My Arms Won’t Get Smaller Just Because I Cover Them Up

Last week I talked about my body image on social media because someone recently criticized the size of my arms as if I didn’t know how big they are. I know, and I’m okay with it.

I’ve lost about 100 pounds over the last several months, but even if I had not lost a pound I’m still just as capable and deserving of wearing sleeveless clothes whenever I want to. My arms don’t make me the person that I am, but they’re part of me. And I’m okay with that.

I avoided mirrors, refused to wear a top unless it covered my arms…but those days are long gone. Sure, there are things I’d like to change about myself, but I love myself. I accept myself, and there’s peace that comes with that.

Now I rent dresses from GwynnieBee, which has helped me branch out in my style even though my size is changing. Sometimes I feel adorable without a cardigan, and sometimes I even feel elegant.

I may not be pretty or perfect enough in the eyes of everyone, but my God adores everything about me. My future husband thinks I’m pretty wonderful too. That’s enough for me, and if it’s not enough for everyone else that’s okay too.

Maryfran Clingan
    May 16, 2017 at 10:02 am

What a wonderful post!!! Pride and acceptance of our bodies, no matter the size and shape is so important!!!!

Dawn DiBartolo
    May 16, 2017 at 10:04 am

Good for you! no time for the haters.. πŸ™‚

LJB
    May 16, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Kenlie, you – AND your arms- are beautiful

sunny
    May 16, 2017 at 5:17 pm

You’re perfect just as you are! As I read your post, I thought of a friend who loves to go sleeveless…. When I see her and she’s wearing something sleeveless, I’ve never once wanted to keep away from her because there’s no cloth on her arms! πŸ™‚ I don’t even think about her arms. She’s just my great friend!

I have yet to have the courage to go sleeveless, but it’s funny. When I am at the Y going to the pool area from the locker room, I’m in a swimsuit..and not once do I think about my arms! My attention is diverted elsewhere on my body which is revealed in the swimsuit. πŸ™‚ So my arms must not be the problem if I forget about them instantly. I know for me it’s a mental block to overcome…one day I’ll go sleeveless in public! (at home? the second I get home I don’t like wearing lots of fabric – so it’s shorts and a tank top and my hair goes up in a ponytail…. not self conscious at home at all).

How’s that for some long rambling thoughts that accomplished nothing. I admire people who do go sleeveless. Maybe one day I will too!! Thanks for being my role model for showing arms!

wayne tiggeman
    May 17, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I know as well as anyone, how far you have come. The one that judges a book by it’s cover, will never know how that book might have changed his or her life, for the better.

Ann
    May 17, 2017 at 10:19 pm

You look adorable in that dress!! If it doesn’t bother you to be sleeveless, that’s all the matters, it’s no one else’s concern.

Barb
    May 18, 2017 at 6:56 pm

You look so beautiful and happy!!