Health Lifestyle Reflection

Flu Shot: Yes or No?

I got a flu shot today when I went to pick up photos at Walgreens, and I got one last year too when I found myself at a drug store with my mom. She gets one every year, and I guess I get one every year now too.

I’m not convinced that getting a flu shot is beneficial, but I interact with faculty, students, and a lot of other people on a regular basis. I suppose it can’t hurt to take precautions.

Do you get a flu shot? Why or why not?

farmgurl72Jodi
    October 24, 2018 at 7:25 am

I don’t get one because my doctor told me that they aren’t necessary. He said that the shotmyou get this year is last years strain of the flu and it ‘might’ help you this year and because I don’t work with people who are high risk for illness (babies and the elderly) he said it was better to get sick naturally to build my immune system. As a side note, I have not had the flu or a cold for years… like over a decade or more.

October 31, 2018 at 2:01 pm

I typically don’t get the flu either. I didn’t even consider getting it until I began working with so many people. I don’t know if it makes a difference or not.

Lynne
    October 24, 2018 at 8:21 am

I get one every year, mostly to protect people close to me (two of my kids) who have asthma. For them the flu can lead to major complications.

Andria
      October 24, 2018 at 10:40 am

+1 same I don’t want the flu, and I certainly don’t want to give the flu to someone for whom it could be life-threatening. Vaccines are about herd immunity much more than the individual, and I’m happy to do my part.

October 31, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Interesting take. Thanks for sharing.

Ann
    October 24, 2018 at 10:25 am

I get one every year because I have a decreased immunity due to a drug I take for psoriasis. If I did not, I worry I would have the flu all winter. Knock on wood…I never get it!

October 31, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I definitely hope you don’t get it!

marthabilski
    October 24, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Yup. I get one. I have grandkids who are exposed to many other kids and who knows what. I am asthmatic and if I get sick it could be fatal. I also get the pnumonia shot and this year they gave me one that is supposed to last a lifetime. It had a kick to it, but I am fine and hope that everyone stays healthy!

October 31, 2018 at 2:02 pm

I’ve never had a pneumonia shot, but my mom had one recently.

Kim Smarsh
    October 24, 2018 at 2:36 pm

I get a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot every five years. I got the shingles shot a couple of years ago. I have multiple autoimmune disorders which could make the flu deadly for me. I don’t want to miss work or have to spend time in the hospital. It was free through my insurance so well worth it for me!

October 31, 2018 at 2:03 pm

It was free through my insurance as well, so I figured I should do it.

Katherine
    October 24, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Yes, I get one, my mom always did too. She had the flu once and she said it was the worst she’s ever felt. She had nine kids and took care of everyone all the time. So I think that is a pretty good endorsement. She was also a nurse and had seen some pretty bad impact of people with the flu.

Daisy
    October 24, 2018 at 5:42 pm

I do not get one. And for what it’s worth, a friend in med school is required by her job at the school to get a flu shot every year, but if it was up to her, she wouldn’t get one. I’m pretty healthy even though I have asthma that flares up when I get bronchitis. (is that possible? asthma that flares up occasionally?)

October 31, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Wow, the flare ups must be tough. I’ve had bronchitis, which is awful all on its own.

Kim
    October 24, 2018 at 6:38 pm

I get one every year. And the years I skipped them, I was very sick.

October 31, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I haven’t experienced much sickness, which makes me extremely grateful. It’s smart to get one though if you know you have issues.

mfclingan
    October 26, 2018 at 8:13 am

I do not get one. I’m not interacting with at risk people…nor am I in an at risk category. I’ve never gotten one and so far so good.

spiffi
    November 3, 2018 at 10:52 pm

I get one every year – it is covered by my insurance, and there is no downside. I benefit by having a lesser chance of getting sick, or at least having a less severe case of the flu if I catch it. And I am part of the herd protecting the people around me who are more vulnerable due to impaired immune systems. In my case, I happen to know that my coworker’s grandson is one of those people – if I get sick and share with my coworker, his grandson could end up in the hospital for a week.

But really – even if you don’t know anyone who you think is vulnerable – who do *they* know and interact with? As someone said above – vaccinations are not so much about the individual, but about building up immunity within the entire community to reduce the risk.

Miranda
    November 11, 2018 at 8:44 am

I get one every year. It’s not about the individual, it’s about the broader population (herd immunity). It costs you nothing to get a flu shot and the worst side effect is a couple of sluggish days and a bruised arm, but the benefit to every immune-compromised, child or elderly person is enormous. A healthy person’s minor inconvenience can literally save someone else’s life.