Living for Likes

I’ve been blogging here for almost a decade, and lately, I find myself desiring to say less. I go through phases in which I post everything and phases in which I post very little. I’m less active on social media than I have been in the last several years too, and while I enjoy many aspects of it, I also enjoy my day-to-day life with my family and friends.

It seems that I care less about the number of likes or comments I get on Facebook and/or Instagram than I used to. I still enjoy connecting with the friends I made through those mediums, but I’m learning that it’s okay to talk less. When we live for likes, we die by the absence of them, and I never want to give something so silly so much control over my life.

I used to define myself by the way strangers on the internet saw me or thought of me or by the stupid things I did in my past, but living differently (and caring less about how strangers view me – good and bad) over the last several years has been such a relief.

My life is more peaceful now than it’s ever been. My environment isn’t filled with noise, and my thoughts are quiet and more rested than when I lived under constant stress and empty approval.

I still love to write, but it’s freeing to be able to write about things that I’m passionate about without wondering if anyone will read about them or agree or disagree.

Does anyone else feel like they’ve given too much authority to social media likes? If so, did you change that, or could you?

thursdayswithtoni
    November 28, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Sweet Kinlie! How i hear your heart! The longer I am exposed to social media, I have become increasingly aware of it’s invisible tendrils that make you think you are in community…what a strange phenomenon….What a joy to hear of you walking in your True Identity and choosing to write when you feel led, regardless. I pray that your Christmas season is filled with an abundant harvest of fruit. May you bask in the glow of the Christ Child!

thursdayswithtoni
    November 28, 2017 at 2:45 pm

oops! sorry for the typo on your name!!!!

LJB
    November 28, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I love reading where you are here and I applaud you. It was bad enough looking toward others for (self) approval and identity before social media – I can’t imagine it, being near 74. Live your real life, love God, yourself, your husband, family and friends, and you will live a good life!

Beth
    November 28, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Kenlie, I have read you for many years now and it has been a pleasure to see you grow as a person, a woman and a child of our God.

You have faced so many difficulties but yet you never fell completely into the trap of letting them define you, no matter what was happening or being said to you. That’s takes determination and a strong faith in oneself even when you didn’t know it in your Savior.

Now I am not a preachy type so I will stop there. Just live your life as you see fit you know what to do!

Luv your page but can live with less if you need less of it!
    Beth

Chrissy
    November 29, 2017 at 12:31 am

I get it. Today I realized I hadn’t checked in on anyone on social media for a bit, and had the thought that that is as it should be—-too busy living my life to check in.
    I certainly do spend time online, but it’s good to be too busy to do so some days. And you’re married now! (That makes me so happy.) So that is a priority, and provides companionship.
    It was nice to hear from you though. And I’m glad you’re busy with life and friends. xo

disneypal
    November 29, 2017 at 9:16 am

Luckily, I have never been one to really care about “likes”. I have a blog but it is for me. I write what I want and how often. I like knowing that others have read it or enjoy it but if they don’t that is okay too. Like you, I find myself spending less time on social media as well. I am glad your life is peaceful and content. Continue to do what makes you happy – life is short and you should enjoy it.

16blessingsmom
    December 1, 2017 at 6:47 pm

I write a blog too, and I have to just pretend no one reads it so I can write what is true to me, and not what would please or offend someone. I write because it’s therapeutic, and also I feel very blessed, and if anything in my life can be a help to anyone, then that’s really good too. 🙂
    Della