Did You Go To Graduate School? Would You Do It Again?

There’s a lot of studying going on in my life right now. In addition to my new gig as a contractor for a local government entity, I’m back in school to finish up two degrees after taking a year off, and I’m taking part in three Bible studies right now as well. It’s the end of a long day. I just finished writing a paper that was several pages long, and I loved it. There’s a lot to process, write, read, and create but this is my happy place.

I enjoy learning, so when a recruiter from LSU came to talk to my class about going to graduate school, the wheels started turning. In less than a year I’ll be finished at Tulane. Sure, it took me longer than the average student, but I’m also a no-traditional student who had a variety of other irons in the fire while attending classes. It’s my schedule and my time, and I like to fill it with information and ideas that enrich my life.

I’m not sure  if I’m going to pursue it yet or not, but the likelihood is great. I’m going to a meeting at the school in November. At that time I’ll take the tour, and I’ll start looking into the GRE soon too. If I do it, I’ll shoot for Fall of 2018, so while that seems like a long way off, time flies.

I’m not ready to talk about exactly what I want to do yet, but if you attended graduate school I’d love to hear about it.

Did you take the GRE?

Are you glad you did it?

Did you find that the coursework was more interesting/challenging than your undergrad?

What made you decide to go for it?

Sarah Atkinson
    October 4, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I took both the GRE and LSAT (planned on going to grad school for psych and ended up going to law school). My husband also attended grad school (GMAT; MBA program). Given the advantages we had in a competitive work environment, I think we would both strongly recommend a graduate degree program. The coursework was definitely more interesting for both of us; it was also definitely more rewarding while also being more challenging. It takes dedication, but I think it is totally worth it.

Erin
    October 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm

The only reasons to go to grad school … if it is necessary (as in you won’t be hired unless you do) OR you will make significantly more money over the course of your career. IMHO it’s a waste of time and money to go to grad school for any other reason. IOW, it depends on what you want to do with your degree. 🙂

Emma
    October 6, 2017 at 2:55 am

Yes, I went to graduate graduate school (I started grad school in 1976, and received a PhD in 1982 in a STEM field) and my graduate school education has been the foundation for the work I have done and loved doing every day, and for many features of my life, since then.

I took both the MCAT and GRE, and applied to and was accepted by both med schools and grad schools, and I eventually decided to become a scientist rather than a physician, because I knew that ” somebody else” would take “my place” at med school and become a doctor if I didn’t, but I believed that none of those people could become a research scientist working to advance our understanding of the chemistry of life and disease treatment, and loving to do such research, and doing it as well and as happily, as I could. And I think I made the right choice.

I used some practice workbooks and tests to prepare for both the MCAT and GRE (different texts for each test). Those workbooks and practice tests helped me to do well on the tests. I recommend doing such prep work if you decide to take the GRE.

Best wishes!

Nan
    October 6, 2017 at 6:11 am

I took the GRE right after college which was the recommendation at the time. I’ve taken graduate courses here and there but since I was a SAHM for many years, no need for a masters. I love learning though and wish I was fluent in Spanish. I guess at your age, I’d ask myself if it was worth the expense and time- if $$ is no problem, that’s a different scenario. My 3 kids all have graduate degrees- in fact, my son has 2 but he’s a nurse anesthetist. I paid for undergrad but not graduate school for all 3.

Brandy E.
    October 9, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I went to grad school for an a MPA, but hated it. I actually found the course work less challenging than my undergrad and ultimately decided it wasn’t worth my time. In my case the GRE was not required. I may go back and pursue a different program when my son goes to college next fall.

Beth Sher
    October 13, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I went to grad school in Washington DC and had a great awesome experience and met my husband on the first day of class! That being said life took a different direction for me. While I was very career driven during school and for about 8 years afterwards, once I had my son I decided I really wanted to be a stay-at-home Mom and luckily financially we were able to make that happen. Now that my baby is in high school I recently about 2 years ago went back to work full time but certainly not in my field and not using my degree. I basically took 14 years off. Sometimes I feel like I regret the decision to be honest because who knows where we would be financially and career-wise, but I wouldn’t trade the time I had with my son when he was little for anything. So – to answer your question – I don’t regret going to grad school because it changed my life 100% since I met my soul mate! Good luck figuring it out. For my program it was a communications program and I did not need the GRE