss Surgery

It’s been almost two weeks since I had surgery. I wish I could say that I feel better, but I don’t. I actually feel pretty terrible. I’ve made some great strides in terms of healing. I don’t feel pain or bloating anymore, which is awesome. I’ve dropped about 40 pounds, which is also awesome. I’m just miserable too.

Saturday I spent the day in the emergency room because I was dehydrated. My dear friend, Brandon, came down from New York to visit me. He brought me tea from Starbucks (and gift cards to use when I can tolerate it better later.) He spent time inside with me, but on Saturday we ventured out for a walk.

brandon-and-kenlieMy energy level is at zero. I’m not in much pain at all, but I’m exhausted. Just taking the elevator and walking the length of the lobby to him made me tired and shaky. He knew we’d go slow, and we did. After stopping several times on one block (the length of my building) I told him I could go another block. I was wrong. 

We stopped so I could lean against a wall, and he snapped a selfie of us. He immediately noticed that I was leaning into him, cold and sweaty and started walking back toward my building.

When we accessed the back entrance I immediately sat down. I felt dizzy and sweaty even though I also felt cold. I think I passed out because the next thing I remember was Brandon saying, “Kenlie, wake up. Look at me. Focus on your breathing. Keep your eyes open.” It felt like this phase lasted for an eternity, but they said it was about 20 minutes.

At that point Brandon called Michael, who was upstairs doing my laundry, and he came down. They quickly made the decision to call an ambulance, and Michael went into first-responder mode. (He’s an Eagle Scout, and he used to work as a first-responder, which I was thankful for yesterday.) Bran continued to get me to look at him, and all I can remember is looking at his chin and trying desperately to open my eyes.

The ambulance arrived in less than two minutes – one of the perks of living in the center of downtown, and it only took about two more minutes to reach the hospital once they hooked me up to fluids and checked my vitals.

I spent the next several hours at the emergency room, where I was greeted by a friendly anddehydrated empathetic doctor. When I told him what was happening he said he’d be miserable and much crankier than I  if he had only had 60 calories so far too.

They ran several tests and gave me two liters of fluid. The second bag even had a few added calories, and I was relieved that I’d be hydrated again soon. (Seriously, can’t I just lie around with an IV for the next few weeks?)

After several hours they released me and told me to see my primary at some point early in the week.

I know I’ve said it already, but this is the hardest thing I’ve ever done…ever. I’m exhausted all the time, but I’m finally able to sleep in bed. I couldn’t do that a week ago. I haven’t eaten anything since September 15th, which was almost a month ago. I don’t know anyone who had to do liquids that long prior to surgery, and I’m still a few weeks away from eating semi-solid foods like eggs and mozzarella sticks. (That’s a day I’m looking forward to.)

In a few days I can start consuming pre-made protein shakes, which should help because the powder one I usually love is currently the most appalling and disgusting thing on the planet. I seriously have more disdain for the protein shakes than I do for the current presidential candidates!

I can also start “eating” Greek yogurt in a few days, and I hope my body can tolerate it because I’d like to take advantage of the fact that we finally have a Trader Joe’s in town.

My mom has been my champion, and my boyfriend has been amazing too. Their love for me is so evident, and I’m thankful (even though I’m also cranky.) Dad is coming down to visit later this month, and I hope and pray that I’m doing better by then.

Right now I’m struggling. I can’t believe I did this to myself. I knew it would be hard, but I didn’t know it would be this hard. If I had known I wouldn’t have done it. I’m not kidding.

People who have experienced this surgery say that I’ll look back at some point and think it was worth it. I hope that’s true. I’m pretty sure I know it’s true, but it doesn’t feel that way right now.

I live my life by choosing to look at the positive, but right now it’s hard to see. I hope I see the bright side soon because I can’t be bothered being sad for long.

Related Posts


  • Reply
    October 10, 2016 at 1:49 am

    It gets better. I promise.

  • Reply
    Lorie Morgen
    October 10, 2016 at 9:02 pm

    Kenlie, it took me 5 months before I was happy I did it, I know it’s easier said than done, try to keep your chin up 🙂

  • Reply
    October 10, 2016 at 10:05 pm

    once you make it over the hump , you’ll be unstoppable!

  • Reply
    October 10, 2016 at 11:56 pm

    What a scary thing you, Brandon, & Michael experienced. I’m glad you are surrounded by such amazing caregivers.
    I’m sorry to hear you don’t have any energy etc. Ug. I’m sure it is difficult for you since you are normally a very social, active girl.
    I’m glad you’re blogging about your experience so honestly. It may be interesting to you to reread down the road. I’m hopeful that very soon 2 weeks time will look like a small blip on the screen when you are marveling at your stamina & have energy for days!
    I’m picturing you turning around and
    telling Brandon to TRY to keep up with you!
    But for now, an hour at a time, dear. XOXO

  • Reply
    October 11, 2016 at 8:01 am

    So sorry to read you’re having such a hard time. My friend had the surgery, felt the same way for a while, but now is so happy that she did it…..and she looks wonderful now. I know it takes time, so just keep positive thoughts. You can do this!!

  • Reply
    October 11, 2016 at 1:24 pm

    it WILL get better! My plan was WAY different than yours as I was only on a liquid diet 1 day pre op and 2 days post op. After that I could have yogurt and soft stuff. I think once you can eat again, you will start to feel better. I am so sorry that you are having a rough time! Everyone has different recovery periods. It will get better though, i promise.

  • Reply
    October 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm

    Sorry to hear you are feeling so uncomfortable and tired. I do hope you start to feel better soon.

  • Reply
    October 14, 2016 at 8:16 pm

    I know you’ve written a subsequent blog, but I want to tell you how much I admire your spunk and courage. I was feeling so badly for you as I read this, but when I got to the end, I broke out in a big smile when I read, “…I can’t be bothered being sad for long.” I want to remember this sentiment for the next time I’m sad, mad, or otherwise bothered! Love your attitude!

  • Reply
    October 16, 2016 at 11:01 pm

    I wanna try it but I’m really scared.

  • Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: